Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
My track in France >

My track in France

My track in France

Old 09-26-2007, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by British Menace
Actually I think it;s the poorest country in the world considering the national dept.
But hey, lets spend $100 Billion on the space program a year instead.............
Richard has $30,000 in his bank account and he has a debt of $1,000 on his credit card. Paul has $1,000 in his bank account and has a debt of $30,000 on his credit card. Who is in better financial shape? The answer would be Richard (U.S.). The U.S. government has received record amounts of tax dollars to spend (unwisely) in the last couple years so having a little bit of debt isn't a big deal. However, it is a big deal for Paul (3rd world countries) because he is always on the verge of bankruptcy.

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
i know this is a little off topic but did anyone notice

US dollar 0.9985 = Canadian dollar 1.0015
The celebration of a weak U.S. dollar has been short lived for Canada and the EU. They are now trying to stop this trend because it is killing their economies. For every cent that the dollar weakens, the Canadian economy loses hundreds of millions of dollars. The same goes for the EU. Why is that the case? While Canadian and European inflation has gone up considerably over the last 10 years, U.S. inflation hasn't. I'm not trying to paint a rosy picture of the current weakness of the dollar because it does hurt the U.S. somewhat, but the effect that it has on the rest of western civilization is even worse.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Yup. Keyboarding is easy.

I created NitroKB.com to help racers and I think it is doing that. At the local level, we don't have a permanent track, so we always have to set it up every time we race. It's 254x54, so it's quite a chore to lay it down 6ft at a time (Road Rails). 8 out of 10 times, I'm helping design the track as we layout it out. I also do the final walk through after everyone has pretty much packed up, so that we don't leave any rubbish behind.

As it is, I barely have enough time to get my cars ready for a race day. Most of my time goes to my family when I'm not working. I keyboard throughout the day when I get a chance. A few minutes here and there makes it appear that I'm just sitting at the computer 24x7. Right now, I should be getting ready for work instead of typing, so that I can meeting some folks for a 8:30 meeting.

It's possible for me to put a lot more effort into promoting R/C - but that is a commitment I'm not sure that I can make. It's something I have to think about.

I'm going to have to go with RMD on this one. I've been reading comments made by a certain ROAR RD and it just pisses me off so i've stopped reading what he has to say. He's basically saying the same thing Rich is saying and that is to stop complaining that you don't like what ROAR is doing. If you don't like it, do something about it or shut-up. Hell, i've earned the right to complain. And RMD, I know exactly what you mean. I am VP of my club and there has been races where I was the one that had to go pick up the trailer that has "the track" on it, help unload it, help set-up the track and scorekeeping equipment, and I did registration and ran the computer all day with an occaisonal break to oh yeah, race. The last race day, my first qualifier was my practice time. Days like this aren't every day, usually i'll do one or two of those jobs but when I'm needed to help, I always do. I'm very busy with the club and I too have a job and family and when exactly do I have time to help ROAR? Besides, we all pay for something from them and while I know there isn't enough money to do big time advertising, I don't think it's too much for people to voice their opinions and ask why aren't they promoting our sport? Don't tell me to do more for ROAR because myself and other people that do a lot for our local clubs aren't going to until ROAR does a little more for this sport. And I think their are more people on this forum like us than most ROAR officers think.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JetMD
I'm going to have to go with RMD on this one. I've been reading comments made by a certain ROAR RD and it just pisses me off so i've stopped reading what he has to say. He's basically saying the same thing Rich is saying and that is to stop complaining that you don't like what ROAR is doing. If you don't like it, do something about it or shut-up. Hell, i've earned the right to complain. And RMD, I know exactly what you mean. I am VP of my club and there has been races where I was the one that had to go pick up the trailer that has "the track" on it, help unload it, help set-up the track and scorekeeping equipment, and I did registration and ran the computer all day with an occaisonal break to oh yeah, race. The last race day, my first qualifier was my practice time. Days like this aren't every day, usually i'll do one or two of those jobs but when I'm needed to help, I always do. I'm very busy with the club and I too have a job and family and when exactly do I have time to help ROAR? Besides, we all pay for something from them and while I know there isn't enough money to do big time advertising, I don't think it's too much for people to voice their opinions and ask why aren't they promoting our sport? Don't tell me to do more for ROAR because myself and other people that do a lot for our local clubs aren't going to until ROAR does a little more for this sport. And I think their are more people on this forum like us than most ROAR officers think.

