R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-16-2008, 09:57 PM   #226
Tech Rookie

Too Funny Ron

Wizby you would know better than myself I have very little to no experence when it comes to onroad racing..

How can this be a cost effective class without alot of expense? The cars intent were made to for bashing around the neighborhood.

I forgot to mention we should be able to use our own radio and servos.
Doug Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:26 AM   #227
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Doug- It would be great to have you at the track!! Another option for you would be to use one of your older shelfqueen buggies. It would be a fun project. I've got Ians MBX4 sitting here waiting for a 2speed and suspension mods..
TeamCarnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #228
Tech Regular

One spec tire and insert are the key to keeping costs down. The tracks in cinnci and joliet have different rules. Really curious how ron will structure the GT class.
wizby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:01 PM   #229
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default GT Class Question

RCTech doubled up on me here, sorry for the wasted space.

Last edited by Team Crash; 02-17-2008 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Double Post Sorry RCTech's fault
Team Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:03 PM   #230
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default GT Class Question

Dumb question but i know basically nothing (other than i hear it is alot of fun)of the Mid West Sieries, or Joyce Park track as of yet. Been talking to some members at my Local track and looking forward to getting into the 1/8 GT class.

My question is will the class be ran at all the big MWS races or just during the local club race levels?

In other words do the Fast guys and the not so Fast guys travel? Not that i would be traveling alot but trying to see what the options are for this class.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:26 PM   #231
Tech Regular

I beleive its a regular class at joyce park. And we expect the new director of MWS to include some form of this class at all MWS races. Never can tell how many guys travel to all 6 MWS races.
wizby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:07 PM   #232
Tech Rookie

Thanks Nick I would like to get the Inferno GT and sell the radio, servos and engine on ebay. You will have to post some pictures once the mbx 4 is converted to an on road car what sedan will you be racing this year? Sense my favorite class is 1/8 and I know how to set-up a buggy I figure some of that can translate into this class. I don't want to get serious with this class just think it would be a lot of fun to race and the MWS Races always put on a great show.

No offense but I would not want to run an engine by power racing? I think they would do more harm than good.. I know this might sound crazy for this class but Novarossi makes a Economy on-road engine and for a beginner or advanced racer this is the perfect engine that should last the entire season if treated right, yes they are some what expensive but worth there weight in gold with Awesome performance and reliability .

Check this out.. I always wanted the 959 as a kid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsfwt5Bmb3I
Old 02-17-2008, 10:41 PM   #233
Tech Rookie

One spec tire and insert are the key to keeping costs down - I agree! Wizby Do you have some tires in mind that would make a good fit for a spec tire?
Old 02-21-2008, 11:04 AM   #234
Tech Initiate

Default IGT Spec Racing In the MWS

Hey Doug, What do you mean by saying the power racing engines will do more harm than good? To me introducing a cheap spec engine is totally the way to go, especially to get new racers into the scene. As soon as we jump into novarossi and other high end engines is when the new commers drop out.
In our shop we have seen plenty of hobbiest buy these motors and have been satisfied. Also a good thing we could do for the series is have these motors on hand at the races for purchase to anyone who wants them for this class, and at 69.00 I think it would be perfect.
I think we should keep this class as simple and spec as we can, these engines are no better and no worse than the kyosho kit motors that come with the IGT ready to run kits, so if someone else has an ofna or other buggy conversion kit it will be easy to keep the cars close to each other.

One other think is that if we keep these motors spec than we wouldn't have to do any of this motor claiming rule thing which I personally don't like.
rodney01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:33 PM   #235
Tech Elite

We will not have a spec engine (at least for this season). Most of the cars that are available in this class, come with an engine. I'm not going to make those guys take the engine out and replace it with another. The PRP engine will be allowed and is every bit a match to the one that Kyosho puts in the IGT.
Some of the suggestions have been based on the idea of getting new people into the hobby/sport of R/C racing, and what is best for meeting that goal. The Midwest Series is NOT a good tool for achieving that. The MWS is set-up by and for Racers. It travels from site to site. As I have stated before, newcommers are not very likely to start out by travelling all around the region to race. They pretty much have to be racers already, before they even hear about the MWS.
What this class can do for us is, offer a less expensive, fun class to enhance our MWS weekends. I hope to get new people into the MWS, but I expect they will not be completely new to RC.
The weekly operations, such as; Leisure Hours, St. Louis, Cinci (Joyce Park, Hamilton), 301 Raceway, Toledo, etc. have a much better chance of getting new people into R/C racing. I would expect them to taylor the class descriptions of such a class, to meet their goals. Many of these tracks have already started racing this class in one form or another.
Some have decided to go the full on 'spec' route. Using the IGT with very minimal changes allowed. Others have adopted a more open aproach. I want to allow as much diversity as possible and still have a pretty level playing field.
I will post the rules in a few days. They will reflect the general guidlines I posted in earlier comments. We will probably have to address some issues for next season, but we need a starting place. Some things just can't be accurately predicted. I have a pretty good knowledge of what engines. tires, etc. are out there, but we need more first hand experience with the various options. I will do the best I can, to keep cost down, fun up, and competition close.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:58 PM   #236
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Crash View Post
Dumb question but i know basically nothing (other than i hear it is alot of fun)of the Mid West Sieries, or Joyce Park track as of yet. Been talking to some members at my Local track and looking forward to getting into the 1/8 GT class.

My question is will the class be ran at all the big MWS races or just during the local club race levels?

In other words do the Fast guys and the not so Fast guys travel? Not that i would be traveling alot but trying to see what the options are for this class.
Yes it will be offered at all the MWS races.
Racers of ALL skill levels travel to the MWS races. We expect this class to be even more 'fun' oriented than the other 2 classes. It probably will not feature the more elite racers, but there will be some pretty good racers in the mix. Whatever your skill level turns out to be, you will find some others of about the same level, to race closely with. Come join the fun!
Old 02-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #237
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to TeamPursuit

Team Pursuit will be there with the new PURSUIT PT1 1/8 Scale Model Race Car www.pursuitracing.com
TeamPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #238
Tech Elite

Welcome aboard! If I am not mistaken, the Pursuit is an evolution of the Yusa/PRP XR8? Under rated car IMO.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:34 PM   #239
Tech Rookie

What I mean is usually engines that are of low end cost come with some issues like air leaks, poor carbs, run hot..ect.. That could be more discouraging to a new racer. So my point is buy a good quality engine and avoid those issues right off the bat this way you can concentrate on car set-up and most important being able to practice..
Old 02-22-2008, 11:34 PM   #240
Tech Addict

Does anyone out there know how to mount a alternative motor to the IGT? It seems like you'd have to replace the chassis plate to use anything else other than a kyosho kit motor. The Kit motor comes with motor mounts cast into it, and the chassis it mounts to does not have screw holes.

Last edited by tomkelley; 02-23-2008 at 08:31 AM.
tomkelley is offline   Reply With Quote