R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2007, 07:35 AM   #1
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wallnut, CA
Posts: 2,477
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default My Inferno GT/8ight hybrid




ROTO STARTER BABY!!!



This is all it took to make it work. I put 4 heat cycles on it and 3 tanks of 20% on it. It so sweet to be able to turn the car on with the body on and not have to mess withtrying to tune that piece of crap 28 :roll: . Its going to be a monster when I get it fully broken in and tuned. also going to gear it up to 18/24. Stock is like 14/18 I think. I'll post some videos once its all broken in running on 30%.
losifiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
Tech Elite
 
Jspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: America!
Posts: 3,513
Default Crazy Hot Rodders

Youíre gonna drive me to drinking
If you donít messing with that
Hot Roc Lincoln!
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
Tech Adept
 
Wild Tiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 187
Default

Nice mod losifiend, only thing is if you gear it up, it's only a 4 tooth split between 14/18, so unless you change the spurs aswell you'll have to keep the 4 tooth split, eg. 18/22 (not 18/24).
Wild Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wallnut, CA
Posts: 2,477
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Tiger View Post
Nice mod losifiend, only thing is if you gear it up, it's only a 4 tooth split between 14/18, so unless you change the spurs aswell you'll have to keep the 4 tooth split, eg. 18/22 (not 18/24).
Indeed. The gears I bought are 18/22. I allready bought the HPI clutchbell, and clutchbell gears. Also have to swap out the flywheel(using an LST2 one right now) but Im keeping the carbon shoes(from an Aftershock).

Thanks for the heads up though.
losifiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:57 PM   #5
Tech Addict
 
DogboneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: - NH - USA -
Posts: 552
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Are you using a full SG shaft or did you cut the crank? Maybe you could post a pic of the clutch setup your using and recommend parts to use. I was thinking of using a centax setup in mine, I'd rather not cut my crankshaft.
DogboneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:57 PM   #6
Tech Adept
 
Wild Tiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 187
Default

Sounds cool losifiend, should all work fine.

I'm thinking of getting an Inferno GT soon and will probably put 2 engine's in it.I'm trying to work out some gear ratio's of my own but can't find anywhere what the gears are Can you please tell me how many teeth the spurs are(1st & 2nd gear) and are the stock pinions 14/18 or 14/17 ??
Wild Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:02 AM   #7
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wallnut, CA
Posts: 2,477
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogboneS View Post
Are you using a full SG shaft or did you cut the crank? Maybe you could post a pic of the clutch setup your using and recommend parts to use. I was thinking of using a centax setup in mine, I'd rather not cut my crankshaft.
Yes I'm using the standard SG shaft. You only need to cut it if you are going to use the stock clutch setup.

Using these motor mounts it allows you to place an after market motor closer to the center trans so you dont need such a long shaft. All though, I still had to shim the flywheel to place it furteh forward and cathc at least more than 1/2 the spur geras...... I will post pictures of how I did it when I get home so you can get the idea.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Tiger View Post
Sounds cool losifiend, should all work fine.

I'm thinking of getting an Inferno GT soon and will probably put 2 engine's in it.I'm trying to work out some gear ratio's of my own but can't find anywhere what the gears are Can you please tell me how many teeth the spurs are(1st & 2nd gear) and are the stock pinions 14/18 or 14/17 ??
Two motors . I blipped full throttle twice after 6 tanks of fuel and leaning it only 1 hour and this thing if a flippen rocket!! It has to at least be doing 60MPH. On a curve, if I let second kic in, teh torque will spin the car around. GEaring it up I'm hoping to radar it or GPS it closer to 70 but I cant imagine 2 engined in this car unless you convert it to single diff so you can use the metal spur gear. I think the plastic gears will strip as they arent made of the best material.
losifiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:19 AM   #8
Tech Elite
 
Jspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: America!
Posts: 3,513
Default Dual Engine Inferno GT?

There was an article in one of the RC magazines where they did a dual engine conversion to a Kyosho Truggy, basically the same chassis, just a little longer, You might try to find the info there.

I wish I could remember more but it had all the parts needed to make the beast.
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:07 AM   #9
Tech Adept
 
Wild Tiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Two motors . I blipped full throttle twice after 6 tanks of fuel and leaning it only 1 hour and this thing if a flippen rocket!! It has to at least be doing 60MPH. On a curve, if I let second kic in, teh torque will spin the car around. GEaring it up I'm hoping to radar it or GPS it closer to 70 but I cant imagine 2 engined in this car unless you convert it to single diff so you can use the metal spur gear. I think the plastic gears will strip as they arent made of the best material.
Today 01:57 PM
Single diff It's gonna stay 4WD and still keep the 2-speed, and yeah I'm looking into getting the metal gears for the 2 speed, BUT I NEED TO KNOW WHAT THE STOCK GEARS ARE(SPUR'S & PINIONS) ??????????

Quote:
There was an article in one of the RC magazines where they did a dual engine conversion to a Kyosho Truggy, basically the same chassis, just a little longer, You might try to find the info there.

