Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Midwest Series '08' 39th year!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ted Flack
That is exactly what I am worried about. How bad do you guys want to set up a system where someone can accuse one of the people they hang with six weekends a year of being a no good low life cheater.
I would love to be claimed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not ??

I buy a $175 motor...I break it in, maybe run it once or twice before the race.............it runs really well.............
Someone claimes it at the end of the first MidWest series race for $200

Great, I just ran a really good motor had fun with it for 1 big race and a couple of practices maybe,
and I get $200 for it...............Yes For a used motor
!! I can go and get another brand new motor and still be in pocket by $25

The motor is legal, so I wont be diciplined or DQ'd !!

And I'll have a brand new motor for the next race.............. I'll be hoping I'd get claimed every race !!!!!!!!!

I my missing something???? Where's the problem???

British Menace
Old 01-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Tech Regular

Yes you are.

Re-read Eli, RayJ's and Mark's posts.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Tech Addict

Anyway, I'm really just here for debating this topic. Whatever Ron chooses will do for me. I do think that a claim rule would be a great benefit towards the fun factor, knowing that there's a price ceiling equalizing all engines in the field. No tech required. That would appeal to alot of people who just want to have fun.

Ted, I just thought of something, what if before the race begins, a participant may choose to opt out of the 'claim rule' as long as the majority of other participants agree to it. For instance, a guy dropped in a .21 onroad race motor, and says: "hey guys, this is all I got, is it ok with everyone?"

No hard feelings RayJ of course I know you were only kidding. This has been an interesting debate.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

NO ENGINE RULES! A great engine wont make you a better driver. And with the limited traction of these cars a killer engine will make it really hard to drive well.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ted Flack
Yes you are.

Re-read Eli, RayJ's and Mark's posts.
Read them once, nothing there???
Old 01-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wizby
NO ENGINE RULES! A great engine wont make you a better driver. And with the limited traction of these cars a killer engine will make it really hard to drive well.
You know what. That makes even better sence then we all do !!

lol

British Menace
Old 01-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

I am gonna get me one of these cars. I want to have fun with it. With the rubber tires.............really high center of gravity...........this class will be all about set-up and driving. After watching some of these Japanese race videos.....they look like a blast to drive. They lean all over.............transfer tons of weight.... and just don't have the tires to utilize the horsepower. Overdrive rubber tires and they'll get greasy......and slide. I also like the more realistic body styles. I'm gonna get me a plain jane kit.......upgrade the servos and radio gear, buy a cheap motor and I'll finally have my Aston Martin, Ferrari.....oh wait maybe a Porsche 911!!!
Old 01-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RayJ
I am gonna get me one of these cars. I want to have fun with it. With the rubber tires.............really high center of gravity...........this class will be all about set-up and driving. After watching some of these Japanese race videos.....they look like a blast to drive. They lean all over.............transfer tons of weight.... and just don't have the tires to utilize the horsepower. Overdrive rubber tires and they'll get greasy......and slide. I also like the more realistic body styles. I'm gonna get me a plain jane kit.......upgrade the servos and radio gear, buy a cheap motor and I'll finally have my Aston Martin, Ferrari.....oh wait maybe a Porsche 911!!!
Might just join you. Could be real fun!

Whatever the rules are?!

British Menace
Old 01-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Tech Regular

The message my other post is trying to get across is the best drivers will be up front at the end no matter what engine is in the car. Ron or the race director doesn't have the time to police alot of rules during a race weekend. Keep the rules very basic. And if you must a $300 claining rule enforced at the end of a race weekend.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

The Kyosho V-Slick rubber tires will surprise you when it comes to traction. Once they get warmed up they hook very well.

My Kyosho Inferno GT gets some insane “wheel-hop” with the stock .28 engine; it reminds me of an old GTO Judge I used to street race as a kid.

Our Kyosho IGT Spec class is a truly “level playing field” for everyone racing these cars; like the IROC days.

To win you need the right set-up for the track condition, throttle control, ability to drift the car when needed and some good luck.

For us, the IGT Spec class is the great equalizer, and we’re diggin it.
Something you guys up there should think about…….
Old 01-15-2008, 08:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Default KIGT Rules

Perhaps this has had enough discussion already, but I'd like to offer my support to Eli and Mark's comments. This is an entry level class and trying to make it more complicated than necessary defeats the purpose. I have watched these cars run at Leisure in Joliet and the rules they have seem to work well. (Thanks to Bernie -

Kyosho Inferno GT Spec Class Rules:

Car Rules:
1. Upgrade brakes.
2. Upgrade radio gear (servos, linkage, receiver and radio).
3. Add sway bars (front and rear)
4. Shock and diff oils can be changed.
5. Any shock position, caster position, ect., provided by the car (no drilling holes).
6. You may use a starter box, but pull-start must remain intact and operational.
7. Clutch gearing may change (14-15 first gear, 17-18-19 second gear, kyosho only).
8. Replacing threaded links with turnbuckles.
9. Kyosho V-slick in any of the 3 compounds for tires.

Body Rules:
1. Body must be cut on the manufacturer line.
2. You may cut the rear of the body no higher than 1 1/8th” when sitting flat on a surface.
3. Side window may be cut open for fueling.
4. Front window may be cut, but no larger than 3”x3”.
5. Rear window may but cut, but no larger than 2”x2”.
6. You may cut a hole for the glow plug ignitor.

Final Rule - If it doesn’t say you can do it, you CAN’T DO IT.

I would suggest using them for the first year and seeing how it goes. These guys seem to have a lot of fun and there not overly serious. Let's encourage some new racers!

Just my thoughts... Steve Lazarus
Old 01-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Tech Regular

I have a feeling the class will be open to more than just kyosho cars. And tires will be the drivers choice, foam or rubber.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Tech Initiate

I know this class is for igt, but i saw that some of the guys that run down in cinci run the ofna dm-1. would this car be allowed in the class. I asked this before but no one has commented. As for the rules I thing if there is a motor list of approaved motors that would be good as well as a gentelmans agreement to run the motors box stock, meaning no oppening of the exhaust ports or tinkering with anything internal on the motor. I know its a hard call to make but I think it will be a hard thing to tech efficently. Also the class should stay rubber tires and not foam, let it be a good second class that you don't have to spend a ton of time and money on.
Attached Thumbnails Midwest Series '08' 39th year!-dm1-2.jpg   Midwest Series '08' 39th year!-dm1-3.jpg  
Old 01-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

I dont think its in the MWS best interest to be a spec class that only involves one manufacturer. I would hope ofna cars are included.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Tech Regular

Rubber tires only. Foam tires are a very bad idea. Not only will the speeds go way up.....the playing field will not be level at all. People will have to invest money in all diffrent shores......have to true them down..... and on and on and on. They will also have to buy a tire truer.

I'm sure that there will be other buggys allowed.......but I am curious about the DM-1??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.