R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Vintage Can-Am bodies for 1/8? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/180414-vintage-can-am-bodies-1-8-a.html)

Vic Rattlehead 09-07-2007 07:55 PM

Vintage Can-Am bodies for 1/8?

Hello everybody...
Been "lurking" for a little while, and finally decided that I had something to post about.

I have always thought the late 60's/early 70's Can-Am cars were/are some of the most awesome cars ever made, and would love to have a McClaren M8F or M20, or maybe a Porsche 917 (any variant) or Lola T70, etc. etc...

Are there any manufacturers out there making such bodies for 1/8 scale on-road?

Obviously I'm not talking about competition...I have a 950R that I like to mess around with from time to time.

Thanks,
Tom

stefan 09-08-2007 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead (Post 3651813)
Hello everybody...
Been "lurking" for a little while, and finally decided that I had something to post about.

I have always thought the late 60's/early 70's Can-Am cars were/are some of the most awesome cars ever made, and would love to have a McClaren M8F or M20, or maybe a Porsche 917 (any variant) or Lola T70, etc. etc...

Obviously I'm not talking about competition...I have a 950R that I like to mess around with from time to time.

Thanks,
Tom

Uuumh, all of thecurrent 8th scale bodies are based on CanAm bodies from the 70's, aren't they?

Taylorm 09-08-2007 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead (Post 3651813)
Hello everybody...

Thanks,
Tom

......i also love the old Porsche 917s........i bought an old Associated RC200 off ebay and would love to have a 917 body for it......Dale, how's about a vintage series.........:nod:.or am i going to have to mold my own......:cry:

Vic Rattlehead 09-08-2007 01:14 PM

Yeah, some of the current bodies are loosely based on Can-Am cars, but I'm talkin' about a close to scale M8 or M20, or maybe a Chaparral or 917 (like maybe the 1970 Gulf Porsche's in the movie "LeMans" for example) or Ferrari's, Alfa's, etc.

I wonder what kind of a market there might be for them?

If you tried to make them competititive, they would most likely loose their scale appearance? Is there a "Vintage" race series?

I have the Protoform Shadow, and it's really cool...and a couple of different Lolas...but I have noticed a lack of variety. (not complaining, just curious as to whether anyone else is interested like Taylorm and I?)

There is a bit of a resurgence (if you could call it that) with a group of older guys (in 1/24 slot car racing) that are re-producing a lot of the vintage stuff from the 60's and 70's...like the semi-scale cars just before "wing cars"...and those bodies are really cool.:D (a bit before my time though)

lotus1 09-10-2007 05:56 AM

I'll add my name to the list.Would also like to see them in other scales too.The Tamiya 103GT is perfect for this type of body.AAHH...A field of 70's vintage Can Ams...Would be cool.

Rick Davis 09-10-2007 06:39 AM

You guys have just missed the boat on timing - over the years there have been bunches of Can-Am bodies by multiple makers, certainly wish I'd kept some more examples, when I started there was a local company (McKenna??) making a fiberglass M-8 that used as a sales tool the fact that you could stand on it and not damage it. Also there was someone in Ft wayne (Palmer??) making butyrate bodies who had Lola T-70 and McLaren M-6 and even a March 707 (the one with the wing out front) Dick Dobson from Rockford did lexan and we ran his BRM for years, Parma bought out his line don't know if the molds still exist, Parma even had a Lola 332 (with large air box and an early Shadow and a Porsche 917-10K, my first scratchbuilt used an Associated Ti-22 and they had McLaren M-8 (think there's one on a Dynamic car I have in storage) and later an M-20 and of course the Porsche 30KL which was "the" body to run for years followed by the Elfin which took over as the predominate body for a long time.

nitrodude 09-10-2007 07:12 AM

The problem is that in RC the bodies dont handle very good when made to resemble the rear cars closely, so they have to be made to look somewhat like the real thing. I love 917s myself, but I dont think it would handle that well. Plus when you add the fact that the RC versions have to have that hugh sloping wing in the back, you loose a lot of the comsetics.

lotus1 09-10-2007 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by nitrodude (Post 3657833)
The problem is that in RC the bodies dont handle very good when made to resemble the rear cars closely, so they have to be made to look somewhat like the real thing. I love 917s myself, but I dont think it would handle that well. Plus when you add the fact that the RC versions have to have that hugh sloping wing in the back, you loose a lot of the comsetics.

Quite true.:nod:But..I think some of us would be willing to work with the limitations and/or just run with them as is for the scale appearance.I think any body can be tuned into a track/chassis to a certain extent.Part of the fun of it I would imagine.Would love to have an old McClaren M6 or M8 or Lola T70 or Chapparal(any).Mario.

bandi 09-10-2007 08:23 AM

Hello everybody

this link could be interesting for those searching vintage 1/8 bodies.... still in production
http://www.deltaplastik.it/index.php...at2=11&cat3=16

hope this is useful:)

Vic Rattlehead 09-12-2007 12:53 AM

Thanks for the replies guys...:cool:

I wonder if Chicky would know if Parma had any "vintage" bodies kicking around?

bandi: I didn't know Delta was still in business... thanks :nod:

bakaguyjean 09-12-2007 03:26 AM

The Delta linkis awesome. I have also wanted more scale bodies as i like cars that look like real cars at least a little.
I tried a Greenwood Corvette body form Jerobee on my Spada and it was really bad but if i slap a clear wing on it it might not look bda and also hopefully not spin out all the time.
Again thanks for the Delta link

quickie 09-12-2007 06:57 PM

Bodies

Rick, I had one of the McKenna bodies for years and found a guy in the midwest that wanted it. It looked like a McLaren M6 to me.
I still have a MRP Frisbee and Spider around here some place.

nitrodude 09-12-2007 09:22 PM

If the bodies have not been cut, you can make back molds with plaster of paris, I've done it before. Then you just need someone to vacuum form them.

aarcobra 09-19-2007 09:38 AM

Hey Rick

Rick,
Ned Schmaltz here in sunny South Carolina! Hope things are well with you! I remember those bodies too and miss the more scale ones we used to run. Didn't you and Tom McGarry have a lot to do with the F5000 Lola? I think I remember it showing up when we raced on at IMS in 1978? I was running the March with the wide nose, First National City/Penske.

Think about the old Toledo and Detroit Clubs and the Midwest Series often and run TC and paved oval at a great facility in Easley, SC, Carolina RC Complex.

Later,
Ned