R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-11-2004, 12:45 AM   #1846
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to rbboy Send a message via Yahoo to rbboy
Default Re: GPM Servo Saver

Quote:
Originally posted by ttektek
Anyone tried this one? I am interested cos the servo saver arm is alloy.

Any good?
Thanks

Sami

i was supposed to get those from GPM when i was in there store last week... my evo came with the aluminum sliding thing but not the servo saver! it would be a good buy if you had the plastic sliding thing come with your car! those are really tough... tough enough not to break but break youre servo in a bad crash, a point also to consider if you are using high torque servos that cost much!
Old 06-11-2004, 01:18 AM   #1847
Tech Fanatic

I've tried them both, the GPM and K-factory steering servo saver... You're better off with the stock ones... but, if you're looking to add some blue to your car and have that nice aftermarket look, then go with the K-factory Alum steering servo saver.. The GPM's may be one of the worst things they ever made... Didn't last one day at the track... You know, It's always wise to ask in the forums first... You can either spend your money wisely or waist your money on a bad purchase... Hope the tip helps...

RC_Alan
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 05:04 AM   #1848
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default alloy servo saver

I just received my package from overseas, and I had ordered the GPM allow saver set, I wanted it to get the alloy upper arm, because I had broken the plastic one already. I really dont want the lower peice since my EVO comes with the k fact one. I hope this works better.
I also ordered 3 racing two speed housings, which come with sealed bearings, but no lock nuts for the gears, as opposed to the k fact ones, they come with nuts, but no bearings,. I also got the new alloy frt layshaft mount from K fact, frt tower, rear trans brace with tensioner for rear belt, Ti suspension pins, Ti brake rotor, aluminumn chassis mounts, aluminum throttle saver mount. Lets see how all this stuff goes together later, I will keep ya all posted.!!
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

CHECK OUT GARCIA GRAPHIX ON FACEBOOK -LOOKING FOR 2017 TEAM DRIVER'S!
Raul Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 02:32 PM   #1849
Tech Apprentice

Default G4 Steering Problems...Again

Also posted at Team Magics site:
Dear Team Magic,
PLEASE HELP!!!!!
I have been having severe steering problems similar to everyone else. I have inserted pictures. I am using an Airtronics 94357 servo, which has one plastic gear inside.
The first problem I had came after running for a few minutes for the very first time. The plastic gear broke in my servo. I replaced the plastic gear and checked the servo saver settings. The screw stuck up past the nut about 1mm. I went out to run the main and about four minutes into it the servo gear broke again. I had to order more servo gears for the next week. I again replaced the gear but this time I loosened the servo saver to how it is in the picture (to where the screw is even with the nut). Not even two corners into the track the servo broke again and the car slid into the curb crushing my new pipe and breaking the arm on the servo saver. I have never put as much effort and time into building a car as I have the G4. Please help… my will is almost broken!!!
Thanks,
Justin
http://members.cox.net/omjlrogers/G4STEERING.jpg
http://members.cox.net/omjlrogers/G4PIPE.jpg

jlrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 05:15 PM   #1850
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to RCNUT
Default SERVO & RECEIVER POSITIONING

jr- You should be using a metal gear servo for the steering. Plastic geared servos are not good for steering on any car or truck.

I upgraded to the KO Propo Helios radio. Check out how small the receiver is. It fits perfect on the chassis without too much threat of damage in a crash. THe carbon plate serves as protection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg receiver1.jpg (32.0 KB, 113 views)
RCNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 05:16 PM   #1851
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to RCNUT
Default receiver

Here is another pic to show clearance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg receiver-2.jpg (20.7 KB, 115 views)
RCNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 05:32 PM   #1852
Tech Apprentice

Default Airtronics 94357

The servo I am using is a $120 metal gear servo. The plastic gear is there as a failsafe. I talked to airtronics and they said that if I replaced the plastic gear with a metal one there would be a possibility of damaging the motor. I ran this servo in my NTC3 for 2 years with no problems.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:04 PM   #1853
Regional Moderator