I'm not saying to stop complaining. I like the forums - it is refreshing to read new ideas. I am trying to make the general public aware that ROAR belongs to us - If you have time and if want to help - please speak up. I am not attacking - I am trying to elevate awareness. ROAR needs our collective help.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rich Browne
I'm not saying to stop complaining. I like the forums - it is refreshing to read new ideas. I am trying to make the general public aware that ROAR belongs to us - If you have time and if want to help - please speak up. I am not attacking - I am trying to elevate awareness. ROAR needs our collective help.

This is true and I apologize. But, you did say keyboarding is easy which sent me off on my rant. It really wasn't directed at you, more at the regional director I referred to. I didn't direct this toward him because I don't want him to know that he's got me fired up because he would probably enjoy it.

And I agree with you, people should be more willing to help, at the club level and with ROAR. It's something we constantly deal with. If anyone out there would like to thank me for what I do, send an email to a ROAR officer and tell them that you, as a ROAR member, are upset that they aren't doing anything to promote this sport. Thanks!
Old 09-26-2007, 09:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm not flaming anyone here. In fact at the end of my post I was giving Jsped props for trying to make a difference. But attacking is not the best way, in most cases. Yes it is true, ROAR could do more to promote RC and things are changing with the current ROAR admin. RMT is a good step in the right direction. It's brought more nationals bids this year than any year in the past 5+ years. People ask what does ROAR provide? I know for a fact that if it wern't for ROAR many clubs/tracks wouldn't exist today for a lack of affordable insurance. My track would be one of those.

Jsped you compare the promotion or lack of it to the American & National leagues. Or even the effort that RC Pro has done to bring RC to the public masses. But the common link in this orginizations vs ROAR is that they operate for a profit. And for them to be profitable they have to market to the masses. They invest millions in advertising and marketing. Can RC afford that?

ROAR is a voulenteer orginization. Most of the voulenteers were racers or are racers and wanted to make a difference. Unfortunatly there are some that only want to benefit themselves. There are a lot people out there that have made major contributions to grass roots rc racing and even some who are trying to take it to the next level. These individuals deseve to be applauded and not attacked and that should go for ROAR officials as well.

Instead of wasting our energies trying to blame an orginization for the current state of RC we should really be working together to try and bring RC to the next level. Work with your track, ROAR, RC Pro or club. I know ROAR is looking for a Promotions Director. There's an area where the right person could make a difference.

With the US being one of the richest countries in the world it sure is a shame that we don't have more of the nicest tracks in the world. I sure wish we could all put the BS aside and really work together to make a difference. I've been trying at the local level for nearly 10 years now. It's a frustrating battle, one that no matter what you do you can never make everyone happy. Give people a great place to race and they want a better place.

IMO the problem with RC in this country is not what the sanctioning bodies are or aren't doing but more society in general. In an era where extreme sports, poker and video games are what's selling to the younger masses how does RC compete? There's minimal chance of mass injuries due to someone missing a double back flip or busting their jewels on a piece of metal pipe. You can't play RC from the comfort of you couch. RC racing as a spectator event is boring for the masses. Watching people spectate at rc races is comical. The only time non-rc people get into it is when people are crashing and on the rare occasion of a truly great battle. We don't have corporate America throwing millions of dolars our way to offer large cash purses either. I don't know much about marketing but I know that there are some really smart people in this hobby that do. We have to come up with a marketing plan to get corperate America behind RC. Untill then we'll always be a hobby and not a sport.

Last edited by schurcr; 09-26-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Default Dream Tracks

I’m on the phone every day for RC Pro Series with corporate entities from outside the RC industry and none of them know anything about RC racing.

