R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-12-2008, 07:31 AM   #151
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Flack

Instead of this $200 rule why not just make and approved list of motors? Its not like there are a ton of different options. Just limit to 2 or 3 inexpensive motors and leave it at that.
Bobby Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:30 AM   #152
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Flack View Post
Of course I understand it is for the Rally GT class, you checked the price for new engines this year, $200.00 won't buy a piston and sleeve for some engines.

You didn't answer my question.....what happens if racer Dude #1 says "Nope, not giving, swapping or selling my engine" what is done to that guy. I have raced my entire life and know what the concept is. If it is just fear factor than fine, I just want someone to say what the consequences are for a guy that doesn't want to give , swap or sell his engine.
Actually, I wasn't the one who said it should be $200. In fact I threw out a theoretical 250-350 amount. It would have to be researched. If someone is racing in this class with an engine that is over 500 dollars it might appear to be obvious, and I think that this rule should only be used when there is a general consensus that their engine was out of the normal price range. Since everyone knows that this rule is in place, then it was their choice to break the rule/ and run the risk of having their motor claimed.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #153
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Flack View Post
Instead of this $200 rule why not just make and approved list of motors? Its not like there are a ton of different options. Just limit to 2 or 3 inexpensive motors and leave it at that.
The problem with that is that people will then take one of these "approved" motors and get Murnan or some other Engine guru to modify the hell out of it for XX bucks and then your back to square 1 with powerful motors being ran by people who want to win more then anything and who have the money to spend on their motors.

I would go with something like this "claim" rule. Then why run an "Outlaw" motor? You might get it taken off you !!
If you run a well tuned bonofied motor that cost less then the "Claim" amount, then you'll make some money from the claim against your motor!

I like the idea!

British Menace
Old 01-12-2008, 09:09 AM   #154
Tech Elite

If I may, here at SS Raceway in Tampa Florida we’ve been racing the Kyosho Inferno GT “Spec” class every weekend and everyone is loving it since we started on Dec 1 with "Nitrofest".

We all use the Kyosho factory installed .28 RTR engines. The racing is very close & all about driver ability & set-up. We're running within 2 second lap times of most of the 200mm sedans that race on the same track. Not too bad for the stock RTR engine on rubber slicks.

This is why RC Pro made the Kyosho IGT “Spec” & “Super Stock” classes. Its working very well, we have 18 different guys running in “Spec” class at SS Raceway, 0 racers in “Super Stock and 0 racers in the “Open” classes. It is really looking like the “IGT Spec” Class is going to be the most popular down here in Florida.

Even the “US Open Sedan” race this April in Kissimmee will also be running the “Spec” class at the event too.

I'm off to the track to try some new set-up changes for tomorrow's race at SS Raceway.

Best of luck to what you guys are doing
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:29 AM   #155
Tech Regular

Default Wait and see.........

Let's see what Ron comes up with regarding the claim rule. I know there are alot of guys who are thinking about getting a kit............but won't be doing anything until the rules are clarified. I hope he doesn't use the $200.00 claim rule amount as the dollar amount. It's not reasonable..........$250.00 would make much more sense, and people wouldn't have to buy junk replacement motors that over the long run will cost people alot more money.
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #156
Tech Elite

The claiming rule is a tough one... Initially, I was not in favor of it... It does address the engine cost issue, but I personally would not be thrilled to give up an inexpensive engine that fit all the parameters of the class, only because it was fast. The next one might not be as good.
On the issue of cost, if the rule were adapted, the price could be set at a different level than the $200 I mentioned. That was just for the purpose of discusion. However, I have seen some pretty potent .28s for less than that. The Axial .28 that comes with the Mantis Truggy is a case in point.
I'll start working on an approved motor list. But claiming rule is still under consideration. Consequenses for refusing to comply also must be addressed. It could happen.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #157
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

The "Claimed" engine is given up after the event. The guy getting his engine claimed doesn't know if his engine will be claimed or not. Not till the event is over does this happen.
A cap has to be set for the cost of the engine. The racer paying for the claimed engine pays the cap. Say $250.00, do you want to pay the premium price for a used engine? This is one of the issues that will make this class interesting.
As far as an individual not giving up his engine after the event. He should be suspended from the next event or 2, or the rest of the season...my .02
TeamCarnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #158
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCarnage View Post
The "Claimed" engine is given up after the event. The guy getting his engine claimed doesn't know if his engine will be claimed or not. Not till the event is over does this happen.
A cap has to be set for the cost of the engine. The racer paying for the claimed engine pays the cap. Say $250.00, do you want to pay the premium price for a used engine? This is one of the issues that will make this class interesting.
As far as an individual not giving up his engine after the event. He should be suspended from the next event or 2, or the rest of the season...my .02
Thats good.......
The claimed motor is payed for/claimed at the completion of racing. Good. That way they all get to race. If the person will not give up the motor. The result he/she got does not stand and he is disqualified for ALL MidWest series races (ALL claases)

