R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-22-2004, 11:38 PM   #1081
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

after reading all about this steering problem that people are having I have to put in my 0.02 worth.
It seems to me that the people having this problem are running the k-factory hop-up steering block. personally, I have been running my G4 since October last year with the original plastic steering block and have never had this issue that people are talking about. All I do is clean the rails every race and lube them every couple of races. steering did become loose a couple of times but I just readjusted it how they say to in the manual.
No problem.
I'm definitely not one of the top drivers around but this car has enabled me to take 2.5 sec off my personal best at one of the tracks I race at. I know it has to be the car because I am still running the same motor as I did with my last car which I had 18 months of R&d with.
Test Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 01:18 AM   #1082
Tech Fanatic

Let me try to go at this in a more pro-active mannor... While some have posted that they have had problems with the steering system, others have posted that they have never had one problem with it... For those who have never had one issue with your steering, please post your set up... ie
1. What servo type? Brand, speed and torque?
2. Where did you place your ball stud on the servo arm, the top hole or the lower hole?
3. Are you using the stock servo arm or an aftermarket one? Did you have to sand anything down???
4. How much throw are your getting out of the system the way you have it now?
5. Is the rod linking the servo saver and the servo arm parallel with the rails or is it sloping down at an angle?
6. Are you using the stock plastic servo saver or the Alum piece from K-Factory?
7. What are your radio settings for your steering? EPA and Dual-rate?
8. Did any of you have to sand/cut or dreamel anything???
9. What other mods if any did you do for your steering???

See guys, I'm trying to figure this thing out if that is possible... No help from Trinity or TM is coming as I can see... So I'll ask the folks here that seem to have no issue's with there steering what they are doing and go from there. Please be honest and correct with your replys... My car right now has the ball stud on the lower hole to keep the rod connecting the servo saver and servo arm parallel with the rails. This seems to help keep the servo saver from binding, but at the loss of steering throw and added stress on my steering servo. You really should not have to have your EPA max out to 140% and dual-rate at 135% to steer your car... One car has the stock servo saver and the other car the Alum K-Factory piece. I've tried new rails, lubes, oils and sprays. My cars are cleaned from top to bottem after every run and my batteries are always charged. Just so no one will say that's what I should check...

Now, if everyone that has no issue's are using the same setup car for car... Then what ever you guys are doing must be the answer. Now, if everyone has something different going on... How in the heck are we supose to know what is right, what will work and what is wrong??? Any and all tips from G4 owners that have perfect steering is greatly appreicated. I've already read TM's postings... Did that... Didn't work. And know this is my 6th Nitro car and never once had an issue with a build or steering... Trying to be positive...

Aggdaddy... There is a set screw for your brake pad that might have backed out alittle bit... Tighten it a bit and your brake pads and braking should feel as good as new... Sorry for any miss spellings... It's late right now in SoCal and I just got home from work.

RC_Alan
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 05:55 AM   #1083
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

RC_Alan, with your servo horn disconnected can you get the rack to be "free"? Are your front pivot balls good and free? I have only one day experience on the car right now but with setting the car up as the manual shows (only exception is the use of the Traxxas ball ends as shown on team magics forum) and have seen no problems yet. Also running a JR8450.

AggDaddy, I would think that the brake pads wearing in is pretty typical. And brake fade during a long main is not uncommon. I really like the way the G4 brake is set up with the piston that applies the pressure to the pad. Has anyone tried the pads that Ashford hobby sells? Don Who Kevlar pads, http://www.ashfordhobby.com/prod112a.htm
J_Longbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 06:27 AM   #1084
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by JBrake
RC_Alan, with your servo horn disconnected can you get the rack to be "free"? Are your front pivot balls good and free? I have only one day experience on the car right now but with setting the car up as the manual shows (only exception is the use of the Traxxas ball ends as shown on team magics forum) and have seen no problems yet. Also running a JR8450.