As a matter of fact, when I talk to the promotions departments of someone like Coca Cola; they say “what? RC racing, who does that? Toy car racing? Really?

It’s embarrassing for me (an RC racer that has only been into the sport for 5 years) to have to try to explain that we’re not stupid for playing with toys and wasting their time with proposals. Yet I keep calling on the next corporate giants day after day.

It’s very frustrating to read or talk to people who have been in the sport for several decades and think I owe them anything.

Maybe I do, OK, so here it goes:

Thanks a lot for not doing a dam thing to invite the general public all across America to be part of our sport this last year and every year before, since the first RC car hit American shores over 3 decades ago.

So, you think I’m bashing too much now do you? Get ready for this.

Ahhhhh, The “Winternats”……

Many On-Road RC racers consider “The Winternats” to be one of the most famous RC races on earth.

It’s held each year at the same place and time of the year. RC racers from all over the world converge to take on “The Fort”; many consider it (including myself) to be like “The Holy Grail” or the “Corner Stone” or “The Kentucky Derby” of our sport of On-Road RC racing.

The sad thing about the “Winternats” is that outside of the RC world, it has no significance at all. More people around the world know more about the “Polar Bear Club” at Coney Island, than about the big race.

Want to hear something even worse?

The majority of the people that live in the surrounding Ft. Myers community don’t even know that the track even exists; let alone about the race of Champions. So tell us, how long has the RC world been racing at “The Fort”?

Now, the “Winternats” is not an RC Pro Series event, but do any of you think the “sanctioning” body involved might think of picking up the phone and calling the Mayor of that community every year and inviting them to be part of it?

Does it take a lot of work to pick up the phone and say: Hi, I’m the President of so & so and we’re having our “Bazillionth” annual race on so & so date; can I send you some information to educate you about it and to welcome you to attend?

I know, I know, all the Forgass guys and their “sanction body” is going to jump on here and flame me for that one. But I really don’t care. If you want more people to want to be involved in our sport, shouldn’t they be welcomed into it?

No RC people…… that is not a lot of work, in fact, that’s very EASY.

You want to see a lot of work?

Try making my teleconference call to Miller Beer tomorrow afternoon and try explaining to them that investing in RC racing is a great idea to promote their products.

Now that is a lot of hard “Friggen” work!
Old 09-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Jspeed I applaud your efforts and it will take many more like you to break the corporate barrier.

I know that I've tried to get local community awarness and support for RC racing. When we hosted the '06 Carpet Nats I contacted city hall, the local paper and the local cable public access channel to promote and hopefuly get some outside RC exposure. I got the run around as well as the same "you race what?" that you are getting from corporate america. It's frustrating and it seemed like a loosing battle and that was for a single event.

All I'm saying is drop the negativity. I'd love to help with your endevors or at least speak with you on a personal level about what your doing and how your doing it. If we could get more people to be as pasionate as you and others on this board maybe, just maybe we could make a difference.

I to beleive ROAR should do more on the promotions side and I'm a ROAR supporter. Like I sais ealier the Promotions Director position is open. It could use a person with a great marketing mind and someone with the time to try and get this done.

I for one do not have the time, with a family, a career, a track and ROAR RMT, I'm fairly well tapped out for time.

Someone on here posted about trying to get help on how to approach local government for assistance with a public track. If anyone has any experience with this please contact me. My email address is [email protected]

Jspeed ..... good luck with your work. Eventually someone will crack the barrier. If skateboards and wake boarding can do it then maybe RC racing can.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:05 AM
Tech Elite

Default Dream Tracks

I apologize if my writings appear to have a tad of negativity in them.

Some call it “tough love” or “keeping it real”, no matter what anyone wants us to think, the truth is the truth. Nobody outside of our RC community knows that we and our sport exist in America.

RC Pro Series is working to grow our sport into the “mainstream”.

