R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-25-2004, 07:29 PM   #1156
Tech Regular

i see them on there but not for the g4. Do i have to buy ones made for a differnt car?

Thanks,
Mike
budlightnmyhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 07:37 PM   #1157

Default bud light

your kit should of come with a two peice rear body post for if you need it taller you put on the extra 2 inch piece look in your box hope this helps Jesse
J FAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 08:40 PM   #1158
Tech Addict

Quote:
your kit should of come with a two peice rear body post for if you need it taller you put on the extra 2 inch piece look in your box hope this helps Jesse

before-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00120.jpg (152.5 KB, 105 views)
Nitropimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 08:40 PM   #1159
Tech Addict

After-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00119.jpg (154.8 KB, 95 views)
Old 04-26-2004, 02:23 AM   #1160
Tech Initiate

Just bought a G4 ready to run with nsr 5 port turbo futaba fpk3 etc... everything is like new and I beleive i got a good deal on the car but my only question so far (since I havet rceived the car yet) is are there any hobby shops in the south florida area that stock parts and might be able to offer help with settiong up the car and getting it competitive on the track?

Any info on parts I should buy right off the bat that are prone to break would be appreciated as well as I can order them online and i'm sure being that i've been out of the rc scene for a good ten years that im going to break some stuff.

Thanksfor whatever advice you guys can offer as far as spare parts to keep on hand and initial setup tips etc...

Any info is appreciated!

I am stoked!
Brightbluehaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 05:09 AM   #1161
Tech Regular

Hey, thanks for showing me those pics. I did not receive those extra extensions with my kit. I bought it off ebay and it was already put together. I'll have to order some from somewhere. I'll check out trinity's website here in a few. Thanks for showing me a visual, now i know exactly what to look for!!

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 04-26-2004, 07:19 AM   #1162
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by budlightnmyhand
Hey, thanks for showing me those pics. I did not receive those extra extensions with my kit. I bought it off ebay and it was already put together. I'll have to order some from somewhere. I'll check out trinity's website here in a few. Thanks for showing me a visual, now i know exactly what to look for!!

Thanks again,
Mike
Hey guys, I am too lazy to check... Have the steering problems come right?
BaxterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 07:39 AM   #1163
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Brightbluehaze
Just bought a G4 ready to run with nsr 5 port turbo futaba fpk3 etc... everything is like new and I beleive i got a good deal on the car but my only question so far (since I havet rceived the car yet) is are there any hobby shops in the south florida area that stock parts and might be able to offer help with settiong up the car and getting it competitive on the track?

Any info on parts I should buy right off the bat that are prone to break would be appreciated as well as I can order them online and i'm sure being that i've been out of the rc scene for a good ten years that im going to break some stuff.

Thanksfor whatever advice you guys can offer as far as spare parts to keep on hand and initial setup tips etc...

Any info is appreciated!

I am stoked!
I am also brand new to the RC scene. I have finally gotten the chance to drive my car for the first time this weekend. Ran into some minor problems.

First off get rid of the dog bones in the front, you will loose them or they will fall out for sure. Buy the super hard Universal joints part number is k1462 that is from www.teamtrinity.com's website.

The next thing that broke for me (when car flipped over) was the rear shock / body post assembly. it snapped in half. very thin/cheap plastic used on that piece. you should replace this with the G4 Rear caron shock tower ( with aluminum siffener) part number k1437

Also the centrax clutch has a weak link to it. The thrust bearing seems to get chewed up very easily. I have not experienced this problem yet since i only have about 3 tanks of fuel through my motor but eventually the thrust bearing will wear out. just buy one off ebay for 6.99.

There has also been some problems with the steering assembly. It may seem very stiff at first but it will break itself in. Also there have been problems when turning it doesn't like to come back to center. So basically your car will be stuck turning even though you let off the control. Just make sure the rails are lubed sufficiently.

Mike
Old 04-26-2004, 07:59 AM   #1164
Tech Regular

Originally posted by budlightnmyhand

First off get rid of the dog bones in the front, you will loose them or they will fall out for sure. Buy the super hard Universal joints part number is k1462 that is from www.teamtrinity.com's website.

I have had many flips and crashes. Dog bones or driveshafts in front have never came out. If you have a manual, you should go through that car (being used and everything) with a fine tooth comb and get it to stock condition. Just a precaution so you won't pre judge the car without assembling it the way it was meant to be.

The next thing that broke for me (when car flipped over) was the rear shock / body post assembly. it snapped in half. very thin/cheap plastic used on that piece. you should replace this with the G4 Rear caron shock tower ( with aluminum siffener) part number k1437

Now those body posts, the little notch on them will break often. You'll just have to keep a couple for backup. The rear shock tower hasn't broke on me though. But if you crash hard enough anything will break.

