Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

20%
Old 11-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

20% here too..
Old 11-15-2008, 04:51 AM
Tech Adept

I am planning on getting a GT car for racing here at Houston's Mike's Hobbies (GT Crowd growing fast here). I can't decide between the IGT2 and the DM1. Could you guys explain the differences in performance and advice on which car offer more performance flexibility. Cost is not necessarily a consideration as both cars are reasonbaly close in price after all is said and done. We will be running a spec class here at Mike's.

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Erchur
I am planning on getting a GT car for racing here at Houston's Mike's Hobbies (GT Crowd growing fast here). I can't decide between the IGT2 and the DM1. Could you guys explain the differences in performance and advice on which car offer more performance flexibility. Cost is not necessarily a consideration as both cars are reasonbaly close in price after all is said and done. We will be running a spec class here at Mike's.

Thanks!
Eduardo,
If Mike's is going to race 1/8 GT Spec Class then pick up the IGT2. All the Spec Class rules evolved around Kyosho IGT. If you run open class the DM-1 pro Spec kit car is the better car.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Tech Adept

vadn1

I have not driven either car, but I'll have to agree with your recommendation based on specs. The DM1 out of the box appears to have nicer features (i.e., three shoe clutch, aluminum shocks, more adjustments for roll center etc.).

I like both cars and I am still undecided which one to get. Ultimately it will come down to what cars are mostly run at your local track since you are able to share spare parts when needed. The jury is still out at Mike's as to the GT crowd car of choice.

If I decide to get IGT2 then I would have to upgrade the features (or lack of) that bug me the most (i.e., plastic shocks and two shoe clutch).

Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

vadn1

I have not driven either car, but I'll have to agree with your recommendation based on specs. The DM1 out of the box appears to have nicer features (i.e., three shoe clutch, aluminum shocks, more adjustments for roll center etc.).

I like both cars and I am still undecided which one to get. Ultimately it will come down to what cars are mostly run at your local track since you are able to share spare parts when needed. The jury is still out at Mike's as to the GT crowd car of choice.

If I decide to get IGT2 then I would have to upgrade the features (or lack of) that bug me the most (i.e., plastic shocks and two shoe clutch).

Thanks for the advice.
Eduardo,
If you can come out to the track, Mike Hobby shop, tomorrow, Nov 16th, Elton and I will be out there form 10am to 3pm for open practice. I know you are in Katy and it is a bit of a drive but if you come out and look at the cars closely and see the difference then it might help you decide. Elton has the IGT2 and the DM-1, yes he has both, so he is the man who would know the difference btwn the two cars. Come out I will let you drive my DM-1.

From my understanding the new IGT2 comes with aluminum shocks and the 2 shoe clutch is very good, but doesn't compare to the three shoe clutches.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If the GT2 is suppose to have aluminum shocks they missed adding those to my car...plastic...just like the GT.

Post race teardown. The cap screw that holds the clutch bell to the engine had come loose and bored a hold into the fuel tank... fuel leaked out and ended my race (this was a new one in my book). I had to loctite many screws when I got the first GT. In my haste to race I didn't go over the car. My mistake. The two screws that hold the steering knuckle to the hub carrier are particularly vunerable. The set screws in all the drive hubs are not secured until you do it. Of course the engine mount screws need attention.

Normally, I would have gone over all these points before racing...the 'rush' to get this on the track and race kept me from doing what should be considered normal prep. If you take one of these out of the box and expect it to be secure you are mistaken. This is not a complaint... Just a reminder...

Last edited by Zootcapri; 11-17-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Tech Master

Inferno GT shocks are the same as before. Only the color on anodization has changed from silver to blue. Alum shocks are optional.

There's nothing wrong with the composite 2-piece clutch; the reason why it's not used in offroad anymore is that if the spring breaks you have to go to the pits unlike with the 3-piece shoe where you can still continue driving even if one spring is broken. Tuning is possible with both by changing the tension of spring. 2-piece is easier to maintain without special tools (not expensive though).

The screws that holds the steering knuckles on C-blocks are called "king pins". In my GT2 they were secured with loctite. But if you open them it's not a bad idea to put some new loctite in again.

Last edited by MikaR; 11-16-2008 at 10:27 PM. Reason: word missing
Old 11-16-2008, 08:24 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks!
both are good cars but the dm-1 1/7 scale is better made i wish someone will make two classes because a lot of tracks don't let the dm-1 race with igt but the igt2 is more the class of the 1/7 dm-1 and looks more scale so check out I95 showdown gt cars
Old 11-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Ofna has 2 different kits. They have the DM-1 1/7TH scale and the DM-1SPEC 1/8TH . The spec chassis is legal to run with the gt and gt2.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Tech Adept

so why can't the 1/7 dm-1 race with the igt2 because there no real difference in the size because if size ithe reason the igt2 shouldn't race with igt just a opinion
Old 11-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tbo713
so why can't the 1/7 dm-1 race with the igt2 because there no real difference in the size because if size ithe reason the igt2 shouldn't race with igt just a opinion
Actually, there is a size difference between the IGT2 and the original DM-One. The DM-One is a true 1/7th scale and the IGT2 is an 1/8th scale in a slightly extended chassis (the Kyosho STR truggy). I have raced my IGT1 against a bunch of IGT2s recently and performance-wise, there is not much difference at all between the two (with the right setup).
Old 11-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JLock
Actually, there is a size difference between the IGT2 and the original DM-One. The DM-One is a true 1/7th scale and the IGT2 is an 1/8th scale in a slightly extended chassis (the Kyosho STR truggy). I have raced my IGT1 against a bunch of IGT2s recently and performance-wise, there is not much difference at all between the two (with the right setup).
not enough difference to exclude the dm-1 because if you cut out thr rear on the igt2 body it will fit the dm-1
Old 11-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The original DM One was the bigger car. The DM One Spec is the shorter chassis that is most commonly raced in the GT class.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Just trying to clear things up!!

Originally Posted by ESWLFSE
The original DM One was the bigger car. The DM One Spec is the shorter chassis that is most commonly raced in the GT class.
What I think he's trying to say is that how come the GT2 can run with the GT1's and the DM1spec but the DM1 1/7th scale cant, when the GT2 is a few mm short from the 1/7th scale DM1, being though that the word was that ofna made the DM-1spec to race with the IGT1's and the GT2's were made to race against the DM1 1/7th scale due to the new sizes from each company, that should make a little since!!! or better yet let all the GT class cars just race each other no-matter what dont single out one car. so if they only allow the GT2 and the GT1 and the DM1spec race each other so what the DM-1 1/7th scale is just for parking lots and bashing or are they suppose to race 1/5th scale!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.