R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2007, 07:27 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic
 
LuisR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miramar, FL
Posts: 783
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Tamiya TGX 1/8 scale car with .21 engine ???

Has anyone here seen or installed a .21 engine on the tamiya TGX Mk1 chassis??? I have one of these and I know these are discontinued but since I have one i might get the best out of it. I went yesterday to the 301 raceway track and i notice I need more HP. I currently have a .15 engine. I know of people who have been able to fit a .18, but I was wondering if a .21 would do it.
Thanks,
AHH and special thanks to the owner or the person who created the 301 raceway track in Brandywine MD, WHAT A TRACK!!!!!!
Thanks again.
LRR
LuisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:52 AM   #2
Tech Elite
 
JLock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,455
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

You will have to do some major mods to get a .21 into this car. And, that is not counting all the parts needed to make the clutch system/clutchbell mesh with the stock spur gears on the car. However, you could use an OS 18tz to obtain the extra HP you are seeking without having to make those major mods. That motor should just drop into the car and you will probably have to buy the AE NTC3 rear exhaust assembly (header and pipe) since the .18tz is a rear exhaust engine. Good luck to you.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic
 
LuisR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miramar, FL
Posts: 783
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
You will have to do some major mods to get a .21 into this car. And, that is not counting all the parts needed to make the clutch system/clutchbell mesh with the stock spur gears on the car. However, you could use an OS 18tz to obtain the extra HP you are seeking without having to make those major mods. That motor should just drop into the car and you will probably have to buy the AE NTC3 rear exhaust assembly (header and pipe) since the .18tz is a rear exhaust engine. Good luck to you.
Thanks,
Would you recommend the OS engine with slide carb over the rotary carb??? or it doesn't matter?
Thanks
LRR
LuisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:09 AM   #4
Tech Elite
 
JLock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,455
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisR View Post
Thanks,
Would you recommend the OS engine with slide carb over the rotary carb??? or it doesn't matter?
Thanks
LRR
It would not matter which one you use. Just know that with the slide carb, you will have to set up your linkage differently (and possibly reposition your carb on the engine). Let us know how your project, no matter which way you go with it, turns out.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:50 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic
 
LuisR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miramar, FL
Posts: 783
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
It would not matter which one you use. Just know that with the slide carb, you will have to set up your linkage differently (and possibly reposition your carb on the engine). Let us know how your project, no matter which way you go with it, turns out.
Yesterday I bought the OS .18 with the tunned pipe and exhaust so I will post some pictures once I am done. Any one of you guys go to the 301 Raceway track??? I am planning on going again next weekend.

LRR
LuisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:14 AM   #6
Tech Elite
 
JLock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,455
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisR View Post
Yesterday I bought the OS .18 with the tunned pipe and exhaust so I will post some pictures once I am done. Any one of you guys go to the 301 Raceway track??? I am planning on going again next weekend.

LRR
Let me know how it works out. I have a TGX myself and have been thinking about dusting it off, putting in some extra hp (currently has a OS .12cv in it), and bash around in some local parking lots (since no one races at the local club track anymore).
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic
 
LuisR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miramar, FL
Posts: 783
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
You will have to do some major mods to get a .21 into this car. And, that is not counting all the parts needed to make the clutch system/clutchbell mesh with the stock spur gears on the car. However, you could use an OS 18tz to obtain the extra HP you are seeking without having to make those major mods. That motor should just drop into the car and you will probably have to buy the AE NTC3 rear exhaust assembly (header and pipe) since the .18tz is a rear exhaust engine. Good luck to you.
JLock,
I received the order for the engine and exhaust, but the exhaust manifold did not come with the pressure fitting for the connection between the gas tank and exhaust muffler. I called towerhobbies and they said they don't have one and they don't know which will fit. Do you know what size pressure fitting I need for the Team Associated NTC3 rear exhaust??
Thanks
LRR
LuisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:31 PM   #8
Tech Elite
 
JLock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,455
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisR View Post
JLock,
I received the order for the engine and exhaust, but the exhaust manifold did not come with the pressure fitting for the connection between the gas tank and exhaust muffler. I called towerhobbies and they said they don't have one and they don't know which will fit. Do you know what size pressure fitting I need for the Team Associated NTC3 rear exhaust??
Thanks
LRR
Any of the standard ones should work. If you can find one, use the clear one that was offered with the older RC10GT. I had one on a two piece pipe setup for three years and it never cracked or split (reusing it on an new pipe and exhaust header now). Just make sure that it is thick and fits snuggly on the pipe and header.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #9
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5
TGXM-MK.1

GANYAN DIN KIT KO AHM ASK KO LNG KUNG SAN AKO MAKAKABILI NG ELECTRIC STARTER FOR TGX-MK.1 CV-R UNG ENGINE KO??
clumzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:32 PM   #10
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5
Default TGX-MK.1

I ALSO HAVE THAT KIND OF RC TGX-MK.1 O.S CV-R ENGINE,I WANT TO ASK IF WHERE CAN I FIND ELECTRIC STARTER FOR TGX-MK.1 O.S CV-R ENGINE?
clumzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:39 PM   #11
Tech Elite
 
slaytanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,171
Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)
Default

I know that they make big blocks that will drop right into a revo. I believe they are called mid size. Big Block displacement in a smallblock size. Might work.
slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #12
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 32
Default

well...the twin .21 engine TGX is on ebay now

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamiya-TGX-Mk-1-...3A1%7C294%3A50

Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novarossi Plus 21-3 .21 1/8th scale engine Wynnum_Racer Australia For Sale/Trade 12 09-21-2008 05:07 AM
Best engine for 1/10 scale rccars23 Nitro On-Road 109 11-23-2007 04:03 PM
8th scale buggy engine kyracer Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 39 01-14-2006 07:01 AM
.21 Gas 1/8th scale buggy engine? xlgraphicspro R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 4 05-30-2005 07:57 AM
1/8 Scale Buggy With engine xtremetouring R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 06-30-2003 08:23 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:23 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net