Also the centrax clutch has a weak link to it. The thrust bearing seems to get chewed up very easily. I have not experienced this problem yet since i only have about 3 tanks of fuel through my motor but eventually the thrust bearing will wear out. just buy one off ebay for 6.99.

You have to keep that thrust bearing lubed. It will heat up from the friction and perform erratically if you don't. Fortunately, I caught on to it before I lost one of my bearing balls. Use at least some associated black grease after a day of running and your thrust bearing should last at least four months or more. I'm still using my original thrust bearing.

There has also been some problems with the steering assembly. It may seem very stiff at first but it will break itself in. Also there have been problems when turning it doesn't like to come back to center. So basically your car will be stuck turning even though you let off the control. Just make sure the rails are lubed sufficiently.

Your steering should always return to center, especially with on-road cars. Not so critical with off-road. You can test that before you get on the track. At least i do. It sounds like your rail mounts are not tight enough or something is flexing. This will cause your steering alignment to become tweaked. Your servo saver does not need break in, just proper adjustment. It should stay tight but smooth, at least after one day of racing.

I hope this has been helpful
Aggdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:07 AM   #1165
Tech Regular

I did take my whole car apart and reassemble. I bought mine already put together and when i got it, the shocks leaked oil all over the car. So i took it apart and found pieces missing. I made sure to use the little green o rings with the dog bones, i still don't know why that one fell out.

Agg Daddy, if you ahve any close up pictures of your car i would like to see them. I just want to look over it and see if i notice anything about yours that i might have set up wrong. Like i said i'm very new to this and little thing i can learn is a great help. Pics of your suspension setup would be most helpful. I do have an integy setup station but pics would help me out better than seeing number of your camber and caster and toe.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-26-2004, 08:19 AM   #1166
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to RCNUT
Default bud light

I know some of the very first production kits had dogbones in them that were too short for the front end. Most of the kits that are out there have the newer longer dogbones. I have a feeling that if you have the o rings in the diff drive cups and the dog bones are still falling out, you have the first production kit.

I should be getting an order of the cvds this week so all that emailed me I will let you know.

I do know that Trinity does not have them in stock and do not know when they will be getting them in due to the distribution contract issue they are having.
RCNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:25 AM   #1167
Tech Regular

Anytime I've had the wheels turned and clipped a corner I almost always lose a dogbone. Unless you run your front end narrow it's going to happen. I believe there are newer ones in the latest kits that are longer but I haven't been able to find them. My understanding is the originals are 52mm and the updated ones are 53mm. It doesn't sound like a lot but that 1 mm makes all the difference in the world.

Other than that this car can take some brutal punishment. I've more than abused mine and have broken very, very few parts; a steering knuckle is about it, along with snapping off the rod end where it screws into the servo saver. Both were the result of the same incident. Considering it happened at the end of the main straight when someone turned their radio on and my car shot under a steel-weighted PVC pipe at WOT I was shocked that's all that was broken because it was a vicious wreck. Oh yeah, it also shattered both front wheels on a brand new pair of Jaco's.
KMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:38 AM   #1168
Tech Elite

Default foams

Has anyone use the GQ products foams? I am debating whether to sell them or not. I have a couple of pairs to test out the durability but have not tried them yet. They are the foams with the orange rims. Let me know if anyone has tried them.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:59 AM   #1169
Tech Addict

Quote:
Brightbluehaze- Congrats and glad to have you here in the G4 forum. We have some very informative people in this forum. For parts I don't know if any around Florida but online go to RCNut (he's super fast and great prices) or Border who's out of the country. Hop up's. Get the better stonger rear shock tower. The steering seems to be the big problem. Make sure your rails are cleaned and that you have no binding. The best thing to do is go to the first post of the G4's and read the problems and solutions that people posted. First you'll see the common problems and you'll see the who are the Vet's are that are offering good advice. Ohh yeah do the Kmac improved bullet proofing steeering. That helps alot.

BaxterC- Nope haven't heard nothing from TM..

RcNut- This is what I've seen about tires. At my track about 60% of the people are buying online and from HK. They are getting them for about $10 plus like $2 shipping no more than $12 pair. And they don't have to buy ten pair. I was like WOW. Also they really don't car about the brand (people are saying that all GRP tires come from the same factory but with differerent packaging and rims). My LHS cannot compete with these prices. So I think the key is price?? How much a pair. thanks and good luck. OHH do you still have TM bags and can you email me at [email protected] the cost.

thanks
Old 04-26-2004, 10:10 AM   #1170
Tech Elite

Default Nitropimp

I sent you an email. Let me know. The pmb set-up stations should be in this week too.