R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-03-2007, 07:56 AM   #16
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismx123 View Post
Hi,

Um I've made up my mind to purchase a HPI RS4 3 18ss.

I have a few questions about starting.
-I need a glow plug and gas right?
-How do you use the glow plug? Do you have to heat it or what?
-How long must the glow plug be in till you try to start the engine?
-Must you have the reciever and remote on before starting the car? In electrics if you left it off the car would shoot off uncontrolably.

luismx123
The glow plug is always in the engine otherwise it won't work. You need Ni-starter or glow starter to start the engine. You put fuel, connect the glow starter to the glow plug and start the engine.
You can left the glow starter in for a 2 or 3s or till the engine stabilizes.
More you left the glow starter in, more chances you have to blow the glow plug.
You don't need to have the eletirc part on to start the engine, but you will need it to run the car.
Ramiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:19 AM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to m0thertruckah1

u need the igniter for the plug,nitro,and batts for rx and tx..turn radio rx/tx first before u start the engine its always safe ..if u shut off the radio while the engine is running?say goodbye to ur car coz youll have a run away car hehehe..basically all the stuff uneed will be on the manual and all the instructions..you do know that the 18ss doesnt have radio tx and rx right?and youre goin to build it too..my first rc was nitro and i never dealt with electric also,my rc knowledge was (0) but ive learned how to do it ..goodluck on your build and maybe u can post some pix too while your building..
o btw when ur kit comes in put some after run oil on the engine ,that would serve as lubricant makes it easy to start on breakin..
m0thertruckah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:50 PM   #18
Tech Apprentice

Slightly off topic but if you want to run races in europe you dont wanna buy a hpi. Try a serpent 720 / kyosho rrr wc / mugen mtx 4 / team magic g4s with a .12 engine instead with a startbox (easy starting)

Oh yeah not the cheapest cars to start with but once you have smelled the nitro fumes you wont be a electroboy anymore.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Hey,

If anyone would like to take a look at and advise me on what car to buy on web site of a local store that sells RC cars and so on, please visit www.conrad.com, then click international, then look for modelling-model cars aeroplanes and ships- model car construction- combustion engine models- 1:10th on road.

There is a list of cars ranging from Tamiya, Kyosho, Ansmann, and HPI. I'm looking for a car in the 400 euro range. The best I see is the HPI RS4 3 18SS which is $399. I already have a remote and 1 servo(need to buy 1 more) so getting a car without the electronics would be fine.

I have a few questions about bashing on the roads.
-Is it illegal in Austria or anwhere else?(becuase of the sound)
-Approx. how loud is a nitro car?(lawn mower)
-Any way to buy accessories that make a nitro car quiter?

luismx123
luismx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:50 PM   #20
Tech Addict

the best thing with nitro cars is the sound so i dont think theres a part where u can silenced it or maybe reduce a bit of the sound..u can go to parks or maybe parking lots after store hours or office hours..i would go with hpi u cant go wrong with it..
Old 09-04-2007, 08:55 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Default Crash Course

See if they’re doing any “Rally Game” racing where you’re going.

If they do race that class, the Kyosho Inferno GT is in the price range you’re talking about. The “Rally” cars can race just about anywhere on any surface. They’re big, bad, fast and strong.

You can crash them all day long and they hardly even care. They come with .28 engines and run on rubber tires too. You simply can't beat the looks, performance and value of this exciting new machine.

Check out the video
http://kyoshoamerica.com/videos/2007S_INFERNO_GT.wmv
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:13 AM   #22
Tech Addict

just like what i have..

Old 09-04-2007, 12:39 PM   #23
Tech Apprentice

Hey,

Anyone has any idea if the Kyosho 1:10 GP 4WD V-ONE SIII is any good?

The is a store that sells it for 370 euros which is cheaper than the HPI RS4 3 18SS and it says it does 90+km/h.

If anyone has or knows of them please post, and tell me what parts brake with alot. I saw that its a belt driven one so I would think that thats a piece that could brake easily. Correct me if I'm wrong.

luismx123
Old 09-04-2007, 01:33 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismx123 View Post
Hey,

Anyone has any idea if the Kyosho 1:10 GP 4WD V-ONE SIII is any good?

The is a store that sells it for 370 euros which is cheaper than the HPI RS4 3 18SS and it says it does 90+km/h.

If anyone has or knows of them please post, and tell me what parts brake with alot. I saw that its a belt driven one so I would think that thats a piece that could brake easily. Correct me if I'm wrong.

luismx123
It's a good car, but it has the same engine that FW05T does, the GRX15. Will go around 70km/h, 90 never! Only if mod it, but I believe it's difficult to go that fast
Ramiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:17 PM   #25
Tech Apprentice

Let me try to help you since you are a young eager dude trying to jump into a crazy nitro world.

For starters you need to decide for yourself how much time to devote to the hobby as there are some aspects that need to be defined. That is, if you want to be a racer or a basher/racer.