Most of you On-Road only racers may not know too much about our Off-Road operations, but did you know that we at RC Pro Series International schedule our Off Road Championship Finals in public arenas? Yea, that’s what we do.

We go in and rent the public facility for a week, haul in clay and build a “Super-Cross” style RC track for the event. This year is no exception, we doing it again except this time we’re having a concert and a bikini contest as part of the Championships program.

Why do we go to such great lengths to do this? To promote the sport in public venues.

So America, for 2008, IFMAR will be in our country for the Off-Road Worlds!

This question goes all the way to Texas and all of your loyal followers.

Are you going to promote the “Worlds” so that the “American General Public” knows it’s even happening in our country for 2008?

If so, you might want to get started researching media time availability and “block rates” right away.

I know if we were promoting the “IFMAR Worlds” events, we’d have a Public Relations firm on the payroll already.

But what do I know about all this RC stuff anyway?

I haven’t been into RC for several decades….
Old 09-27-2007, 12:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

... edit

Last edited by rmdhawaii; 09-27-2007 at 01:56 AM.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:23 AM
Tech Elite

Default DReam Tracks

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
... edit

Yea Rmd, I don’t think this thread is close to being done. If you have a great concept, RC Pro Series will listen to you.

Why did you delete your post? Did the RC Dream Police knock on your door?

Plus, we should still try to learn more about our friend’s beautiful tracks in France. I don’t believe we ever found out about the 200,000 Euros to build it.

I’d also like to see more pictures of his track in France.

We also had another racer from England who posted a picture of his track too.

All of you Europeans that read this thread, don’t mind us, we’re just “stupid Americans” fighting amongst each other for total control of nothing, Lol
Old 09-27-2007, 04:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Why did you delete your post? Did the RC Dream Police knock on your door?
Below is the revised version.

I have an idea on how to solve all the issues that have been raised in this thread. It came to mind a couple of months ago. Not sure if anyone here would agree with me - and that is why I am not sharing the idea in this venue, but I believe it would kill "4 birds" with one stone: (1) Educate people about what our type of R/C racing is all about, (2) Get past the stigma of playing with toys, (3) Promote the sport and (4) Increase participation - all in one swoop. If I ever get around to putting it down on paper, get it in front of the right people and have them buy off on it, we'll look back at all of this and have a good laugh. With some help, I can probably get it done - but like most things for me, I have to be highly motivated to do it and that motivation has nothing to do with money. At the moment, I have too many other distractions.

There are a lot of hobbies and sports that don't get any respect from the "adult" community. As far as these people are concerned, we're just playing with toys. We all know that catchy phrase, "The difference between men and boys is the size of their toys" - Well guess what? At this point in time, we're perceived as being a little on the small side.

I think we've had a good exchange about the state of R/C in this country and why it's not going anywhere. Amongst ourselves, I think we're preaching to the choir. We have different ways of saying it, but the message is basically the same - something has got to change in order for things to get better.

People that are successful at something usually start off with a vision and a plan. If the plan is good, other people will see potential in it and will support it - both financially and by other means. Those other people have to believe that what is being presented is truthful and realistic - and agree that the outcome is a good thing for everyone involved. Without a vision, there can be no plan. Without a plan, there is no way to implement the vision. Without something concrete for people to believe in, there can be no support. Ideas help create the vision, but with no plan, the ideas go nowhere pretty fast - as many of you have stated.

I think I'm done in this thread.

Cheers
Old 09-27-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Leodis
Richard has $30,000 in his bank account and he has a debt of $1,000 on his credit card. Paul has $1,000 in his bank account and has a debt of $30,000 on his credit card. Who is in better financial shape? The answer would be Richard (U.S.). The U.S. government has received record amounts of tax dollars to spend (unwisely) in the last couple years so having a little bit of debt isn't a big deal. However, it is a big deal for Paul (3rd world countries) because he is always on the verge of bankruptcy.

