R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-21-2004, 08:36 AM   #1036
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Nitropimp
So far these are my opinions:

MTX-3 Great car!!!! Never really seen any design flaws...
Just different perspective of view....

One example: Front knuckle always cracked on medium impact and has never been improve (how hard?) by the manufacturer since it debut (1.5years ago?).
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 09:01 AM   #1037
Tech Master

Default Re: BATTERIES

Quote:
Originally posted by brooklynrc
I WAS WOUNDERING WHAT BATTERIES YOU GUYS USE FOR G4, I JUST BUILT MINES THE SPPACE LOOKS SUPER SMALL. WHAT CAN I FIT IN THERE?

THANKS
Same with MTX3, 2+3 configuration..
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:14 AM   #1038
Tech Fanatic

Sorry for not posting back sooner... Just wanted you all to know that my last post was not a knee jerk reaction to a bad day at the track, but an on going issue with the design of the steering system with the G4. You all know that I supported this car 100%. I understand that every now and then you'll break a belt or chuck a tire or just routine mantainence is needed for your up keep of Nitro cars. The steering system is one of the last things you need to worry about once you've got the proper steering servo and your radio is setup and dialed in... The G4's steering setup/design is completely different then any other car on the market today. While it provides very smooth steering, it design will also manfuction permaturely as well. When ever you have metal to metal contact and with out the use of ball bearings to promote smooth stress free movement, over time, that part will bind and stop working properly. While the sliding rail steering setup of the G4 works, I believe that there should have been more Research and developement in the setup before the G4 was released for sell. If you go as per the manuel, it tell you to place the ball stud on the top hole of the steering servo arm... This will give you the most steering throw left to right and placed less stress on the servo itself. Now the angle of the connecting rod from the servo arm and steering servo saver is key... As the wheels are turn to the right, the servo saver moves to the left on the rails and near the end of the throw, the greatest amount of stress is happening at that point. The angle of the connecting rod is pushing down on the rails while trying the move the servo saver across the rails... There in lies the problem or premature steering system failure. You can try to place the ball stud in the lower hole on the servo arm... That's what I've done to promote a more linear throw left to right. The problem with this setup is that 1. you'll have far less throw unless you Max's out your EPA settings on your radio and could possibly burn out your steering servo itself because of the add torque needed to move and steer the system. I have to set my EPA on my radio to 140% left and right just to get almost a full throw and my dual rate is also well over 100%. This is not how a steering system should be nor set up, but this is the only way I've been able to drive the car with out wearing out my steering servo saver every month of so. I've had my 2 G4's since November 2003 and it's to late for me to change cars now... "To much money invested in them right now"... I believe me and Kmac have tried just about everything to compensate/correct this issue... Kmac has went as far as to re-manufacture his servo savers with copper inserts... With the steering set up as it is, the car great to drive easy around the track, but drive the car hard and the car won't steer. Steering Ackerman is also an issue here that the designers need to address as well... While it might seem I'm trying to beat up on TM and Trinity for this issue, I'm really not. I'm trying to bring the problem to fore front so that Maybe, just maybe this thing can be corrected. Just selling kit's at a reduced price does not solve the problem. Having to change the steering servo saver after every 30-45 min. main is just not going to work... I thing I've had the front end of my car apart 1000 times let alone 3 times Sunday at the local club race... I almost said skip it during the race when my car stop steering... I just knew my KO-PROPO servo was going to burn out... I had to dig deep and fight the car to steer about the track... Peeps/friends were saying I should have brought a Mugen... "Not"... But it make me think, why am I beating my head in over this... You know it took Team Magic months to finally correct the 69cc fuel tank issue... First they said since the tank is not broken and it works, they won't replace it... Oh, but to by buy the correct size tank on Trinity's web site cost $30.00 USD... I said that because in the all likely hood, there will not be a fix for this problem for Team Magic nor Trinity... Trinity webpage offers no help with this matter... Team magic posts a how to, but does not address the real issue and that's it in the design. A little more Research and developement would have went along way... Funny thing is the New OFNA GP4 has a simular steering setup... That's what the G4's should have been... Some one posted a link for in earlier in this forum.. Yokomo is fixing all the bugs in there new 1/10 nitro car... All the hopup's from K-factory won't fix the steering system problem, Team magic needs to re-design the whole entry front bulk head and ditch the rail set-up for the one like the GP-4... That won't happen. I wonder, if anyone else has come up with a fix oversea's or in Europe??? People will post sells for parts and kits that's great... but if you read the posts here in this forum and can help... Why not post that instead of just posting what's on sell... Not flaming anyone or online RC hobby shop either, just trying to show the big picture.. If I'm the only one with this problem... Then I'm sorry for this post.... There just seems to be a lack of support from Trinity and any Rep's/drivers they may have that read this forum... Joe racer like myself and Kmac shouldn't have to try to re-engineer the car to work right... RCNut and the Border RC, not flaming you guys... Just alittle fustraited right about now...