I wish I could remember more but it had all the parts needed to make the beast.
Looking at the chassis, there's heaps of room to fit 2, so wana keep the wheel base the same! Thats ok, I always end up finding the parts anyway.
This project is at least 4-6 months away, as I have just completed a 1/5 scale FG truck bodyshell with a heavily modified LST2 chassis underneath.
OH did I mention it has 3x .30's in it.
I know what you gonna say (after the OMG) You wants pic's!! They will be posted when it's 100% complete.(90% done).
Wild Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:03 AM   #10
Tech Addict
 
DogboneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: - NH - USA -
Posts: 552
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

"The spur gears are the same as the previous car. Only the clutch bell and gears have changed, so the spur gears are still GTW20-2 and the new clutch is GTW26 with a 15T pinion for first gear and 19T for second." from another forum.
I quess the new Ferrari IGT comes with taller gearing. Stock was 14/17 on the bell.
DogboneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:09 AM   #11
Tech Adept
 
Wild Tiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
"The spur gears are the same as the previous car.
Which are what ????? I don't have the car !!!! I'm after a number, eg. 1st gear is 48 tooth and 2nd gear is 44 tooth. That is what I would like to know.
Wild Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:23 PM   #12
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wallnut, CA
Posts: 2,477
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Tiger View Post
Which are what ????? I don't have the car !!!! I'm after a number, eg. 1st gear is 48 tooth and 2nd gear is 44 tooth. That is what I would like to know.
They are 43/46. I just checked them. It seems odd but the way they are staggerd the clutch bell pinions need to be 4 teeh apart or it wont mesh rite.

You can convert to single center diff and still have it be 4wd. You made a comment couple posts up like if you went center diff you would loose 4wd. You wont. Its the best way to convert to single speed. A 46 metal spur with a LST2 25 tooth pinion would own!!

You might find a metal 46 gear but you will not find a 43 for the 2 speed. The 43 spur gear is made in a specific way, and unless you have one milled, no one on the market offers one yet. It doesnt use a typical 2 shoe two speed. It uses a cytrifigal pin that pops out and hook a plastic piece on the 43 spur gear.

If you convert to single center diff you can gear it as tall as you want because single metal spur gears and high tooth count clutch bells are plenty.

Go about the project as you want, I'm just telling you what I have found, conventionally, so far works and does'nt works on this platform.
losifiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:11 AM   #13
Tech Adept
 
Wild Tiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
losifiend Quote:

They are 43/46. I just checked them. It seems odd but the way they are staggerd the clutch bell pinions need to be 4 teeh apart or it wont mesh rite.

You can convert to single center diff and still have it be 4wd. You made a comment couple posts up like if you went center diff you would loose 4wd. You wont. Its the best way to convert to single speed. A 46 metal spur with a LST2 25 tooth pinion would own!!

You might find a metal 46 gear but you will not find a 43 for the 2 speed. The 43 spur gear is made in a specific way, and unless you have one milled, no one on the market offers one yet. It doesnt use a typical 2 shoe two speed. It uses a cytrifigal pin that pops out and hook a plastic piece on the 43 spur gear.

If you convert to single center diff you can gear it as tall as you want because single metal spur gears and high tooth count clutch bells are plenty.

Go about the project as you want, I'm just telling you what I have found, conventionally, so far works and does'nt works on this platform.

THANK YOU very much, now i can work out some ratio's !!
I wanna keep the 2speed and not convert to a single centre diff.
I've got the steel 25 losi in mind, and will have to find the rest.

I'm pretty sure GV makes a steel 38 tooth

I will probably use a 6 or 7 tooth split and try and gear it tall for the top end and yet still have 1st gear to spin the wheels on take off (2 eng.'s remember)!

Never really liked the pin that throws out when 2nd comes in, prefer the 2 shoes! Hows your 2 speed going, any problems with it? Is it a reliable pin and is it pretty consistant ????

Your input is much appreciated, so thanx for the info !!
Wild Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:40 AM   #14
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wallnut, CA
Posts: 2,477
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

It works good but second gear will be a maintenance issue. I allready lost one due to motor mount screw(Locktite FTW!..lol) coming loose and stripping it. When I replaced the gear it looked like every time it grabs it takes a beating and thats why I say it will be a maintenace issue. I'm cointing this time to see how many tanks I can get out of it befor the plastic where the pin grabs gives way. But its super easy to chanege it out. 4 screws and one grub screw, 10 minute job at the most.

Check this out, I was told by some one on another board that this would not work. Well I'm not the one to take no for an answer so see for yourself. The gears are HPI 18/22. The clutchbell is an LST2 threaded bell and the flywheel and shoes are from an Aftershock....total Frankenstien but I have allway been about function over form






All this with no modifications to the chassis!!
losifiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:07 AM   #15
Tech Elite
 
Jspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: America!
Posts: 3,513
Default Dr. Frankenstien!

That's great Dr. Frankenstien!

Get a radar gun on that car, tell us how fast it goes.
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
brushless/lipo B4 trade for 8ight/inferno GT wfdfiremedic R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 12-21-2007 06:13 PM
mf2/mf1/cr hybrid pink_sleeve R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 13 11-05-2007 02:36 PM
Largest Kyosho Mini Inferno/half 8 sale all with brushless 2 infernos, 1 inferno ST nobike R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 114 03-27-2007 10:00 AM
KM Concept Mini Inferno/Inferno ST Graphite Conversion kit (blue) SpeedTech Micro and Mini Scales 5 09-06-2006 09:02 PM
X1 Hybrid T1 RH Customs Buyer/Seller dispute and Feedback discussion forum 0 05-10-2006 11:17 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:28 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net