If everyone knows the result of cheeting or going against the rules then no one has an excuse or has anything to complain about when the rule is inforced.
The point though has to be that all rules are explained and re-iterated time and time again and again before each race if necessery. People must have no excuse when rules are infoced !!

Talk about bad English.....lol. They should send me back to school.....lol :-)

British Menace
Old 01-12-2008, 03:37 PM   #159
Tech Regular

Default First Race...........

Okay....1st race I'm gonna show up with $1,000 in my pocket. I'm gonna go claim the fastest five motors. Hey they broke them in for me..........they look great on the track...................and I want them. I can't imagine......the ill will that would be exhibited between people............if any of this claim stuff ever materialized. Just do the approved list.............and be done with it.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #160
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ View Post
Okay....1st race I'm gonna show up with $1,000 in my pocket. I'm gonna go claim the fastest five motors. Hey they broke them in for me..........they look great on the track...................and I want them. I can't imagine......the ill will that would be exhibited between people............if any of this claim stuff ever materialized. Just do the approved list.............and be done with it.
Send me $200 and I'll send you my GXR28 engine right now... no ill will on my part.

If you want to buy a bunch of engines for less then they are worth, I don't see how that's going to upset the 'seller'?
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:02 PM   #161
Tech Regular

I guess if there were a few looking for some money....if they play things right they can make this a business plan

Brian Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #162
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Berry View Post
I guess if there were a few looking for some money....if they play things right they can make this a business plan

......lol....Hey maybe I could even be the next used engine distributor for the Midwest Series.............lol
Old 01-12-2008, 06:21 PM   #163
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyoung View Post
We are running this class in Cincinnati and to keep it simple we plan on setting up a "breakout" rule. At the beginning of the season, we'll establish a not to exceed lap time, set it in the computer as a guard time, and anyone who turns laps faster than that time won't count. Takes all the rules, teching, etc. out of it.
Dennis
Uhhh.....the above statement seems to make alot of sense. You can buy what ever engine you want. However, the "breakout" time would render all drivers equal. Seems pretty simple to me, but what do I know.

Doug
Old 01-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #164
Tech Regular

Well after lots of good comments, nobody other than TeamCarnage has made a comment about my only question............what happens if the guy doesn't want to sell, trade, or whatever, his engine.

What are the consequences of his/her actions? I really like the tied to a stake and all competitors get to throw rotten eggs at him idea, but that may be a little harsh.

And Tom, I only used the $200.00 as a number, it doesn't matter if it is $100.00 or $1000.00, what happens after the claim is made is my only question or comment. I really have not voiced an opinion on whether it is a good or bad idea.

But since you asked, I hate break out racing, I doubt if the claiming rule will work, and I like the idea of an approved list of engines (seems some Bobby person had that idea).

The reason I have a problem with claiming rule is because we are all pretty much friends and I can't imagine people being too happy with someone who thinks they are cheating takes their engine. Seems to me like in all other forms of motorsports that someone slow will complain about the fast guys engines and sure enough if they have the fast guys engines they won't be any faster.

I wonder how many of us posting on this subject are actually going to race a Rally GT car.
Ted Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:31 AM   #165
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Flack

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
The problem with that is that people will then take one of these "approved" motors and get Murnan or some other Engine guru to modify the hell out of it for XX bucks and then your back to square 1 with powerful motors being ran by people who want to win more then anything and who have the money to spend on their motors.

I would go with something like this "claim" rule. Then why run an "Outlaw" motor? You might get it taken off you !!
If you run a well tuned bonofied motor that cost less then the "Claim" amount, then you'll make some money from the claim against your motor!

I like the idea!

British Menace
Well if this is the case, then someone can protest if they want and open the engine up. Chances are that with inexpensive motors you would be able to tell if someone had been in there with a grinder. Make the protest fee 40-50 bucks and give it to the guy if his engine is legal. If not, hes disqualified for the event. That seems like it would work, to me atleast..
Bobby Flack is offline   Reply With Quote