Wiki Posts
Search

New MTX-2

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Default New MTX-2

Hey all,

I am just getting back into RC after 6 years. Back then, I purchased an MTX-2 and built it - end of story. I did not even break in the engine as I was practicing with an HPI RS4 2 which was totally decked out with all the parts and a Nova Rexx engine.

Question: would the MTX-2 still be worth running following break-in? Are parts still available. My dealer carries Mugen parts however I am not sure if he would carry all parts. I do not want to sink money into something that is useless after a crash.

I will also be picking up an MTX-4R and was hoping to use the MTX-2 as a practice/play car.

Cheers!

JJ
Old 09-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jj_spike
Hey all,

I am just getting back into RC after 6 years. Back then, I purchased an MTX-2 and built it - end of story. I did not even break in the engine as I was practicing with an HPI RS4 2 which was totally decked out with all the parts and a Nova Rexx engine.

Question: would the MTX-2 still be worth running following break-in? Are parts still available. My dealer carries Mugen parts however I am not sure if he would carry all parts. I do not want to sink money into something that is useless after a crash.

I will also be picking up an MTX-4R and was hoping to use the MTX-2 as a practice/play car.

Cheers!

JJ
No, the MTX-2 would not be worth the run-in time or anymore monetary investment time as well. Parts for that car are very hard to find since the car has been out of production for a few years. If you had found a MTX-3, parts are still available (plentiful) and a very small few are interchangeable with the MTX-4. You can practice with your MTX-2 but unless you have a ton of parts already stockpiled, be very, very careful not to crash it.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

i have one somewhere around here
just keep it on the shelf nice i think in a future it will be worth money all new looking
if you want and can get a new mtx-4r and start with that.
what motor you have in it anyways if its new it too may be worth money in time.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Tech Initiate

The engine is the unit made for Mugen by Novarossi. It is a .12 rear-port. If I remember correctly, it was the one of the first rear-exhaust .12 made by Nova. It was bleeding-edge at the time at 1.2hp I believe. Then again, I can't remember what I did yesterday.

I had my HPI RS4-2 out on the weekend. I have the Rexx .12 engine on it which was slightly less capable then the Nova/Mugen engine. I was running equal to a new HPI which was running a .15 and foam tires. I was running 7 year old crappy rubbers. Based on that, the old Nova/Mugen should be a decent engine for my son's car.

I have attached pics. What do you think? Don't mind the dust. I think my diffs have leaked over the years. Kinda crappy for a non-used car.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
i have one somewhere around here
just keep it on the shelf nice i think in a future it will be worth money all new looking
if you want and can get a new mtx-4r and start with that.
what motor you have in it anyways if its new it too may be worth money in time.
Attached Thumbnails New MTX-2-car1.jpg   New MTX-2-engine1.jpg  
Old 09-25-2007, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

man looking at that brings back memory's
i think its the mt12 motor
rubber tires ya those where the days.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
man looking at that brings back memory's
i think its the mt12 motor
rubber tires ya those where the days.
Hi Wally,

do you think I can use the motor in a current HPI for practice purposes? The servos are Hitec and cost me over $100 each back then. I really don't want to scrap the whole thing if I can use the main components on another car. How does this engine perform?

Thanks
Old 09-26-2007, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

what a relic! Isn't the mtx-2 showcased at the museum of natural history?
Old 09-26-2007, 09:33 AM
Tech Champion

Look at the steering servo position and side belts ( I think it uses 4 belts !! )

Can't believe the improvement changed from MTX2 to MTX4.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asw7576
Look at the steering servo position and side belts ( I think it uses 4 belts !! )

Can't believe the improvement changed from MTX2 to MTX4.
The car only uses three belts (I know, I had three of them for almost three years). Yes, the MTX-4 is way better than the MTX-2 in almost every aspect of performance.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JLock
The car only uses three belts (I know, I had three of them for almost three years). Yes, the MTX-4 is way better than the MTX-2 in almost every aspect of performance.
ya and the front belt was a bastard to change.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jj_spike
Hi Wally,

do you think I can use the motor in a current HPI for practice purposes? The servos are Hitec and cost me over $100 each back then. I really don't want to scrap the whole thing if I can use the main components on another car. How does this engine perform?

Thanks
the motor was ok for back in the day
today after sitting for so long you may have to take it apart and clean it up,
the crank may have rust all over it and if you dont know how to do it properly you may hurt the motor.
and if the motor is clean it will run as good i think as a red dot or os tz in speed.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

yeah ,that motors an mt-12,it was the first rear exhaust 12,i still have one brand new.that pipe brings back memories as well,paris turbo ring.that used to be a hot combo those two,i ran them for a while back in the day.