R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-09-2003, 07:37 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Clutch Engages immediatly - NTC3

Hey everyone..

I just put together my NTC3 and am trying to brake in the engine. At IDLE, the clutch engages. the IDLE screw is set to about .5 - .6 mm like the manufacture recommends. In order to stop the wheels from spinning, I have to brake. The engine doesn't seem to be reving too high.

Could this be a tuning issue or is there somthing on the clutch that can be adjusted? If I close the IDLE any more, the car will stall so I think it might have something to do with the clutch that is shipped with the kit. Could I possibly need a stiffer spring or smaller clutch shoes?

Any suggestions you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

My setup....

NTC3
RB concepts X-12 210
RD Logics One-Piece
JR XS3
nitrocannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 08:07 PM   #2
Tech Adept

i would say try adjusting your idle and see what happens, and nice set up with the engine, radio and pipe.
buggyman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 11:09 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

Thanks Buggy, I've tried setting the IDLE down until the car stalls with no success. The clutch still engages immediatly. I think this car is going to rock once I get this little issue out of the way. I have only had it about half throttle with the needles set very rich and it already seems like a rocket!!!

Any more suggestions? Is the clutch that comes with the kit any good or should I upgrade to the K-factory clutch set anyway?
Old 05-10-2003, 01:26 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

you shouldnt need to upgrade.
I have both, and I do really like the Kfactory one, but its a pain to get going if you dont really know what you are doing....this was my case, but I got it under wraps now.

just do a simple inspection of your car, pull the motor, and see if the clutch is assembled right, maybe the clutch springs are not on the right way?
Occams razor....the simplest answer is most likely the correct one.

Plus it seems hard to get Kfactory stuff now, so I would suggest sticking with the stock set up, cheaper and gets the job done.
Old 05-10-2003, 03:00 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Aeon Racer

I would first make sure that your throttle servo is set correctly so that the carb isn't opening when your servo is set at "idle". That would be the place I look first, I highly doubt its a setup problem with your clutch (the only thing that matters how quickly it engages are the engine rpm's and the springs holding the shoes down). It MIGHT be your springs, but I can't see how two/three of them would be bad...
Aeon Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 05:36 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Thanks Guys! I know the problem isn't the Idle. It's set to about .5 mm. I think the most likely problem is springs. I'm going to take your advice Fastburn and check out the shoes/springs once again and make sure I didn't put them on wrong.

In the mean-time, I wen't to my LHS today and they had the Kfactory in stock so I just bought it. I was planning on upgrading anyway. I wan't to find out the what the problem is before I put the Kfactory in though.

Any hints on installing the Kfactory? Is it pretty straight-forward?

NC
Old 05-11-2003, 04:34 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Fastburn
you shouldnt need to upgrade.
I have both, and I do really like the Kfactory one, but its a pain to get going if you dont really know what you are doing....this was my case, but I got it under wraps now.

just do a simple inspection of your car, pull the motor, and see if the clutch is assembled right, maybe the clutch springs are not on the right way?
Occams razor....the simplest answer is most likely the correct one.

Plus it seems hard to get Kfactory stuff now, so I would suggest sticking with the stock set up, cheaper and gets the job done.
we have everything you need from k-factory in stock

3Racing-Ride-BRP-Team Orion-XRAY-HUDY-Serpent-Kyosho-Lrp-Speed Passion-MR33-JG-and many more
border r/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 04:59 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
we have everything you need from k-factory in stock
Cool, now you need to get a shop over in canada so shipping isnt an arm and a leg
Old 05-11-2003, 09:56 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

What a drag!! I get my K-factory kit home and it's missing parts. The fly wheel is missing the tree pins and the other end of the housing is not there. Hopefully they have another clutch kit in...