GT class--buggy-based on road!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:11 AM
Tech Elite

Arif, 5-6 months is a long time, better get ready to travel or get some VRC wheel time

I'm sure the new track will be awsome when its finished.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi Arif. It was great running with you at Mikes. That was the first time I raced that car. Its an old Ofna GT that my friend Daniel A. in San Antonio loaned me. He had 2 of them in a box. I lengthened the car about 10mm and used a front suspension set-up in the rear turned around backwards. This allowed adjustable toe-in in the rear which is very important in order to race. I found some traxxas springs that worked. The springs that come with the cars were too long and too soft. I had some 55 shore impamema tires but they weren't quite as grippy as Arif's. Arif noticed this during qualifying and asked if I wanted to borrow some 45s that he had. When I tried them it was much more stable and I could keep more corner speed. One nice thing about these cars is that everything happens in slow motion so you can actually see the changes in suspension and set-up as you car goes through each corner instead of just looking at lap times. I was using an old on-road .21 engine and Arif was using a .21 buggy engine. I was a little faster on the straight and Arif was faster coming off of corners. The clutch was awful. I wish I could have made an on-road adjustable clutch set-up work. This car is just begging for a good clutch. All-in-all it was a lot of fun. And thanks to Arif and his sportsmanship, it was even more fun. See you next time..
Old 12-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Arif, 5-6 months is a long time, better get ready to travel or get some VRC wheel time

I'm sure the new track will be awsome when its finished.
Traveling and VRC, planning on doing both. I am not aware if any neighboring cities that race the 1/8 GT Class; therefore, I will run a 200mm TC on Ipanema 1/10 Rubber Tires for the meantime.

Last edited by vadn1; 12-16-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lou LaDuca
Hi Arif. It was great running with you at Mikes. That was the first time I raced that car. Its an old Ofna GT that my friend Daniel A. in San Antonio loaned me.... All-in-all it was a lot of fun. And thanks to Arif and his sportsmanship, it was even more fun. See you next time..
Lou,
It was a pleasure to race against you. It's good to see some of the 1/8 open drivers give this class a try, I hope you consider the 1/8 GT Class again when Gulf Coast opens back up. You did great considering the Frankenstein GT car you used. I could only imagine what you could do with a DM-1 Spec car, the right shore of tires, a proper setup, and several weekend of racing with the car.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Gt

Just got my gt try get it ready
Old 12-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Mika, those metal rims look nice too.
thanks Jeff. I think they'll remain as show wheels only, Ipanemas for racing

I've been doing some nice "race mods" to my IGT2, however, I will have to also wait another 3-5 months to get it out & running

will post some "spy pics" later on my site http://www.snrt.net

Merry Christmas to you All
Old 12-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by impalabob64
Just got my gt try get it ready
Way to go Bobby,where's your first run? SS I hope

Last edited by kmichael; 12-16-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Smile

Lou,
I want to say you sorry about a bunch of hits that I gave to your car. I was driving the red car (Ferrari body). I promise you next time I don’t gonna hit your car.

The race at Mikes was very fun. My car had a really bad setup and also the body didn’t help me but I enjoyed it alot. I was using a slick kyosho slick tires 45 shore and the epanema tires are a way better. At the end of the race my tires were gone.
I go to prepare my car for the next season.
This class go to be fun.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by japtj2000
Lou,
I want to say you sorry about a bunch of hits that I gave to your car. I was driving the red car (Ferrari body). I promise you next time I don’t gonna hit your car.

The race at Mikes was very fun. My car had a really bad setup and also the body didn’t help me but I enjoyed it alot. I was using a slick kyosho slick tires 45 shore and the epanema tires are a way better. At the end of the race my tires were gone.
I go to prepare my car for the next season.
This class go to be fun.
Jorge,
Next season Ipanema tires are the only tires you need.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:27 AM
Tech Master

"spy shots" of my race-tuned GT2

Pullstart is not as racy as a starterbox, but can become handy at the track since it's a large car. Both will work here.

Alum gears make the clutchbell several grams lighter than steel gears. Not as durable though.

Alum shock bodies at rear.

Ball raced servosaver makes steering highly responsive and free

Refuel holes and the pullstart handle

Last edited by MikaR; 12-17-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

what did you use to cut those nicly cut port holes?
Old 12-17-2008, 07:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

MikaR,
You have done some really nice mods on your IGT2, not just for looks but for fuctional uses as well. Good choice on Servos, Futaba S9351s. Looks like you are shooting for 1st place at all the races next season. Also consider installing a DM-1 wing out back. A few guys where I race notice the rear wing position is not in the best position, and complain about a flopping wing.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Cheers Vad You nailed it ;-) And thanks for the tip, will look into that.

Holes are done with Dremel; first drill small holes, then cut the piece off with a round blade and finalize with grinder.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Cheers Everyone,

Just thought I'd chime in. I was the pitman for Lou at the GCRC race this last weekend. That 1/8 scale buggy-based onroad class was really fun to watch and be a part of. Unfortunately for Lou we had a flame out on one of his pitstops. I raced 1/10 200mm and my clutched locked up in the main after the spring nut backed all the way out. Put more locktite on it and all is okay now. Guess I should have checked it before I put in that new Capricorn Power Clutch.

Anyway, just thought I'd see what you all thought of this kit coming out from BMT. Looks really trick and has a single speed or 2 speed as indicated in the photos. The rules for the Rally Game class in Europe only allow for a single speed trans. I guess they wanted to also make it attractive for racers state side, hence the 2 speed trans. Let me know what you all think???

http://www.redrc.net/2008/12/bmt-081...-game-chassis/

Regards,
Daniel
AKA: Speyederjedi
Old 12-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My bad on the prior post, the photos show the single speed trans only but they reference the 2 speed adaption in the article.

Regards,
Speyederjedi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.