Maybe you should check your sliding rail mount setup.
They should be set properly for servo saver's smooth movement...
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 07:27 PM   #1854
Tech Fanatic

jlrogers... That piece will break during a crash or just to plan wear and tear... I see you're using the K-factory Alum servo saver... That's one is ok to use, but to get the Alum arm, you'll have to pick up the GPM steering servo saver... Don't use the GPM servo saver... I REPEAT... Don't use the GPM servo saver, just use there arm and you should have that area bullet proofed. All three servo savers will wear out over time and will bind... Stock, GPM's and K-factory... If I were you, I would just stock up on the plastic ones and wait til TM comes out with there steering update.... ... Your choice in steering servo is ok as all metal gear servo's have one plastic piece in there... Rob over at Airtronics is a nice guy will take good care of you... I've been there to Airtronics myself with my G4 as well... Can everyone see where this is going... I would always keep spare plastic gears for my steering servo... They all will blow out over time and just takes 5 mins to change them out... I really hope TM hurries up with there steering system update... Time will tell... I'm still standing behind my G4 even though I'm driving a different car at the moment... Hey, things do break and this is a hobby... True, but almost everyone with the car is having similar problems... Good luck jlrogers... Change out the plastic gear in your steering servo and get the GPM servo saver. Don't use the servo saver, just use the arm that comes with it and you'll be back in business..

RC_Alan
Old 06-11-2004, 08:32 PM   #1855
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default sttering issues' still.

TM where are you????????????? As you can see, JLrogers is the latest to suffer. How many more?? I love my car, and so do many other users, but there is only so much we can take.

JLrogers, I too have suffered the same fate that you have, as RC Alan had described, I done the same. Ordere the GPM alloy saver set from RCMART.COM, and only use the upper piece. You should be good to go from there for that part. As for the Airtonic servo, the plastic gear in the 737 servo stinks.!!! I would also recommend a high end metal geared servo. I personally have two Futaba 9550 servos, they are truely awesome.

RCnut, you will definetley like the Helios.! Race at Middlebury CT, check out Nercar.com for info. Hope to see you there.
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

CHECK OUT GARCIA GRAPHIX ON FACEBOOK -LOOKING FOR 2017 TEAM DRIVER'S!
Raul Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 08:48 PM   #1856
Regional Moderator

I'm just curious if you guys had setup the servo rail properly?
Because in here, we've had almost none for the steering bind issue.
Most of them are using the high end servo such as Sanwa WRX, VX, etc...

Old 06-11-2004, 09:24 PM   #1857
Tech Apprentice

My steering slides are extremely smooth, no binding at all. I literally took two months to build the car. I polished every pin and pivot ball in the kit. The slides are perfect. I did notice that the clearance between the ball cup on the servo and the bulkhead was close (about 1mm) but I did not think enough to hinder the steering. I will attach a picture.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:02 AM   #1858
Tech Fanatic

daniz24... I see you're somewhat new to the G4 thread. I would hate to say go back and read every post here.... Let me just repeat that TEAM MAGIC has already said that they are aware of the defect in the steering system.... Trinity, the former US Dist. of the car was also aware of the problem along with a few other things, drop the car and is no longer the United States Dist. of the car... These things have been posted and repeated over and over again.. Other poster from different locations around the world have have also said the same thing about the binding due to metal to metal contact with the servo saver and rails... To the breaking of the servo saver arm that jlrogers has just posted the picture of. Funny thing, many have had that problem and did a work around using the GPM servo saver arm to correct that issue. I've had my G4 for almost a year now... Many can't say that... Alot of the guys that use to post here gave up on the car due to defects in design of the steering system... We're not posting this stuff just to read our posts... Team Magic already and I repeat, already has acknowledge that there is a problem in it's design and are working on a complete fix and change in design.. Simular to what the Mugen has... People, I'm not blasting the car nor TM... Please read the entry thread to catch up if you need to... I would like to move forward and see the G4 be the car that it can be... That's up to TM... No one hear has ever flamed TM nor the G4... The car is super except for it's design flaw in the steering system. Great idea that needed alot more R&D... See what Yokomo is doing with there new GT6??? They're taking there time to work out all the bugs... The 1/10 scale nitro sedan market is to important to bring a car to market with flaws and design issues... I tip my hat to Yokomo for doing the right thing. I'll also tip my hat if TM does the right thing as well.. Again, I and no one before is knocking the car, just the design defect in it's steering system. It's not that the car was assemble the wrong way either... So don't go there, that's was brought up before and was shot down... Every car has it's pros and cons, that a given... Those issues can be worked around and corrected. A true design flaw can't until the Manufacture of the car corrects it... They already have said that they are aware of it and are going to completely redesign the set up... I hope everything is much clearer now for those that don't have the time to read every post here in this thread... Not flaming anyone, just alittle tired of going around and around on this because either 1. they don't have the car... 2. just got the car and don't see the problems yet or.... 3. don't believe what earlier posters have posted, what Trinity & TM has said that there is a design flaw...

