R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-23-2004, 06:16 AM   #2161
Tech Adept

After months of driving the Serpent 710 I've to say it was a pleasure to drive the G4 once again.I'm not sayin the 710 is a bad car.Just bad consistent experience with certain issues.I've since put on a lot of K factory upgrades on my G4 for the cool looks.RC Alan that was some mod you made.Could you post pictures showing the back of the MTX 3 bellcrank?Just curious to know where you attach the linkage to the bellcrank end.
Zizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:01 AM   #2162
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by brooklynrc
can anyone email me the coppy of mugen mtx3 manual, i would greately appreciate it. my email is [email protected]

Go Here: http://www.mugenracing.com/online%20...tx-3manual.htm

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:37 AM   #2163
Tech Fanatic

Zizu, that piece is being custom made... I thought is was going to be completed this week, but is should be completed and the steering conversion done next week. I was really looking forward to driving and testing the car this weekend... Somethings just can't be rushed. The car is 80-85% complete. The bellcrank and the linkage will look very well made when done. As soon as more details come in, I'll post them here along with pics of everything... Good looking out and thanks for asking Ziru.. I know alot a G4 owners are waiting for the TM steering upgrade too. I have 2 G4's, so I'll pick one of those up just to see if it's a long term fix. I prefer a bellcrank style steering system, but I want to test the two against each other... When my conversion is done, I'll post the parts needed to do the work along with pics...

RC_Alan
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 09:15 AM   #2164
Tech Regular

Posting the parts won't do much good if it's being custom made. The problem with the bellcrank systems is the same problem you have with the MTX-3 system you're adapting: they are 90 degree bellcranks and the G4 needs a 180 degree bellcrank.

Part of the reason the G4 is the best performing car out there is due to it's high speed steering abilities, which comes from it's sliding rack design that essentially has little to no Ackerman problems,(but obviously has durability issues). The bell crank system works well but does have Ackerman issues. The TM steering fix is inbetween the two, as it is a parallel link design which is close to the original system's geometry, but not quite the same.

The TM design does, however, maintain the 5th body post capability, whereas any of the bellcrank designs must use the body post mount to secure the top of the bell crank mount.

Also, on the bellcrank design, if the distance (A) from the steering link attach point to the center of the bellcrank pivot is longer than the distance (B) from the pivot to the steering knuckle link attach points, you're going to have slower steering than the original or the new G4 steering systems. If (A) is shorter than (B), though, you will have faster steering, but at the sacrifice of overall steering torque capability.
KMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 09:41 AM   #2165
Tech Initiate

Check this out guys.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=45779
Speedy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:21 PM   #2166
Tech Regular

Default Aggdaddy.. thanks for the help

I resealed the carb and the back plate with rtv 700 degree silicon sealant, took out the shim, put in an HPI standard cold plug, noticed that the main needle(the one your not supposed to touch) was not flush with the carb body so i turned it 1 1/2 turns out to make it flush and set the low and high needles a little on the rich side from recommended settings and the Rossi motor is back to life!!!! only had to do a little turning with the low and high needles and had this baby running after 2 starts on the starter box and ran the full tank of gas out and checked the temps when i was done and they were only at 183 degree's!!!!!!!!! This has almost as much power as my novamega 5 port turbo. Thanks for all your help.

Mike
budlightnmyhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:51 PM   #2167
Tech Regular

Good Job Mike I know this isn't the engine thread, but lately my rs3 has been running hot even though it's way too rich ( tons of smoke and fuel out exhaust, pinch test leans it to optimal setting, and it occasionally bogs down.) My dad was playing with my engine a while back, and trying to help, set the mid needle to a crazy setting. I tried screwing it back to flush, but not sure if its at the right setting. I'll try to fix that and maybe it will fix my problem.
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 01:27 PM   #2168
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to rbboy Send a message via Yahoo to rbboy

a nice G4 wallpaper
Old 07-23-2004, 05:15 PM   #2169
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

thanks afm!!!!
Old 07-24-2004, 12:53 AM   #2170
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by KMac
Posting the parts won't do much good if it's being custom made. The problem with the bellcrank systems is the same problem you have with the MTX-3 system you're adapting: they are 90 degree bellcranks and the G4 needs a 180 degree bellcrank.