AggDaddy, I would think that the brake pads wearing in is pretty typical. And brake fade during a long main is not uncommon. I really like the way the G4 brake is set up with the piston that applies the pressure to the pad. Has anyone tried the pads that Ashford hobby sells? Don Who Kevlar pads, http://www.ashfordhobby.com/prod112a.htm
I really feel for you guys...

Have a look here for something that may help (I HOPE for your sakes)

www.drislide.com
BaxterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 06:29 AM   #1085
Tech Adept

hi alan,
i have a graupner jr 8418 o.057 sek, 8 kg
top hole
stock arm
-
original tm plastic servo saver, paralell,
100% steering on transmitter
no sanding, i take a other ball joint (serpent)
no one change, no oil,
i drive 38 shore ufra at front, and 40 shore ufra at rear
the setup is that from josh for las vegas,
with changing the shock oil and springs to stock,
dieter
4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 07:15 AM   #1086
Tech Regular

RC_Alan, JBrake .. thanks for the info. I thought I was the only one who had to adjust their brakes on a regular basis.

I was running a HPI RS4 SS with fiber brake pad before the G4. Never noticed any brake fade. But, if I ever hit a wall by not being able to turn into a turn as fast as I would like "hint hint" I would break a rear hub carrier. All the time.
I had to keep a pack of 'em for a race day.

G4 turns quick.

I'll try and get a good picture of my steering system and post my settings and equipment.

Last edited by Aggdaddy; 04-23-2004 at 07:21 AM.
Aggdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 08:02 AM   #1087
Tech Fanatic

Please... Please, when you post your steering settings, be very detailed in your postings... We can learn alot from this as well Team Magic... I see some have stop posting when the tide is high... Please read my last post to see what is being asked. Thanks... For those just starting out with the car should not have any problems yet with there steering. If you're using the settings as per the manuel, you will have steering failure in the future... You can bet on it...

On a side note... Aggdaddy, are you still running that Rossi Pixy??? If you are, you should try the Carlsen 11 fin cooling head on it... If you can't find that one, Mugen has one as well that will fit. Engine temps will come way... way down and the motor will scream when dialed correctly... Folks at the track are still asking what the heck was that in his car...

RC_Alan
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 09:18 AM   #1088
Tech Regular

What kind of low temps are we talking about? My engine normally doesn't get over 230f when the tank empties. The way its running now is fast enough for a 3 port on 20% .

But I wouldn't mind having a different head on mine. I was thinking about trying that really low viper head.

I'll keep a look out for that Carlsen head that you mentioned.

Thanks again.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:21 AM   #1089
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to RCNUT
Default Viper Head

Aggdaddy,

The viper head does not fit on the pixy. The screw mounts on the pixy are not sqaured to the engine.
RCNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 11:57 AM   #1090
Tech Regular

Bummer. i guess it only fits on Sirio engines?

Anyway thanks for the info RCNUT. I guess I'll have to check out that Carlsen head afterall.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:58 PM   #1091
Tech Regular

Yeah, I agree with aggdaddy, this is too much negative . Anyway, I talked to someone on this forum that has done the evo fix to his g4. He will be emailing me pictures soon and if its ok with him ill post them here.
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 01:39 PM   #1092
Tech Addict

Quote:
Yeah, I agree with aggdaddy, this is too much negative . Anyway, I talked to someone on this forum that has done the evo fix to his g4. He will be emailing me pictures soon and if its ok with him ill post them here.
Sorry I'm done bit$ching. Just want to see results. I broke in my new car and engine. Car handles like it's on rails. Steering looks good so far.

BBaller- I would love to see the mod. Please post pics.

thanks,
Nitropimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 01:48 PM   #1093
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to RCNUT
Default bballer

never mind
RCNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 01:54 PM   #1094
Tech Regular

Nitropimp - its all good

Rcnut - just about to post when i noticed you edited your last post Anyway, for everyone who is wondering what the "evo" fix is its basically changing the "slide" steering on the g4 into the steering found on the Kyosho V1RR evo
Old 04-23-2004, 02:05 PM   #1095
Tech Regular

AHH!!! I just changed my profile and now everything is in reverse!! The newest posts are first instead of last!! Does anyone know how to change this Thanks