RC_Alan

Last edited by rc_alan; 06-12-2004 at 03:07 AM.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:19 AM   #1859
Regional Moderator

Hi,

Are you saying that if someone rarely post a reply in this thread it also means that he's not/never reading it? Please take a look at your first post in G4 thread, you're asking some questions to my friend (Pyramid) isn't it true?

I already have this car when you finish to built it for the first time and then went into this thread... If you notice, please search your first post in this thread and hit "next page"... and Voila !!!! I'm also there... I'm not sure, but I think I'm the first one who post the G4 Evo pictures in here also... Hmmm.....

In fact, for your information me and Pyramid are distributing G4 in Indonesia. And also, I already built at least 15-20 G4 kits (some are fully hopped up) for me and my customers. Until now, almost no one are having steering bind issue... That's why I'm curious.

I have read (but never seen) many G4 users are having this problem. I'm also know that TM are making other steering system(They still said that they make another steering system just for choice to their customer, not to fix the old system) But, I believe the main reason why G4 handles very good out of the box is because this "true ackerman" system.

If Pyramid still here, maybe he could answer and post some of his experience if he or any his customer still having this steering problem now. But Pyramid are busy with his new toys "S710" now...

Greetings from Indonesia for all G4 drivers...

Last edited by daniz24; 06-12-2004 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:33 AM   #1860
Tech Fanatic

Pyramid I know and have chated about the car awhile back with him... I believe he to had problems with the steering system of the car or other issues... Hey, I could be wrong... So many have posted about steering system issues... I dought anyone now selling/dist. the G4 will now knock the car.... You I don't know and I don't really care if you did post the first Evo pics here... I'm not trying to be negitive to you in anyway and was not trying to flame you in my last post. I'm just posting the facts. You just posted that you read (but not seen) many G4 users having this problem. I to am not everywhere and can't see everyone's car... I can only go by what has happen to me and others posting here and other forum sites here and internationly. I know people right now in the US. that are distributing/selling the G4 that ask me questions about the car all the time becasue I know more about the car then they do... Nick Ko, TM's sell rep. has already posted that Team Magic is aware of the problem... Again, TM is aware of the problem... Trinity was aware of the problem as well... One of the largest RC dist. in the world... Funny thing, I can remember when TM said that there fuel tanks were ok because there were not broken even though they were only 69cc... Finally, they and K-factory release the corrected size tank, but not until many end users lost races and flamed out due to this issue... Go ask ex Trinity driver Josh Cyrul what's his feeling about the prior fuel tank... I'm happy TM addressed that problem and corrected it... I to didn't start posting here when I first got my car... I found out about the forums through word of mouth, by then I already had two G4's... Funny thing, I can remember when Pyramid was going to change cars... I'm driving the Mugen MTX3 now even though I still have the G4. I've talk to and run against factory team drivers and employees from Yokomo, Team Associated, Mugen and HPI here in the US all the time due to me being near Revelation and Crystal park RC race ways.. I know that mean's nothing to you, but I see no one with the G4 out here in the West Coast except for maybe 4-5 drivers.... Total. They ask me about the car and have told me things they've seen with the G4 during races as well... All steering... Again, I'm not here to flame the G4... I've always been here to help anyone with questions and issue that can be corrected... Since I'm not factory back by TM, I don't have 1000 parts to just grab from my tool box. I guess everyone should have to have at least 10-20 steering servo saver on hand and change them out just prior to each race to prevent steering system failure... If the car was enigineered correctly, you shouldn't have to do this... You should go ask Pyramid what he really thinks about the car... He's driving the S710 isn't he?? Like I've said for the 1000th time, I love the car and it's super durable and easy to set up... What makes it so easy to drive is also it's flaw... True Ackerman... The Mugen has the best Ackerman possiblities of any 1/10 nitro car on the market today... The steering rail system on the G4 makes every thing feel super smooth, true, but again here we go... There is a percentage of G4 owner that are having steering system failure... Here in the US. if that many car owners of let's say Ford or BMW had something like this happening, there would be a national recall... I don't see nor never had any other RC car with this problem myself nor posted by others in chat forums... If your car is perfect.. Great... Many G4 owners are not so lucky...

RC_Alan

Last edited by rc_alan; 06-12-2004 at 06:29 PM.