Part of the reason the G4 is the best performing car out there is due to it's high speed steering abilities, which comes from it's sliding rack design that essentially has little to no Ackerman problems,(but obviously has durability issues). The bell crank system works well but does have Ackerman issues. The TM steering fix is inbetween the two, as it is a parallel link design which is close to the original system's geometry, but not quite the same.

The TM design does, however, maintain the 5th body post capability, whereas any of the bellcrank designs must use the body post mount to secure the top of the bell crank mount.

Also, on the bellcrank design, if the distance (A) from the steering link attach point to the center of the bellcrank pivot is longer than the distance (B) from the pivot to the steering knuckle link attach points, you're going to have slower steering than the original or the new G4 steering systems. If (A) is shorter than (B), though, you will have faster steering, but at the sacrifice of overall steering torque capability.
Kmac... Ok.. I've never had a steering problem with a bell crank setup... My Mugen is the best driving and steering car I've ever had... That's why I'm changing the G4 to the same system... To each his own... If you like the steering rails... Great... I and 99% of the RC world will stay with the bellcrank system... Oh, and believe me, my G4 will be dialed and with no steering failures either... I will look into the TM update for my other G4 like I posted earlier... but only after I've seen a few posts about it here in this forum... Not bashing... Just know what I want to do... and I'm very close to getting with the car.

RC_Alan

Last edited by rc_alan; 07-24-2004 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:57 AM   #2171
Tech Regular

I understand where KMac is coming from. he is just saying if it isn't designed correctly it won't work the same as the rails. If you get it right then there is nothing to argue about. I'm looking into getting mugen servo saver thing just like you did. I have been looking for a while now, i'm talking 2 weeks on towers website but i just can't seem to find a good bellcrank system. THen you showed me the mugen and it looks like i can make it work.

Mike
Old 07-24-2004, 07:59 AM   #2172
Tech Fanatic

We've all seen the TM spy shot of there Steering system upgrade. Do I plan on getting one?? Yes. but during the wait for it though, some G4 owners took matters into there own hands... That works and some cases, better then stock and without the binding and failure during races..

This is someone's retro fit using the Xray bellcrank... Although he did have to do some mods... The system works very well... Sometimes it takes taking matters into your own hands. His work looks very good... Oh, and he works for the Border R/C...

[/B][/QUOTE]

And this is my G4... You can use Kyosho evo RR, Mugen. Xray and the new GP-4 by OFNA... Now that one is very close to the G4 design... and I'm sure a few others... Yes, You will have to do some mods and some work.. but that's what this is.. A hobby. If you can make something better... You do it... I will say this... Yes the steering on the stock G4 is smooth... But I never had enough steering throw using the stock system. I believe many here tried there best to bullet proof the stock system to no luck... I'm happy TM listen to there owners and read the posts here and elsewhere and did something about it with there new upgrade..

I'll stick with the bellcrank setup and if everything works... I'm happy.... You guys can stick with the rails setup... And if it works... everyone's happy...

RC_Alan
Old 07-24-2004, 10:27 AM   #2173
Tech Regular

I'm just happy my car runs now. The new servo saver is working fine. The system comes back to full center everytime now. Just have to use a little silicone spray every so often to free her back up.
I haven't had any broken parts in the last liter of fuel i'm happy

Mike
Old 07-26-2004, 01:23 AM   #2174
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to rbboy Send a message via Yahoo to rbboy
Default G4 wins Copa de Portugal 2004

laps the serpent driver 4 laps wow
Old 07-26-2004, 01:38 AM   #2175
Tech Regular

Default G4 Wins Aldershot National in UK scale rubber compionship

Congratulations to Darren Johnson, TQ'ed and won the A final by 3 laps