R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-29-2003, 06:39 PM   #316
Tech Regular

If I was building another kit, this is what I would do.

Order a micro receiver and 5 cell AAA battery pack.
Order some more shock springs. (Kit springs are too stiff for my
track).
Order the aluminum steering rail mounts.
and
Grind the inner part of the brake pads.
On most kits, the pulley hits the brake pad every revolution.

Clean and relube your bearings. They seem to work better.
Aggdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 08:34 PM   #317
Tech Fanatic

Bballer, If you've built 1/10 scale nitro sedans before, you shouldn't have any problems building this one.. I have two and one full kit just incase I break something. lol... There are two parts that you should have for extra parts... They are the steering servo saver and the rear Carbon fiber shock tower upgrade... Oh, you can never have enough belts either... :-) Some will say buy this car or that car.. Hands down, this Team magic G4 is the best car on the market. The S-710 is a nice looking car and looks like Serpent was thinking along the same lines as Trinity and Team Magic when they design there car... The Low CG of the G4 is like no other on the 1/10 200mm market, it's light, strong, super balanced and is a dream to drive. If you can fine the Team Magic Competition Pipe... The pipe is an Outlaw.... But man is it sweet though!!! It comes with Teflon washers to increase bottom end or if you like, the top end as well... Hope the info and tips help you out and good luck.

RC_Alan
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 12:54 PM   #318
Tech Regular

Hey, thanks for all the help. this is my 1st nitro on road, but so far it has been an easy build. one quick question, i was just gluing the brake pads to the aluminum brake things and by accident the CA glue got on the outside of the pad. Will this be a problem for braking, or am I just overreacting?
thanks
bballer
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 07:38 PM   #319
Tech Fanatic

How much CA got on the outside??? You're lucky, CA glue is alot easier to clean/get off then say JB weld or cement... If you can clean it up.. Do so and take your time... Make sure all your arms move freely on there pins and nothing binds in anyway... Also when you build your shocks, the stock pladders are to small. Don't use those, buy the OFNA shock pladder kit for $3.00 and you'll be in business. If you use the stock pladders, the pladders will collapes and won't work properly. What steering servo are you going to use? Make use you use a Digital servo for steering and shave a 1-2mm off the plastic ball cap that attaches to the servo arm... Other then that, you'll be up and rolling in no time..

Old 12-31-2003, 08:21 AM   #320
Regional Moderator

Recommended servo : Sanwa/Airtronics since they are smaller in width
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 09:05 AM   #321
Tech Regular

thanks again for all the help, not much is on the pad, just a few drops in the lower corner. what should i use to remove it? also, I haven't bought a radio yet but was leaning for the JR xs3 that comes with 2 servos. I know about the steering problems, but is a digital servo a must? Im trying to spend as little as possible since im low on funds.
later,
bballer
Old 12-31-2003, 09:47 AM   #322
Tech Regular

The JR 590 servo that comes with the Xs3 performs great for my rs4 SS. So I figured I try it out on my G4. Didn't perform as great. Actually rather slow. It might have been a bad servo that I bought from the LHS. It turns ok, but there seems to be a bit of binding on one side. Thats after i have had it in the G4 though. it might have been my steering setup that caused it. I'm using an Airtronics digital with over 150oz of torque. Performs better but not as fast as the steering in my Rs4 SS. It may have to do with the difference in steering setups. I think the bell crank style accelerates the steering, where as the g4 setup is more linear.
Aggdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 01:24 PM   #323
Tech Fanatic

Wow... I just got through typing some great stuff about this and before I could post it... I got logged off... Buy a high end steering servo... The KO-PROPO PDS-2143FET cost all of $85.00 and you can't beat it for speed and torque.. High torque servo's are mostly used for Monster truck and buggies... They need to extra torque because of the weight of the trucks as compared to a 1/10 nitro car. Remember, that the G4 E-class is a high end car and needs a high end Metal gear, gigital servo. Aggdaddy is correct, the g4 steering setup is more linear and speed is key for the steering to feel correct while driving...The JRxs3 radio is a great radio, but the servo's are cheap at best... The metal gear one is way to slow and it's torque is just desent at best. Bballer, I know you're trying to watch your spending, if you can, buy a good radio first and then get your steering servo. KO-PROPO or a very good Airtronics servo. Look for a speed in the range of .09sec and torque of 103oz/in or better. If you buy a JR or Hitec, you'll be doing alot shaving... Just remember that... Josh Cyrul used a KO-PROPO in his car as well... The JR xs3 costs what, $180.00-$200.00 and a High end servo can cost as much as $130.00... You do the math. Send your money wisely and on the right things first and you'll end up saving money in the long run.

