R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-20-2004, 02:19 PM   #1021
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedy1
Hey Guy's

I'm new to the site, and have just re-entered the hobby after a ten year hiatus. I am in the process of building my new G4 Pro E-class, that I bought after a lot of research, and deliberation. I hope I have made the right decision, it came down to the G4, and the 710, G4 won because it was different, I don't like being one of those guys that has the same thing as everyone else. Still trying to decide on motor, servo's, and receiver, but I'm starting to think I would be better off getting rid of it, I am not looking forward to all the headaches that seem to be associated with this car, on top of a lack of support from the manufacturer. Am I over reacting, will the car be able to lay the smack down on my buddies Serpents, or am I just in for one bumpy, unhappy road? Hmmmmmmm.
Yes, every car has its weaknesses, but if you look at the rest of this thread you will find compliments on the car also. Yes, it has faults, but whats life w/o a little stress ? Just like you I chose the G4 also b/c it was different, and so far i have been pleased. my experience has been enjoyable and tm is a great company to worj with. Anyway, just hang on and try the car out, see how you like it. Just please don't ditch the car before you try it out .
Later,
bballer
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 02:32 PM   #1022
Tech Regular

Quote:
Speedy1 Hey Guy's

I'm new to the site, and have just re-entered the hobby after a ten year hiatus. I am in the process of building my new G4 Pro E-class, that I bought after a lot of research, and deliberation. I hope I have made the right decision, it came down to the G4, and the 710, G4 won because it was different, I don't like being one of those guys that has the same thing as everyone else. Still trying to decide on motor, servo's, and receiver, but I'm starting to think I would be better off getting rid of it, I am not looking forward to all the headaches that seem to be associated with this car, on top of a lack of support from the manufacturer. Am I over reacting, will the car be able to lay the smack down on my buddies Serpents, or am I just in for one bumpy, unhappy road? Hmmmmmmm
my advise to you is build the car and run it, don't worry to much with the problems that people keep talking about.
read the bullet proof your steering link on this site by KMAC i believe, learn how to set it up and you should have no major problems
i have run my G4 for 8 months all i have done to it is replace the servo saver 2 meetings ago, not coz it was binding, just alittle play.
put the car on the track and drive it, you wont be sorry, its the best 1/10 nitro car i have driven, and i have had most of them
jas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 02:42 PM   #1023
Tech Initiate

Thanks for picking my spirits up guys, I will give the car a shot before giving up on it. Looking for advice: what engine should I run, and how much should I expect to spend?
Speedy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 06:17 PM   #1024
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by KMac
RC_Alan, other than the steering issues, which are livable if you know how to adjust it properly, I've had absolutely no other problems with my G4. I've literally abused this thing and have only replace a steering knuckle, which was all my fault that it broke to begin with. I just can't see losing the money you're going to lose on your stuff, especially when few other cars can even touch the G4 (in equal hands).

I'm afraid you will find there are issues with every car that are annoying but I don't know of a perfect car; there's always going to be a weakest link.
Very true, I am still in the process of putting the car together and have had only one weekend running with a friends car. If there is anything to watch for it would be great to hear about it now.
J_Longbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 06:51 PM   #1025
Tech Adept

Hey Guy,

****Still looking for a manuel if anyone can help a fellow racer?

I bought a used G4 which needs to be cleaned up and set up right
but, I need a manuel so I can do it right. I've raced onroad electrics and this is my first nitro onroad car and i want to do it right just like the manuel says.
So, if anyone can sell me or better yet give out a zerox copy of theirs it would really really HELPFUL.

If you notice i picked the G4 over the very well liked MTX3 which seems to be what everyone is using at my track.
GalxzFlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:36 PM   #1026
Tech Addict

Quote:
****Still looking for a manuel if anyone can help a fellow racer?
I told you to PM your address if RcNut couldn't help you Anyway PM or email me your address at [email protected] and I'll copy my manual and send it to you.....

So far these are my opinions:

MTX-3 Great car!!!! Never really seen any design flaws...

710- Parts part and parts.. Everything has to modded to fit.

V one RR- A TANK.. The car handles. Only problem is the rear adjustments.

Yokomo GT-4- A great car. A little outdated. Car on a small tight track couldn't get dialed in. Had a tendency to push out of turns. OHHH and the servo saver had to be shaved to get full steering.

That's my 2 cents...
Nitropimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:54 PM   #1027
Tech Master

I was in the same situation as you, looking for a manual. RCnut got me an E class manual for 4 bucks! He mailed it along with my last order. He'll fix you up as well.
Dbackmasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:57 PM   #1028
Tech Adept

Thanx I email you it.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:59 PM   #1029
Tech Adept

Thanx, I did email RCnut but did not get a reply.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:28 PM   #1030
Tech Regular

If anybody is in need of a G4 manual. I have one scanned. Just email me.
Aggdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:43 PM   #1031
Tech Addict

You got PM Aggdaddy..........thanks
Nitropimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 11:04 PM   #1032

hey guys i have finally got to get my car out on the track! after breakng in my new motor i gave it hell. this car is so smooth it drives itself. i definatly will never go back to shaft car. i ran about half a gallon through it and it felt better than my ntc3 ever felt after all summer of tunning. the steering did after about 8 runs lose some throw. the track was pretty dusty though and my rails were a little to close so there was a little slop. but the car did have great traction and was so stable and held its settings. left to right balance was perfect. anyway i just wanted to say i will take a steering rack that needs frequant cleaning and adjusting
over rebuilding ball diffs front and rear every 2 heats anyday. ecspecialy with this good of handling. having a smooth diff after half a galon is awsome. gritty diffs really impare handling.
i just cleaned and put my car back together i got the traxxes ball cups as kmac uses so it will be at a 90 deg angle and also i had to grind a little off the bulk heads to get full throw tightend the rails so the rack was a little snug and put silicone on them and it seems to be real smooth and more steering throw. anyway i want to say thumbs up to team magic for this awsome handeling car i know it will make me faster for sure! its so stable i cant beleive it! jesse
J FAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 11:31 PM   #1033
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by J FAST

anyway i just wanted to say i will take a steering rack that needs frequant cleaning and adjusting
over rebuilding ball diffs front and rear every 2 heats anyday.

That's exactly what I was thinking. The G4 is a superior car to the competition. The steering maintenance is a minor problem for a race car. If and when Team Magic comes up with a fix for the steering rack, everybody is gonna drop them Serpents and Mugens for a G4 to stay, COMPETITIVE.
Aggdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 06:23 AM   #1034
Tech Adept

hi,
i race the g4 since july 2003, and i have no problem with the
steering.
last year i race with a kopropo 2001 and now i have a jr 8418
on the steering.
i think the g4 is not a perfect, but a good car for racing
best regards from germany
dieter
4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 08:34 AM   #1035
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default BATTERIES

I WAS WOUNDERING WHAT BATTERIES YOU GUYS USE FOR G4, I JUST BUILT MINES THE SPPACE LOOKS SUPER SMALL. WHAT CAN I FIT IN THERE?

THANKS
brooklynrc is offline   Reply With Quote