Serious Racer

You need to look into the following KITS (Kyosho V1 rrr Evo, Serpent 720, Mugent MTX3, or Xray NT1)

The KITS alone will run you about $400.00 bucks.
They need Glow igniter (To spark the glow plug) $30.00
Starter Box $50.00 to 100.00
Engines $200.00 to $400.00
Radio equipment $200.0 to $350.00
Bodies $30.00 each body
Tires $15 pair that get you probably one race or two depending.
Gas $25 to $30 depending on nitro percentage

Then you have to worry about Entry fees, getting to the track for practice runs, pit man and tools like tire truers, battery chargers, set up boards.

Basher/Sportsman Racer

Your KIT will have to be a Ready To Run package. Some of those are HPI, Associated NTC3, Kyosho Inferno (1/8th scale).

RTR packages $300 - $450.

The benefit for RTR packages is that most of them come with engine and radios.
The downside to this is that you may get locked into a car that only takes certain engine types (Pull starts, Side Exhausts, Outlaw .15 engines, etc)
These kits also have low tunability points where the set up is pretty static, making it hard to race in certain tracks.

You will still need tools, gas and tires as above.

For either car you need to have certain skills like:

Breaking in engines, tune engines to the weather.
For racing, you need to know how to tune the suspension, and tune centex clutch engagements.

So not to discourage you but before you do anything read up like crazy.
Then decide what your personal goal is.

A few things to think about. How good are you with being a mechanic and how much money you can get from your folks. Then look into if your new town hosts races or has clubs. I know Europe is big in RC but not every country has the privilige.

Go to HIPracing.com, KyoshoAmerica.com or serpent.com to read up on the various kits and on basic nitro, because is really hard to give you all the details on this one forum. So look into reading for the next few weeks or so as a start.

Good luck buddy.
SasonRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:13 PM   #26
Tech Apprentice

Hi SasonRC,

I understand what your getting at.

Let me put a few points down:
Right now I'm only looking into bashing with my buddys but later on I'm thinking of getting into club racing and maybe international events.
Luckily I work for about 500 Euro a month which is alot for what I do, so money for the car/kit isn't realy a prob. Ofcourse I don't want to spend $400 on a car without an engine so I'll go for cheaper kits like the Kyosho 4WD V-ONE SIII and the HPI RS4 3 18SS, which my LHS support.
I've spent countless hours researching nitro cars and the stps involved in getting the best working car possible. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with nitro cars so I'll need to build up on that once I purchase my car. As I said, I'm coming out of electric cars so I will use my old transmitter and reciever.
I own a TT01 which was an electric kit which I had fun building so I'll tak the nitro kit as a challenge. I'm prety good with engines(work as a sailing instructor which needs engines, and I own my own 25HP outboard engine), so I know everything about the weather adjustments and so on.
As far as pit crew is concerned when I do eventualy race in high standard compititions, I have 2 brothers who are willing to help me. As far as practice goes, I was thinking of bashing around till I get the feel for faster cars and then going to a club. I'm going to move to Graz, Austria, and there is a pretty good race track called MORAC Graz, which has hosted Kyosho world cups and HPI events. I will apply for membership and practice regularly if I intend on becoming a serious racer later on.

I would like to get a Kyosho V-ONE RRR Evo or a Mugen MT4/MTX3 but Its costly and my LHS don't support them very well.

I' moving to Graz in early January so until then I wil be researching the area and shops around.

If you could advise me on cheaper but still good cars please do so as I have time to check them out.

luismx123
Old 09-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #27
Tech Addict

just get the one that your lhs supports make it easier for u..the kyosho fw and the hpi 18ss are both good cars..

once u get the hang of tuning an engine youre all set.you dont need to worry about anything yet..just get the kit build it then break it in..if its an rtr just break it in and then tune it..a lot of people here in the forum will help you thru it..
Old 09-04-2007, 05:55 PM   #28

if you are just bashing around to start with I think to stick to a shaft drive as small stones an grit can destroy belts .
Straybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:14 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Default Nitro Crash Course

Dude,

With all you’ve said, this is a “no-brainer”, get the Kyosho Inferno GT.
It’s a big, fast, powerful RTR that can run on anything.

It’s based on the World Champion Off Road Buggy Chassis. It will last longer on the street than any of the cars mentioned here and take just about any abuse you can throw at them without breaking into a gazillion fragments of plastic.

All the hi-end race belt-driven cars are fantastic on a super clean track, but they will cause you nothing but grief on the streets and in parking lots.

If you want to be a “serious” racer changing belts every hour of use and truing (cutting down foam tires) and spending $2-3 thousand dollars a year, then go for it.

If you want to have a lot of fun with friends for $400 dollars with a shaft driven street racer, do yourself a favor, take a good hard look at the Kyosho Inferno GT RTR cars. You’ll be glad you did.
Attached Thumbnails
Nitro crash course!-1.jpg   Nitro crash course!-2.jpg   Nitro crash course!-3.jpg  
Old 09-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Default Nitro

Do these people look happy?
Attached Thumbnails
Nitro crash course!-onroad_mayhem_ii_001.jpg   Nitro crash course!-onroad_mayhem_ii_002.jpg   Nitro crash course!-onroad_mayhem_ii_003.jpg