RC_Alan
Old 01-01-2004, 01:29 PM   #324
Tech Regular

Can someone reccommend a few quality servos that aren't going to kill my wallet but will still work with the G4? Also, since i was basically set with the xs3 synthesized but now may change my mind, can anyone give a few radio and servo combinations with prices? Thanks

btw, i have a few stock jr servos that have not been used for electric. can i use the extra servos for the throttle control? or do i need a fast response servo there too.
Old 01-01-2004, 03:03 PM   #325
Tech Regular

I use the Hitec digital on my steering, but I've modified my linkage a little.
KMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 05:05 PM   #326
Tech Fanatic

For your throttle, you can use the servo's you have laying around. The trottle servo is just working the brake and throttle and not much stress is put on this one. That Jrxs3 is a good radio, but when buying one, don't always look for a combo deal as you'll never get the quailty steering servo you need. Buy a radio without servos and you'll save 20-40 dollars, use the saved money to buy the proper steering servo you want. $85.00 dollars for a good digital metal gear servo is really not that much$$$... Oh, I heard that Trinity is going to release a C-class and E-class G-4 RTR... Yes, a Ready to run in the next few months.. All you need is starter box and fuel...

Old 01-01-2004, 07:58 PM   #327
Tech Regular

rc_alan - Thanks for all the responses
Does anyone know if there is an xs3 radio w/o servos? i looked around but couldn't find any of them.
and yeah the rtr is pretty sweet, too bad i already got one.
on the subject of starter boxes, i have the x5 and have looked at it and it seems pretty good but have yet to put it to the test.
later,
bballer
Old 01-03-2004, 02:35 AM   #328
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just a note on the shocks....

I have been going through the car trying to get everything smoother and ready to race, and I replaced the bladders with some GS bladders that I picked up and those made the shocks MUCH better as far as rebound and smoothness.

I would recommend that if you haven't done that yet...ditch those stock bladders and get some new ones.

Also, a tip on assembly with the new bladders...Remove the O-Ring that goes in the top of the cap. They bigger bladders won't fit with those there and their isn't any adverse side effects with taking those out....

Kudos to rc-alan for that original tip!!!
Old 01-03-2004, 08:38 AM   #329
Tech Fanatic

kansasracer... I see we must be on the same track or driving the same car.. I also notice that I develope a crack in my rear shock tower... Not once, but twice... In the same spot on both my G4's... First I thought it was me, but when it happen on my second G'4 in the same place.. Quick fix, mix some JB weld and place a small amount on crack, let dry... problem solved. Also you can do this before the crack forms. The location of the crack is the lower right back side of the rear shock tower. Took all of 5mins to bullet proof the area. Over all though, I haven't had any major problems with the car at all. The plastic used over all in this car is top notch. I had the NTC3 and HPI R40... Sold all of them... Those cars can't compare to the G4 at all. Those cars are good, it's just that when you've driven a great car, you just can't compare just average or a "Me-Too" car to the Team Magic G4 E-class. Just trying to help the cause... Anyone else with any tips that pretain directly to the G4, please post... Kansasracer, I'm happy to see a Mod post quality tips and caring about the forum as well... Thanks.

PS. Bballer, all JR radio's come with servos.. and there receivers are to large for the G4. G4 use only micro receivers. You can buy the Airtronics MX-3 for about $90.00-$100.00 with out servos and then buy the KO-PRO PDS-2143 for $85.00 for your steering. All for under $190.00. You get the digital, high speed,metal gear servo and a micro receiver that comes with the Airtronics MX-3 FM computer radio. That JRxs3 was going to cost you $200.00-$220.00 easy and you would still need to get the micro receiver too. Those cost about $65.00... Go with the MX-3 and KO-PRO for $180.00 or spend almost $300.00 for the JRxs3 radio and micro receiver. See, you don't have to have alot of money to get your car ready for the track.

RC_Alan..
Old 01-03-2004, 12:17 PM   #330
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

alan,

I have too owned alot of nitro cars (MTX3 and NTC3) and am very excited to see how this is going to run. I am probably going to upgrade that rear tower, 'cause I noticed some flex in it.