RC_Alan
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:20 AM   #1039
Tech Fanatic

Nicko.... That sounds like good news... But I believe I heard something like at 4 months ago... Not flaming... but putting rubber dust covers on the servo saver is not going to fix the problem... The car over all is very good... I haven't broken anything on the car except the rear shock tower... Got the K-factory up grade and all is well... The one fault is the biggest problem... Steering... If you can't steer, you can't drive... Period.

Nicko... Thanks for posting and letting us know someone know's there's a problem...

RC_Alan
Old 04-21-2004, 10:45 AM   #1040
Tech Adept

hi rc-alan,
cool down. we are six g4 driver in the moment on ouer track,
and no one have the big steering problem what you tell us.
i think you have a mistake in built up the steering.
i can make a pic for you, if you whant, from my super dirty car what i have drive the last two weeks without great cleaning.
dieter
4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 01:37 PM   #1041
Tech Adept

Hiya,

I agreeded with RC-Alan regarding the problem associated with the steering system. Myself have replaced the steering sysytem three times !! The movement do work loose after a while, but at a quicker rate than most car. I had to back off the servo saver screw alot coz servo get burnt out when knocked hard by other driver. Backing out the screw meant understeer during hard cornering !!! Yep, a catch 22 situation !!. Been running the car for four months, and replaced 2 rear belts, one side belt, 2 front belts, 1 carbon shock rear tower, 3 left rear bottom arms and 2 upper, 2 solid axle cups, 1 normal diff cup and lost about 3 dog bones.......well now no problems coz some thieving B*****D nicked my car with the RR12L5 and KO servos, head unit, amps and subs from my car!!!!!

It is avery easy car to drive, but too many errors needed to be ironed out. At the moment i am tempted by the pro version offered by Border, but i might switch stable !!!!
xtreme888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 01:39 PM   #1042
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default quenstion for g4 drivers

I NEED HELP! DOES ANYONE KNOW IF FUTABA 9402 SERVO WILL FIT FOR STEERING. I YES DO I HAVE TO DO ANYTHING, IF NO WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO.

I ALSO NEED HELP WITH BATTERIES. MY BUDDY IS RUNNING 5 AAA BATTERIES IN HIS CAR THAT HE PUT TOGETHER IN A PACK. I DO NOT LIKE THAT IDEA. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT BATTERIES WILL FIT AND WHERE I CAN BUY THEM.

THANKS
brooklynrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 01:48 PM   #1043
Tech Regular

http://kinetixrc.com/

Go there and get yourself a receiver pack for your G4 for about $15.
750Mah. It says MTX-3, but it'll fit the G4.

While you're at it, get some tires too. They work great.

http://www.kinetixrc.com/catalog/pro...products_id=37
Aggdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 03:47 PM   #1044
Tech Fanatic

4racer... Do a search of my posts in this forum first.... You'll see I know what i'm taking about and I do know how to build a car... I'm not a novice at this hobby. I see you're in the UK... Has anyone there that you know of have any steering issues??? Read the post here in this forum from the very beginning and you'll see. Trinity the US Dist. of the G4 removed all forum posts of the G4 on there site.... Why??? Because almost everyone had the same problem. Steering... Think about this... If you have 10 G4's side by side and you looked at each ones steering setup, I'm sure each one would be alittle different... Why is that? Now, take a look at Serpent 710/705... The Mugen MTX3, HPI R40, NTC3, Yokomo GT4, the Kyosho FW-05 ect owners cars... You see that there owners might use different steering servo's but the setup's are the same for each car. No sanding off plastic pieces, no aftermarket stuff... Just a straight forward design that works for each company. Yes, no car is perfect and everyone has some minor issues, but not one has an issue with steering. Steering your car is not a minor issue. Changing your steering servo saver 7 times is not a minor issue. Buying every K-factory hop up for the car and bullet proofing the car the best you can and still the same issue is not a minor issue. Kmac posted a couple of days ago that he went as far as to re-engineer/build the steering servo saver himself with copper inserts... Will that fix last and be permanent??? No. But you can see what get lengths we are taking here to fix this thing... Not coming down on you 4racer, just read the forum posts first here and on other RC forums sites and you'll see that this is not a minor issue that is only affecting a few in the States.... A few of us here have gone above and beyond to try to fix/correct this thing... And a few things have help.... But really, steering the car should be your last worry. Breaking a belt, loosing a dog bone or things like that is one thing, but steering should be your last worry... Buy hey, it could only be just me with this problem... A Rep from Team Magic even posted that they are working on a complete fix for the problem... A re-design for the whole entire steering setup... So there is a known problem... Does my steering bind and stop working every time I drive the car??? No. After I've changed the servo saver, and polished the steering rails, everything works fine for a while... but like I said earlier, you should only have to put in a quailty steering servo and your steering should be one of your last worries, not the first and only thing that breaks before and during a race... I'm not flaming anyone or the car... I'm sure some of my posts here have help sell some G4's as well and I still stand behind the car... Even though sometimes I feel like I standing in quicksand...

