R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-01-2007, 10:19 AM   #16
Tech Adept

I'd suggest that an Inferno based GT car be tested at the larger tracks prior to introducing this type of class. John Elliot tested an RTR Kyosho GT earlier in the year at our Hamilton, Ontario track. He experienced some glitching issues that were ultimately attributed to insufficient radio range with the kit RTR radio.
GSwayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:03 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSwayze View Post
I'd suggest that an Inferno based GT car be tested at the larger tracks prior to introducing this type of class. John Elliot tested an RTR Kyosho GT earlier in the year at our Hamilton, Ontario track. He experienced some glitching issues that were ultimately attributed to insufficient radio range with the kit RTR radio.
What I am suggesting is not a 'spec' class, where everyone would have to run RTR electronics. The typical 27 band AM system is more frustrating than it is worth. It would simply be an on-road class based on a 1/8 buggy chassis. One requirement should be that they must run a buggy engine (even an expensive buggy engine is cheaper than an on-road .21).
Leisure Hours has a spec class with the Inferno GT being the only car allowed. Racers must use the kit engine but are allowed to change the electronics out for stuff that actually works. I am not to keen on making it a one brand spec class. That would not be inticing to an off-road guy who allready has a buggy, that could be converted. Since OFNA, Kyosho and Hot Bodies all have offerings for this class, one take most any buggy and add bumper, body mounts and 2 speed, to work in this class. Or, just buy one of their cars. Buggies are incredibly tough and are quite forgiving.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:07 AM   #18
Tech Addict

I think the GT class is a very good idea. As it stands right now, someone can buy a Kyosho Inferno GT RTR for less than 400 dollars. Granted it comes with a radio with only 6 available channels (which can be easily changed out). Also, it runs a .28 engine, and these cars really don't need anything exotic in the engine department to make them go. Rubber tires that come with them should work, and hopefully last for quite a while.

I hear that the Inferno GT is one of Kyosho's largest sellers this year. There are many other makes of cars that fit the bill. Essentially they all are offroad buggies modified for road use. The only big difference is that the buggies have a single speed, and the GT cars have 2 speeds. Rally promises to be a very good 'spec' class, including other buggy type rally cars.

Heres some pics of the Inferno GT
http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/carsand...rs/31815-B.asp
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...=154144&page=2

It looks like fun, I'd do it.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #19
Tech Elite

http://www.ofna.com/ugtp.php
http://www.ofna.com/hyper17.php
http://www.ofna.com/dm1-rtr.php
http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/carsand...rs/31815-B.asp
These are some that currently available RTR.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:12 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Hindsight is always... yada yada.

I wish I would have known sooner and I would have tried to have a Kyosho GT at the last Midwest race. I would be up for runing this next year as a second class. I picture it as a class where I can just throw it down to have extra fun at the track and finally have a car I can blast around with at home.
Andy who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:39 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Like Andy, Eli, Tom and Brian said......I agree that the GT class would be a great idea. It would be a new "refreshing" class to replace the previous retired (outlaw) class, not to mention your not droping a lot of money to get started. The thought of enticing new members from offroad to the MWS is also good for improving our attendence. The fun factor with this class should be very popular with everyone. I would get one in a heart beat. Having a 2nd class to run in the series to me would be great and especially like Andy said ........ just throw it on the track and have fun without worrying about spending a ton of money in parts and hop ups to go fast, just have fun in it's stock format. Also from what I have seen there are a good selection of different GT bodies available.

Dave Berry
all4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:18 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Lets kick around some hypothetical definitions for this class.
1. 1/8 buggy based on-road car.
2. Off-road RTR engine, .28 max. displacement (we can elaborate on this later).
3. Any radio gear.
4. Tires? I think anything that is actually produced for these cars, unless some reason for restrictions arises.
5. Body? Any full body, closed cockpit, produced for these cars?
Any other thoughts? Keep in mind, the more rules we make, the harder it is to tech....
Old 10-02-2007, 12:25 PM   #23
Tech Regular

One thing that you might want to test for the GT cars with Rubber tires is the traction/grip on our race tracks. During one of races in Cincy we had 1/5 cars (with rubber tires) and the guys talked about how "traction compound" actually caused the rubber tires to lose grip (stated dirty parking lots were better). Basically, compound helped foam tires pick up traction and rubber tires lose traction..

