R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-13-2003, 01:48 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Jason:

Please, the next time you dissasemble your engine, please, search the stamped numbers on the crank (are on the side of the counterweight), write down and see if your crank is one of the 'newer models'.

Saw two different 'new models'. One came with a small hole on the other side of the crank intake window and others came without hole. The main and shocking difference is that the new cranks come with a little metal ramp on the crank intake, so no more need of searching an epoxy that withstands methanol, nitro and high temps.

If your crank has those 'two features' much probably will be marked with 03/03 or 04/03. Write down the lot number (came in the box).
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 01:56 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Here is the 'famous' hole on the opposite side of the crank intake window. Was did to promote lubrication to the bearings and avoid crank scuffing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00297.jpg (63.4 KB, 93 views)
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 08:38 PM   #18
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Corse-R
Jason:

Please, the next time you dissasemble your engine, please, search the stamped numbers on the crank (are on the side of the counterweight), write down and see if your crank is one of the 'newer models'.

Saw two different 'new models'. One came with a small hole on the other side of the crank intake window and others came without hole. The main and shocking difference is that the new cranks come with a little metal ramp on the crank intake, so no more need of searching an epoxy that withstands methanol, nitro and high temps.

If your crank has those 'two features' much probably will be marked with 03/03 or 04/03. Write down the lot number (came in the box).
I checked a friend's JP S5 engine and indeed it had this tiny hole on the other side of the crank intake window somewhere towards the 11 x 21 x 5 main bearing. I believe this is for lubrication purposes as the hole is positioned just after the main bearing. But somehow, I think that this induces more leaking of oil through the front bearing.

However it doesn't have the metal ramp on the crank intake. Just the same red epoxy that JP uses. I can't remember the first 2 digits but I was sure that the last two digits were 02. I think the first 2 digits indicate the week and the last 2 digits are the year when the crank was made.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote