R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-01-2004, 08:24 AM   #2026
Tech Fanatic

budlightnmyhand... You can use the HPI glow plug found on Towerhobbies website... HPI imports there plugs from Novarossi and they are long plugs.... They are very good plugs... Also that Associated McCoy plug is a good plug also... It's a long plug that your motor needs, it's a hot plug and it's alittle cheaper in cost... I myself would go with the HPI/Novarossi plug... You should always have at least one in each temp range...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFRE9&P=M

RC_Alan

Last edited by rc_alan; 07-01-2004 at 08:26 PM.
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:46 AM   #2027
Tech Regular

So i should probably buy at least 2 of each the HPI #3, #4, and #5 along with a McCoy 59 and then just try them all out to see how this motor reacts to each plug on diff days huh??

Thanks,
Mike
budlightnmyhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 11:20 AM   #2028
Tech Regular

Do you think i can gain some performance with going to 30 percent nitro, and using the shim and the coldest HPI plug?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-01-2004, 11:32 AM   #2029
Tech Fanatic

budlightnmyhand... I think this thread can help you with all your engine tuning questions for Rossi Motors... http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.p...threadid=29550

Any question pretaining to the G4 should be asked here... The Rossi Pixy has it's on thread.... And for good reason... I'm sure the guys running that motor can give more indept info then we can here... Good luck

RC_Alan

Last edited by rc_alan; 07-01-2004 at 08:24 PM.
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 04:56 PM   #2030
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default .

Well,?
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

CHECK OUT GARCIA GRAPHIX ON FACEBOOK -LOOKING FOR 2017 TEAM DRIVER'S!
Raul Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 10:30 PM   #2031
Tech Regular

Guys, i just got all my parts today thanks to rcnut (except for one little thing that should be here in a week or 2) I got the aluminum middle mount, aluminum servo mounts, aluminum wheel hexes, k factory servo saver, k factory servo rail mounts, new k factory side belt, new front pulley, and the new adjustable gas tank!!! WOHOOO!!!

Any tips on anyting that i can do to the servo saver to make it last longer I know its metal but does anyone have any do's and don'ts before i install this?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-01-2004, 11:12 PM   #2032
Tech Regular

Default Re: Aggdaddy, rossi motor question

Quote:
Originally posted by budlightnmyhand
How many shims should i have on my motor with an OS #8 plug running odonnel 20 percent nitro race blend fuel? Also can i just take the head off by unscrewing the bolts through the heat sink?

Mike
Hey, sorry I didn't post sooner. I don't wanna go against the advice given, because I am sure that it is good advice. However I run my Rossi a little different.
The Rossi black pixi comes with the turbo button and a rossi R5 plug. I've only ran 20% Maxi fuel and the power output is satisfactory for my needs. When I first broke in the engine I used the regular r5 plug. Never could get the engine to top out with the standard plug, no matter how lean it was.
So after some trial and error, I decided to remove the shim and use a turbo plug. I'm using a Novarossi turbo ultra plug currently. Since then I haven't looked back. I just tune it to the current weather conditions and run. Temps when its rich is around 215, optimal power, temps around 255. When it gets hotter than 265, I've noticed it loses power.
So to answer your question, if you don't have the turbo button to use, remove the one shim and use a cold plug with 20% nitro.
I think you can remove the head bolts with a 2.5 hex.
Aggdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 05:40 AM   #2033
Tech Regular

Hey thanks aggdaddy,
I bought my g4 off ebay with the motor already installed. I got everything for 250 shipped to my house so i can't complain but it didn't come with a glow plug in it and it didn't come with box for motor or any extra shims or anything.

Here's what i'm going to try. I have an OS#8 plug right now and its a little shorter than the plugs that are recommended for this motor so i'm going to try removing the silver shim (that the only one that came on my motor) and try running it with the OS#8 plug and 20 percent nitro fuel. Since the plug is shorter i don't have to worry about the piston hitting the glow plug. If i get more consistent runnings with this setup i will keep it like that. If it runs like crap i will try something different. I have to run my car uppers near 260 - 265 to get really good responce out of the motor. I think i need to change something a little. I would like to get the temps down some.

Mike
Old 07-02-2004, 07:29 AM   #2034
Tech Regular

When you remove the shim, you should be able to use the engine at lower temps because of the higher compression.

I think the OS plug #8 is a long plug and I would only use it engines that have lower rpms, like .12 offroad truck engines. You should use the cold plugs like the R5.
I say cold plugs because I think they can handle the high rpm engines better than the medium temp. plugs.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:56 AM   #2035
Tech Regular

I can stop at the hobby shop today and pick up some of them HPI plugs. I can get all 3 of them if want. The #3 #4 and the #5. Or should i just get the R4 and R5.

THanks,
Mike
Old 07-02-2004, 09:34 AM   #2036
Tech Regular

I like to keep it simple. O.S. #A5 plug worked for me when i was running the O.S. 12tr in my HPI rs4 SS so I kept using it. I'm using the turbo ultra plug from NovaRossi, so that's the only thing I can recommend because I know it works for me.

So try all three of them if you want, you might get better results.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:14 AM   #2037
Tech Regular

I can't run the turbo plug, i only have the standard button. I'm talking about the HPI regular plugs numbered #3, #4, or #5. #3 is a medium temp plug and #5 is a cold plug. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mike
Old 07-02-2004, 10:26 AM   #2038
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to rbboy Send a message via Yahoo to rbboy
Wink need help on my gearing ratio

hey G4 freaks! i want to change my gearing ratio since i will be running in a smaller/ tighter track this weekend.. the gearing that came with the evo kit is 47t for the first spur and 51t for the 2nd... pinion gear is 20t and 24t right? well i have a 46t for the first and 58t spur for the 2nd gear and have 20t and 23t for the pinion, would it be a good match? hope anyone can help out! also if i will be running a bigger track what gearing could i use? well thanks guys!
Old 07-02-2004, 11:37 AM   #2039
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Have fun setting your mesh if you do gear 7 teeth higher on one spur and 1 tooth lower on the other... That'll cause a pretty big split.
pimpedaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 11:47 AM   #2040
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

For smaller track, run taller spurs and smaller pinions. And vice versa for larger tracks.

I'm not sure, but I think the stock 1st pinion is 21t? I run at a large track with 21/46, 25/50.

When you change your gearing, just try to keep the spurs and pinions proportionate to eachother (no big splits)...
pimpedaccord is offline   Reply With Quote