R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-02-2007, 10:13 PM   #31
Tech Addict

tomkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:01 AM   #32
Tech Adept

Default Great Idea !

I've run some of the midwest races over the last several years and I think that this might be a great class for the fun factor.

Just a question though, would the Ofna DM-one be considered as part of this class ?

As it is called 1/7th scale.
fastrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:40 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrcracer View Post
I've run some of the midwest races over the last several years and I think that this might be a great class for the fun factor.

Just a question though, would the Ofna DM-one be considered as part of this class ?

As it is called 1/7th scale.
That's a good question. I am not concerned with it being referred to as 1/7th scale. I am more concerned with it's departure from the 'buggy' heritage. Suspension layout is quite different. It is also a bit more expensive than the other candidates.

Anyone else?
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #34
Tech Regular

Just a thought - it seems the underlying reason was to get new people involved in racing with this class of cars, if you allow a bunch of experienced racers to use this as a second class you'll probably set the competition level high enough new people will feel intimidated just like they do when looking at current classes.
Rick Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:16 PM   #35
Tech Elite

On the subject of cost... OFNA Ultra GTP is available in ARR form for around $199. Axial .28 is $130 or so. Picco .28 is about $199. Force .28 is around $135.
Chump-change compaired to what we are used to.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:31 PM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Davis View Post
Just a thought - it seems the underlying reason was to get new people involved in racing with this class of cars, if you allow a bunch of experienced racers to use this as a second class you'll probably set the competition level high enough new people will feel intimidated just like they do when looking at current classes.

AMEN
Old 10-03-2007, 01:18 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Quote:
Rick,
I was actually thinking more along the lines of getting more racers into the series. As opposed to getting new people into the hobby. Don't get me wrong, that's great too! For the most part, I don't think you will find too many people interested in traveling several hours, spending $ for lodging, meals and such, to race toy cars.....Gotta get em' hooked on the local level first. I see this class as an oportunity to 'broaden' the appeal. Perhaps we can capitalize on the immense popularity of 1/8 buggies & siphon off some of their racers (even if it is only for one weekend a month).
Old 10-04-2007, 04:31 AM   #38
Tech Regular

Default GT class

After looking at some of the videos Tom Kelley posted, they sure look like alot of fun to drive. They don't carry the speed into the corners as the 1/8th and sedans. This will definately slow them down alot, and there will be alot less parts breakage. The bodies look to be pretty realistic as well.

In order to get this class going, it's going to take posting some flyers at the hobby shops. Most of the Midwest Series tracks have afew warm-up races at the beginning of the season. Having a list of tracks where you can run them, and the race schedule for the tracks would be needed. A flyer with afew pic's of the cars and what you need to run them will also be helpful. Pictures of the cars and a list of tires and bodies that work good would be really useful for newbies.
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:13 AM   #39
Tech Regular

Quote:

I can understand that concern. It's hard to argue against it.
For myself I would like to run the class for fun and have a car to play with at home. That being said.... I know it would be easy to get competitive and hurt the fun part for new people.
I want to work on my Sedan in between heats not the GT. Perhaps the rules could keep the "experienced" racer from getting carried away by limiting car changes. Maybe the Midwest series could create some "handicap" system like Golf or bowling to make it tough on experienced guys and great for those who start off slow and gain speed as they go???
One upside for having experienced drivers in the class....... They can help the new people!
Clubs or series out west who have started this class may have more experience and advice by the time our snow melts.
Andy who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:56 AM   #40
Tech Elite

One of the more positive aspects of the Midwest Series, is the equity of treatment for drivers of all skill levels.
Everyone gets the same oportunity for track time, same length of main, and Brians' race reports cover the lower mains with the same respect as the A!
We have a wide variety of skill and experience levels in our current two classes as well as the now defunct outlaw class.
This will be true with any new class offered.
The proposed 'GT' class does have a lot of appeal to a less experienced/skilled driver..due to it being large, forgiving and a bit slower through the corners. Less expensive doesn't hurt either! But I don't see it as a means of getting newcomers into the Hobby! Getting people into R/C racing, is not something that a Series can do effectively. That is something that has to be accomplished at the local level. What I want to do is get more racers into our series. Maybe we can coax a few off-roaders away from the 'Darkside'!
Old 10-05-2007, 09:30 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Default Not all Rally cars are created equal

Food for thought…..

Not all “Rally Game GT” cars raced in Europe are buggy based.

Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:16 PM   #42
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

A rally class would allow the Series event to continue in the case of "R**n"...
Old 10-06-2007, 08:21 AM   #43
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I support the idea 100% looks like a lot of fun.
mtx3ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:30 PM   #44
Tech Elite

It appears that there is enough interest to go ahead with the class.
What remains is, to establish the class definition.
Some others are running a 'spec' class using the Inferno GT. I am not to crazy about that approach as it limits us to one chassis and eliminates the use of an old buggy converted for on-road. I am open to suggestions but am leaning towards any buggy converted to on-road use, or the factory produced Inferno GT, OFNA GTP, or the Hot Bodies Lightning on-road car (this one is discontinued but they are still out there).
As for engines, I would like to see them limited to a certain range of engines. Such as the Force .28's, Axial 28, etc. The list would be longer than that, but one problem with engine restrictions is TECH! I would like to see the costs kept down for this class but don't want a tech nightmare.
I don't think the expensive on-road .21s would be a good choice anyway. I tried a MS NovaMega .21 in a buggy a couple years ago. It was a dog comming out of corners, but kicked in nicely about 1/2 way down the straight! Not enough low-end for the heavier buggy. These GTs are over 8 pounds & the extra torque of the .28 off-road engines will likely be the way to go.
Anyway, I am interested in hearing from those that want to run the class, as to what engine restrictions (if any), you would like to see. Feel free to post you 2 cents worth.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:55 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ron,

How about this:

Any sport level .28 or smaller engine
Any 1/8 buggy chassis converted to on road
Must run a Sedan or Sportscar style body, no buggy bodies or wings
Any radio system
Rubber tires, there are purpose made tires or street treads from several sources
2 speed is allowed

Keep it simple, inexpensive, and fun. I know several of the guys here at work who are dirt drivers expressed interest when I mentioned this class.

Rick
Rick Vessell is offline   Reply With Quote