R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-11-2007, 08:25 PM   #376
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
http://www.rc-junkies.net/modules/se...rticle&artid=2 ..........i can't believe how many guys are not using DSM???.....i would've thought ALL the big dogs would be running it.......shows what i know.....
I don't see ANY DSM listed, could it be they are just listing transmitter brand, might be running a Spektrum or Fasst module??
Ffejdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:33 PM   #377
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I heard that they are having problems with the DSM system, that's why not a lot of them are using it.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #378
Tech Addict

I know at my track a lot of guys are having glitching problems with the DSM, so not surprised to see the pro's staying away from it.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:52 PM   #379
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am not suprized that a lot of people are not using 2.4 GHz frequency. It will be last thing I will personaly use. 75 MHz is really high enough.
But I will suggest to everybody else use it-more open channels will be for us-
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:27 PM   #380
Tech Master

Why isn't this thread a "sticky" or "important"? I mean, it's only the Worlds!

MINO Racing
JetMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #381
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelico View Post
I know at my track a lot of guys are having glitching problems with the DSM, so not surprised to see the pro's staying away from it.
We have seen a few guys have mishaps causing damage well into the hundreds of $$$... Some escaping with only minor damage but never the less still having problems. On the other hand some of us using the DSM 2.4 Spektrum system have not really suffered (knock on driver-stand wood) so far. I wish things would have worked out with the system experiencing problems with my driver has really opened me up to the headaches that glitching can cause. Having traveled half way across the globe to have things not work right really is a P>I>T>A...

"Failure Is Not An Option"
kcrunchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:32 AM   #382
Tech Apprentice

DSM and FASST are using more power from the reciverpackes... so if you run a 1h Final and there is a personal Transponder and digitalservos in your car power goes of after 45minutes with DSM or FASST... And no one is using the lipos because of the car balance.....
Nitro-mechanic-bitch of E.D. and R.V.
H4gI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:00 AM   #383
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4gI View Post
DSM and FASST are using more power from the reciverpackes... so if you run a 1h Final and there is a personal Transponder and digitalservos in your car power goes of after 45minutes with DSM or FASST... And no one is using the lipos because of the car balance.....
DSM uses more power but saying the power goes off is just plain wrong unless they are using a very small battery or the battery is too old. I have run a few one hour mains with a personal transponder and 2 digital servos using an 1100mah battery and never had it go dead.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:28 AM   #384
Tech Regular

DSM is using 75 different channels, and there are more drivers at the event.
When all should use DSM's than there would be a lot of problems since you cannot choose which channel to use. So the advantage of a DSM system is not there on a really big event!
Old 10-12-2007, 02:18 AM   #385
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_Banaan View Post
When all should use DSM's than there would be a lot of problems since you cannot choose which channel to use. So the advantage of a DSM system is not there on a really big event!

Well actually it's 79 channels. And regardless, the DSM systems have a sort of "collision avoidance” technology so it can't interfere with anything else on that frequency. So if you did turn on your radio it would keep searching for a channel not in use. And for all 79 channels to be used at the exact same time would be pretty doubtful. And even if it did, it wouldn't lock on one in use. Plus how can you say that 79 channels has no advantage at a large event? I can't see more then even 50 people having their radio on at one given time. What is the alternative? 35 FM channels (for US drivers anyway).
I would agree that the FM signal is still a bit more reliable then the 2.4 systems.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:56 AM   #386
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_Banaan View Post
Did you forget that not all 79 channels are being used at the same time. 20 drivers on the stand during practice still leaves 59 channels open.
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:58 AM   #387
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via MSN to Pooh2

DSM responds slower than cyrstals. Tried DSM and I myself, don't like it.

"Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going"?
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:50 AM   #388
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh2 View Post
DSM responds slower than cyrstals. Tried DSM and I myself, don't like it.
My Airtronics DSSS 2.4ghz system is just as fast as crystals.

I've also noticed that a lot of top drivers don't trust any 2.4ghz systems yet. More of a reliability thing verse speed. They also seem to all feel more comfortable with the analog servos too.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:54 AM   #389
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

AGAIN! This sux.

From redrc:

"More rain on Friday morning

Yet another day beginning with rain, the weather was dry earlier in the morning, but a heavy shower around 7.30am soaked the track again and now with the sun out the organisers are working quickly to dry the track so that racing can resume, but the likelihood that round 6 of qualifying will be run is looking increasingly unlikely. The more likely scenario is that the organisers will go straight into the lower finals when the track dries, but we will wait for confirmation of this. If this does happen, then its Massimo Fantini, racing a Serpent 960, that has claimed the TQ spot for this years World Championships ahead of Collari, Bertin and Tosolini."
Old 10-12-2007, 07:44 AM   #390
Tech Fanatic

DSM has been berry berry goot to mi!

My Helios has a SPEKTRUM DSM PRO with a MICRO RX and it matches the speed of the Helios's module and reciever. The only time I've had a glitch is when the battery pack needed charging.

If your glitching? Start with your battery pack. If the wires are frayed or it doesn't peak as usual, change it. Check all the connections on it and re-do them if neccessary, then use shrink rap to keep them together should you crash. In my experience a good battery pack will stay that way as long as the connections are true.

I'm placing emphasis on the battery pack because of my own and my close friend's experiences.

Say your full throttle on the straight and your car suddenly steers one way or the other then gets back in your control.

This is caused by LOOSE OR BROKEN BATTERY BARS on your pack.
My buddy Bert bought a pack from a local hobby shop in Brooklyn, NY that was put together using braided laces or string coated with solder. This becomes brittle once the solder goes onto the string and when it cracks or comes loose you have and instant on-off switch causing glitching. When it completely breaks off a connection? Bye bye car...

His just fractured and would intermitanly loose contact whenever he was full throttle due to the vibration. He thought it was the reciever and replaced it... Still glitched so he replaced the servos... Still glitched... $300+ later, I gave him a 2500mah battery pack I put together using thin but solid battery straps and no more glitching. That was in '06, and he's still using the same pack without incident.

Moral of the story is, star the process of elimination at the battery pack.
Don't be afraid to take it apart and re-solder it with the best wiring and battery straps available. Make sure you shrink wrap the pack as well.

Hope ths helps

HAPPY RACING!!!