R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-23-2003, 01:41 AM   #301
Tech Fanatic

Tranced.. I bought the Viper cooling head at Ultimate Hobbies in Orange California for $41.00 I'm temping about 210-220* with the Dodge Stratus body on it... The Heat sink is great and you can use it both on Lola bodies and Sedan bodies as well. I'm running it on a well worn Nova 5 port Turbo .12 motor and 30 percent Nitro.... As long as your body has enough air getting in and out, you'll be fine. Remember also, I'm in SoCal and the Temps gets pretty hot out here as well... Ultimate hobbies web address is... WWW.ultimatehobbies.com

You should also be able to find there 800 number on the site. Good luck and happy racing

rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 01:50 AM   #302
Tech Fanatic

Oh... The CG on the G4 is by far the best of any on road 1/10 scale nitro car on the market today. And with the Viper cooling head on any Novarossi line of motors... Guys were running 4 and 5 rear camber with there Mugen MTX 3's because it just rain the day before. I ran 2* rear camber and my car was planted on ever curve on the track. 37 shore tires and nothing extra. It turn in great and handles likes it's on rails...

Oh, there was one guy in the pits with 3 HPI R40's wrenching.... I never saw his car on the track...
Old 12-25-2003, 10:40 PM   #303
Tech Adept

After a couple of runs my steering assembly does not move as smoothly as I'd have liked. It just doesn't go to full travel on 1 side.I'm using Futaba 9402 for steering.I getting frustrated here as nothing I do seems to cure the problem.Worse is I was just starting to like this car then my other cars which is MTX 3 and V1RR evo. Any help is highly appreciated.Thanks in advance.
Zizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 10:59 PM   #304
Tech Regular

That steering rack or setup seemed to have messed up my first servo that I put in it. I started with a JR 590 steering servo and it seemed to be ok, but after a little while the steering response wasn't as fast as when the car was built. The servo feels like its binding on one side of the throw. I have since switched to a airtronics digital servo, seems to be better, but the whole steering setup just doesn't seem to be as fast as my rs4 SS. Perhaps it is because of the bel crank steering geometry?

Anyway, I plan to get those aluminum sliding steering rail mounts so that I can screw it in a little tighter to ensure the adjustment doesn't move.

The plastic ones just doesn't seem to hold there adjustment.
Aggdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 11:54 PM   #305
Tech Master

Try to look the answer on team magic forum.. there are clear information for solutions.
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 10:00 AM   #306
Tech Fanatic

Fix for steering problem... The key for smooth steering action is 1, the alignment of your steering rails. 2, your servo saver adjustment. 3, the type of servo being used. 4, the clearance between the ball cup and bulkhead during operation/steering and 5, if there is any dirt or debris that has gotten in the servo saver's rail hole openings... Went to Team Magic's forum for help on this one, nothing there except for the Steering servo assembling... Had to call Trinity on this one. First, make sure your steering rails are straight and not bent. Also that they are parallel to each other during assembly. I was told by Trinity to push the Servo Saver alittle towards the rear of the car and tighten the rail set screws... Second, the best servo's to use are digital servo's for the steering. Josh Cyrul was using KO Propo PDS-2174FET's. I'm using the PDS-2143FET's and the steering action is smoother then what you would see on a Mugen MTX3, HPI-R40 or Kyosho V-one-RR... Remember to get the smoothest steering action you have to use true Digital servo's. Third, make sure your servo saver is not to loose, tighten it, but not overly tight. See page 11-step 4 for tip about this. Fourth, I had to shave some of the ball cap, about 2mm and some of the bulk head about 2-3mm to ensure nothing would touch or bind in anyway. I did both my cars this way and the one with the KO Propo servo, the steering is smooth as silk and the one with HiTech 925mg non-digital servo, the steering action has alittle more resisitance. That's due to the type of servo only. Trinity's Team drivers were using the KO Propo servo's as well. Remember to keep the rails clean and the servo saver clean from dirt and debris. After every run or after the day at the track, do a complete cleaning of your car. You don't have to use oil's or lube's on the rails, but if you do, use a dry lubricant. Oil's will attract dirt and other stuff on the the rails and into holes the rails ride through... Sound like alot, but not really... lol Oh, You'll go through a Servo saver before anything else in the steering assembly, so have one or two extra on hand.... Good luck and I hope the info helps..

