R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-15-2007, 01:58 PM   #76
Tech Elite

Scheduling is probably the most critical task before me (at least in the short term). I'll try to keep things spaced out as best I can. I may want to go to some of those races too...
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:50 PM   #77
Tech Elite

KIMI WINS!! Raikonnen wins F1 championships!!! Fantastic drive in Brazil.... Cangrats to the "Iceman"...
Old 10-21-2007, 04:32 PM   #78
Tech Regular

Default Picking the races and tracks.

I have to agree that five races would be plenty for the MWS in 2008. There will always be a date that will conflict for some of us. Dropping one race because of schedules, work or vacations would allow a choice to compete in four of them w/o changing the point system.

I hope that when the tracks are picked.............it's actually done by voting! Perhaps by a poll on here or by email as Mark Unger did when he put feelers out for 2007. Some of the lists of tracks that I see above have left out some home tracks where their members supported the OTHER tracks.

I've always enjoyed racing at the Ontario Club, and hope that it will make the list. I do wonder one thing, and maybe some of the Canadians can help with this. The borders are starting to require US Passports for entry. Is there a timeframe where a passport is mandatory?
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:47 PM   #79
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneland View Post
KIMI WINS!! Raikonnen wins F1 championships!!! Fantastic drive in Brazil.... Cangrats to the "Iceman"...
guess i won't need to watch it on my tivo tonight
Old 10-21-2007, 07:04 PM   #80
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

US Customs will require a passport to get back in the US sometime this summer ('08) The date has not been set yet. Beat the last minute rush and get one. It's good for 10 yrs. and you'll be using it eventually.
The last time I went to enter Canada, one of the persons in my party got us banned because of a DUI conviction...I was driving and they did the prerequisite "search" of my vehicle. 2hrs later, I swore I would never go back there. But, to race is a different matter.
TeamCarnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:11 AM   #81
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkelley View Post
guess i won't need to watch it on my tivo tonight
Sorry about that Tom! Watch it anyway, it was great...
Old 11-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #82
Tech Elite

There continues to be some activity on the thread for 1/8 TC or 'GT' class.
Much of it is centered around the Kyosho Inferno GT 'spec' class.
I am wondering how many would rather see it added to the MWS in this form?
My own thinking is that a broader appeal would be obtained with a more open approach. As in, allowing re-purposed buggies and other brand on-road and rally cars in the field. I have yet to decide on this class, but am leaning toward it's addition in some form. Please feel free to post your opinions, especially if you are interested in racing in this class.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:00 PM   #83
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't run this class. But I do have an 1/8th scale buggy sitting here that would make a great project. It would be cool to transform it(re-purpose) from one class of racing to another. That alone, would make me consider running another class. I'm a die haed TC guy and do own an Evolva. It's just not enjoyable to me to try and be competitive in two classes. The GT class should be pretty laid back and would be a great 2nd class.
I'll definately be keeping an eye on how this new proposed class develops.
TeamCarnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:54 PM   #84
Tech Elite

Quote:
My own thinking is that a broader appeal would be obtained with a more open approach. As in, allowing re-purposed buggies and other brand on-road and rally cars in the field. I have yet to decide on this class, but am leaning toward it's addition in some form. Please feel free to post your opinions, especially if you are interested in racing in this class.
Duneland,

Very true, we’re actually looking at 3 classes to add to some of our on-road events. Two of them are Kyosho “Spec” classes & the other class is for any converted buggy chassis called “Rally Open”.

The Rally Open class we’re working on is for those racers who have off-road buggies that can be converted or an off-road racer that might want to try on-road for a reasonable price. A typical off-road buggy will need to change tires, install a front bumper under the body to help support the body and install a full body on the car. There is roughly $100 - $150 needed to change a 1/8 scale buggy over to a Rally car.
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:10 PM   #85
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I plan to race in the 1/8 'GT' class if it is offered in the Midwest series. I have no problem including cars in either stock or modified form in the class and race them together with some descriptive identifier for stock or open configuration.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:42 AM   #86
Tech Regular

Default 1/8th GT class

Quote:
Ron,

I agree with you as stated above....." a broader appeal would be obtained with a more open approach. As in, allowing re-purposed buggies and other brand on-road and rally cars in the field.' But, Ron, I think it should be buggy based only, not any form of on-road cars. Strictly 1/8th buggy based. That way the competition would be more suited for one another and have a more even playing field. From what I have seen, almost all the manufacturers out there have a 4WD 1/8th scale buggy in there Off Road line-up. And I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that have them. I really like the looks and the effort Kyosho has done with the Inferno GT RTR. Whay a great idea....and price too! The fun factor looks like it's great. But if someone already has a 1/8th buggy from another manufacturer all they need to do to convert to a "1/8th GT class" is add lower shock towers, new body mounts, 1/8th GT body, front bumper, tires and they now have a "GT class" car without spending a lot of money. And if someone wants to run in the MWS in the 1/8th GT class and doesn't have an Off Road buggy at all, they can buy the Kyosho IGT RTR and they still haven't spent a ton of money. My whole point here is let's keep this "GT class" as 1/8th buggy based. Just my opinion.

Thanks,
Dave Berry
all4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:01 AM   #87
Tech Regular

Default Anything New

Just wondering if the schedule has been finalized for '08?? I travel extensively for business and want to be able to plan my racing schedule for '08 as well as other races around the country.

There is alot of interest in the 1/8th buggy class.............and finalization of any kind of rules? Some of the hobbyshops would like to help promote this venue of racing since there are such a huge number of 1/8th buggys sold vs on road racers.

Just curious? Anybody?
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #88
Tech Elite

Ray, I am working on the schedule now and should have it set within 2 or 3 weeks.
I will post the rules/deffinition for the GT class soon. I have it pretty much complete.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:43 AM   #89
Tech Regular

How is the Old 2008 Midwest Series schedule coming? Eli has concerns.
XPHamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:57 AM   #90
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You must be a mind reader Ted.......... I was just typing when I seen that you asked