RC_Alan

Last edited by rc_alan; 04-21-2004 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:51 PM   #1045
Tech Fanatic

brooklynrc... Yes that servo will work in the G4... I would make sure that it is a digital metal gear servo... They work the best. Also look for a speed of .09 or faster servo speed and at least 100 plus oz. of torque. The higher the torque the better...

RC_Alan
Old 04-21-2004, 04:00 PM   #1046
Tech Adept

hi alan,
no i life in germany, and i have heart about the problem with the steering, but we have no problem with it, i do not lie.
yes the g4 is not the perfect car, the other cars are also not perfect. look at the serpent tread here in the forum and you can
read more problems as you can found at the g4.
i have send to tm a wishlist with thinks what make the g4
better, the steering is not on it.
i think the g4 is a simply to built and to drive car, also the setup is simply to make.
i am shure simply ist the best
dieter
4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 06:22 PM   #1047
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by rc_alan
... Not coming down on you 4racer, just read the forum posts first here and on other RC forums sites and you'll see that this is not a minor issue that is only affecting a few in the States.......... A Rep from Team Magic even posted that they are working on a complete fix for the problem......A re-design for the whole entire steering setup.............So there is a known problem........
RC_Alan
You are right Rc-Alan, I was reading at a forum in Spain that they are having tons of problems with the steering system design.

Yes I did post some time ago a link to the Hobao GP4 posted in Team Magic's web site showing how a simple steering design is posible without a big modification of the G4. If i had the car I'm sure i can make that mod. with parts from Mugen or Kyosho or Hobao, but i didn't buy the G4, which I like overall until that issue is corrected.

I'll wait and see what Nicko and Team Magic comes up with, because I still think it is a good car.

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 06:35 PM   #1048
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to nickko

Thanks for your guys' support.

We are thinking & testing other steering choices. We hope in the future, you can just choose the one you like the most. More choice, more fun.
nickko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 08:15 PM   #1049
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mckrooz

Guys, I was rc_alans pit man on Sunday at the race. The car is a very good car that drives fast and stable. I can account for rc-alans claims of his frustration. The G4 was hit and miss. Most laps it'd be fine. The next he'd lose steering. Very inconsistent. You can't have that in a main. He really loves the car, but his ONLY complaint ever was always that damn steering setup. For someone to replace his servo saver 3-4 times in only a few months and to keep spares of servo savers while he should be carrying spares of other things that wear out. Like belts or plugs. The servo savers shouldn't be something that just wears out over time. I'm positive rc_alan knows how to build his car, so assembling it wrong is out of the question. He's one of those guys who will try to do things the right way even if it's the long way. Good luck with whatever you choose rc_alan. There should be a new Yoke so you have some very good cars to choose from. And congrats again on your 2nd place finish. Damn good race.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:35 PM   #1050

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 4racer
yes the g4 is not the perfect car, the other cars are also not perfect. look at the serpent tread here in the forum and you can
read more problems as you can found at the g4.

im with you
I think the steering problem does suck but just think how you would feel if you had a serpent they have a faq page and a 710 black book for all there problems ha plus ball diffs LOL yuck imagine rebuilding those every week not to mention how much it cost to rebuild the diffs. my G4 went together like a snap together model. parts fit perfect and the car is solid not to mention low cg and less rotating mass. I will deal with this pesky
steering rack over all the other problems you could have. i hope tm will do something about the steering but i will run this car it handles awsome and is tuff. by the way rc alan i hope you dont switch cars you are the one that sold me on this car. I hope we can figure out a solution. good luck at the track Jesse
J FAST is offline   Reply With Quote