Just a thought, since most tracks "spray" something to increase the grip for the foam group. That same compound may actually make rubber tires worse.
Darint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:29 PM   #24
Tech Elite

There are foam tires available for these cars, if needed.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:32 PM   #25
Tech Rookie

not true for the GT cars darin. while at the byrons challege, bernie (owner of jouliett) had the car out before the mains started and the car actually drove very well. had plenty of traction. this was a treated perm track. he put nothing on the tires just took it out of his car and strted running laps.
hollywood37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:59 PM   #26
Tech Elite

They have bean running the Inferno GTs at Leisure, using rubber tires. They allow a limited selection of tires. They are hooked up pretty good.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Default GT Class introduction

GT Class:

1/8 Buggy Run what you brung.

Of course some suggestions as to body and tires would be fine, but most people would like to show up and just drive it on the track. Let the class develop itself. If five guys show up with buggys, and 2 don't have the right equipment and can't run................... they won't be back. For some of the guys who have run them.....post some suggestions on tires and body........and leave the rest alone. Just my $.02's

I've even seen beginning sedan drivers with to big a stinger, or running a five port. I put a blind eye to that. They get the rules in time...........and gradually become compliant.

Masters class in sedan? Hey I'm old enough!! Maybe I can finally be competitive too!

RayJ
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:43 PM   #28
Tech Addict

Essentially this is a new class, so we should not get to carried away with the rules, but try to keep overall appeal and costs into perspective. We migth have to let the class develope itself like RayJ said. Hopefully that way it would be a very close and competitive class.
-Without knowing how they actually work yet, I should hope with all good intentions of keeping costs down rubber tires be the type to run . I should hate to have to keep foams on these cars, they weigh alot more than most cars and I could imagine that wear rates would be greater with foams compared to 1/8th open cars. There are plenty of rubber tires out there to pick from that are made for onroad use on these cars, hopefully there'll be a few that will work.
-.28 offroad max, no onroad modifieds. Specify a maximum $250-300 street price rule.
-bodies should be anything that resembles 2 door or 4 door sedans, if someone shows up with a buggy shell, they can run, however, recommend that they must have a onroad conforming body in order to compete in the points.
-Name it Rally or GT class. Don't call it buggy. Rally is the designation in Europe.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:01 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Tom, we won't be calling them buggies. I was trying to help identify them to those that might not have seen them. They evolved out of buggies and share the same basic drive train and chassis layout. There are quite a few sedan, GTP and sports car bodies to choose from. I think that type of body should be required.
Engines... The engines I have in mind are under $200 street price. The Axial .28 that comes in the Robitronics Mantis is killer! Plus it sells for around $150!
Tires... I think we need to let it play out... IF one rubber tire or another, provides good traction and low wear, then perhaps a tire rule would be in order... I think we need to start without a tire rule & see where it goes.
From my sedan racing days, I was of the opinion that rubber tires cost a LOT more to run than foam. The tires that worked the best were only good for a couple of runs! Add to that; the insert of the week, belted or not, it got quite expensive to run. It's somewhat premature to worry about tires though...
Good to see some interest here... looks like it could fly..
Old 10-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #30
Tech Regular

GT class is already being run out west. I emailed back and forth a little with Kyosho today to see how it is out there. Off-road cars can easily be converted and at least Kyosho already has a list of parts to do so (two speed, shock towers, tires, body, etc.) The cost of a RTR is crazy cheap compared to what we normally race. I'll see what else I can find out. I agree with Dave B. that someone starting in GT can spend a season catching the nitro bug and maybe get into sedan or 1/8th to go faster.
Andy who? is offline   Reply With Quote