Unfortunately that is a load of ballony. AND the wrong answer. Sorry.
It may have some relevance if it was just a small(er) amount in comparison to whats in the bank.
But as this U.S is trillions of dollars in debt, or did they decide to just clear it AGAIN.......lol. Then print a load more ..... Yes I guess you would have more in the bank. But not realistic.
Anyway.................better keep spending billions on that space program to make everyone feel better that the U.S is not poor and keep those starving AMERICAN PEOPLE needy eh!!!..............

But back to rc.
Nice track...........we had better copy that one and throw lots of money at it.!!

The Menace

The celebration of a weak U.S. dollar has been short lived for Canada and the EU. They are now trying to stop this trend because it is killing their economies. For every cent that the dollar weakens, the Canadian economy loses hundreds of millions of dollars. The same goes for the EU. Why is that the case? While Canadian and European inflation has gone up considerably over the last 10 years, U.S. inflation hasn't. I'm not trying to paint a rosy picture of the current weakness of the dollar because it does hurt the U.S. somewhat, but the effect that it has on the rest of western civilization is even worse.
Fortunately, the EU has a better economy then the U.S. Maybe not as big, but better. And they don't keep "up-to-date" technology from industry and commerce for the sake of national pride.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Default Unbelievable!

I found this European Dream Track on an RC site from Spain.
All I can say is..........Unbelievable!

Old 09-27-2007, 11:15 PM
Tech Champion

I found this European Dream Track on an RC site from Spain.
All I can say is..........Unbelievable!

I would rather play roller skate with italian girls with bikinis in that track
Old 09-28-2007, 07:34 AM
Tech Master

I’m on the phone every day for RC Pro Series with corporate entities from outside the RC industry and none of them know anything about RC racing.

As a matter of fact, when I talk to the promotions departments of someone like Coca Cola; they say “what? RC racing, who does that? Toy car racing? Really?

It’s embarrassing for me (an RC racer that has only been into the sport for 5 years) to have to try to explain that we’re not stupid for playing with toys and wasting their time with proposals. Yet I keep calling on the next corporate giants day after day.

It’s very frustrating to read or talk to people who have been in the sport for several decades and think I owe them anything.

Maybe I do, OK, so here it goes:

Thanks a lot for not doing a dam thing to invite the general public all across America to be part of our sport this last year and every year before, since the first RC car hit American shores over 3 decades ago.

So, you think I’m bashing too much now do you? Get ready for this.

Ahhhhh, The “Winternats”……

Many On-Road RC racers consider “The Winternats” to be one of the most famous RC races on earth.

It’s held each year at the same place and time of the year. RC racers from all over the world converge to take on “The Fort”; many consider it (including myself) to be like “The Holy Grail” or the “Corner Stone” or “The Kentucky Derby” of our sport of On-Road RC racing.

The sad thing about the “Winternats” is that outside of the RC world, it has no significance at all. More people around the world know more about the “Polar Bear Club” at Coney Island, than about the big race.

Want to hear something even worse?

The majority of the people that live in the surrounding Ft. Myers community don’t even know that the track even exists; let alone about the race of Champions. So tell us, how long has the RC world been racing at “The Fort”?

Now, the “Winternats” is not an RC Pro Series event, but do any of you think the “sanctioning” body involved might think of picking up the phone and calling the Mayor of that community every year and inviting them to be part of it?

Does it take a lot of work to pick up the phone and say: Hi, I’m the President of so & so and we’re having our “Bazillionth” annual race on so & so date; can I send you some information to educate you about it and to welcome you to attend?

I know, I know, all the Forgass guys and their “sanction body” is going to jump on here and flame me for that one. But I really don’t care. If you want more people to want to be involved in our sport, shouldn’t they be welcomed into it?

No RC people…… that is not a lot of work, in fact, that’s very EASY.

You want to see a lot of work?

Try making my teleconference call to Miller Beer tomorrow afternoon and try explaining to them that investing in RC racing is a great idea to promote their products.

Now that is a lot of hard “Friggen” work!

jeff,

the first rule of sales is DON'T BURN ANY BRIDGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU HAVE JUST BURNED A BIG ONE!!!!!!!!!!!! :flamin

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.