Zizu.. Buy a new servo saver and install it. Go step by step from the tips here and I'm sure you'll be up and running in no time...

RC_Alan

Last edited by rc_alan; 12-26-2003 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:20 PM   #307
Tech Regular

Thanks RC_Alan. That looks like some good info.

I think I still need the aluminum rail mounts. My steering is smooth, it just has a little slop in it. I would set it where its smooth but later on it would loosen up.

Would a dry lubricant be something like graphite powder were you thinking of something else?
Aggdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 07:12 PM   #308
Tech Fanatic

Aggdaddy... Graphite powder is correct... Also check your servo saver, it might be to loose or needs replacing... Hey, we're here helping each other out... Sharing info is why we're all here... Keeping this hobby going and having fun at the same time.

RC_Alan
Old 12-26-2003, 10:15 PM   #309
Tech Adept

Thanks RC_Alan. I seemed to have found a cure for this.A friend is using the alloy servo assembly and using a Hitec digital servo and still had the problem I had.Apparently he rounded off the metal sleeve in the servo saver that the rail goes through.This sleeve has sharp edge and due to the way the steering linkage is the movement of the s/saver is not exactly linear on both rails.And because of the sleeve edge it binds the movement.It's like twisting before the saver moves.So by rounding the edge the saver moves freely.I hope I really make myself clear on this cos this car really has a problem on its steering assembly.Remember simply using a high torque servo is just masking the problem.Well it works on my car.This is one hell of a car It's awesome.Thanks again everyone.
Zizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 01:22 AM   #310
Tech Addict

Default Servo saver

Quote:
Originally posted by Zizu
Thanks RC_Alan. I seemed to have found a cure for this.A friend is using the alloy servo assembly and using a Hitec digital servo and still had the problem I had.Apparently he rounded off the metal sleeve in the servo saver that the rail goes through.This sleeve has sharp edge and due to the way the steering linkage is the movement of the s/saver is not exactly linear on both rails.And because of the sleeve edge it binds the movement.It's like twisting before the saver moves.So by rounding the edge the saver moves freely.I hope I really make myself clear on this cos this car really has a problem on its steering assembly.Remember simply using a high torque servo is just masking the problem.Well it works on my car.This is one hell of a car It's awesome.Thanks again everyone.
yes the edges has to smooth saves you a lot of steering power and get everything straight so all is real smooth use some teflon lube ore ore powder.
good luck

3Racing-Ride-BRP-Team Orion-XRAY-HUDY-Serpent-Kyosho-Lrp-Speed Passion-MR33-JG-and many more
border r/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 01:12 PM   #311
Tech Adept

I am just going to order my G4 is there something else I should order like must have hop ups?
rodrigo1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 03:47 PM   #312
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by rodrigo1508
I am just going to order my G4 is there something else I should order like must have hop ups?
Yes a S710
Pacman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 05:22 PM   #313
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by rodrigo1508
1. Make sure you get the newest batch for the kit (It comes with 75cc fuel tank and longer drive shaft)
2. Aluminum hex wheel
3. Rear shock tower and support
4. Chassis
5. Since the car is very very stable (very low CoG = less body/traction roll), for high grip and large track you have to buy the most expensive engine you can afford
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 09:22 AM   #314
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacman25
Yes a S710
Ahhh yes, after seeing the 710 in action for the first time today, I'll have to agree with Pacman!
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 03:02 PM   #315
Tech Regular

hey, i just got a g4 and am in the process of building it (slowly & carefully). does anyone have any tips for the building process so i don't have to waste my time fixing something because it wasn't assembled correctly?
thanks,
bballer
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote