Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 10:19 AM
Tech Adept

2 questions

they dont really related to eachother, but on 56k killing 2 birds with one stone is the best way

1. i need a good and cheap throttle servo, something thats not gonna blow my wallet but is powerful enough to lock the brakes on my tc3 at almost full speed

2. whats the rtv that you use to seal air leaks? im not sure if i have some but im thinking i have one so i wanna put a little around the carb to make sure
Old 05-10-2003, 10:50 AM
Tech Addict

1) For a nitro sedan you don't need much to lock up the brakes. I use stock servos but upgraded with bearings because they are cheap and half the weight.

2) You want o2 sensor safe RTV. I use Permatex Blue RTV and so do many others. There is an orange colored stuff that is o2 sensor safe that woks well too.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

no, i NEED a new servo, i have the stock thing from my rtr tc3 and a pixi, my brakes are based on coast and avoid, a new servo is a must because i cant slow quickly at all.(pads are brand new)
Old 05-10-2003, 11:39 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by AndrewtheRCman
no, i NEED a new servo, i have the stock thing from my rtr tc3 and a pixi, my brakes are based on coast and avoid, a new servo is a must because i cant slow quickly at all.(pads are brand new)
I use an old HS-605bb servo for my throttle. It's not a slow servo, but it's not an expensive servo either. I think they are $25-30 new.
Old 05-10-2003, 11:47 AM
Tech Adept

how is your braking with this servo?? condering my lhs is probably gonna make me pay 40-50 bucks(they are outrageous on prices)

though i like the sound of it
Old 05-10-2003, 11:52 AM
RCTech Member #2

Originally posted by AndrewtheRCman
how is your braking with this servo?? condering my lhs is probably gonna make me pay 40-50 bucks(they are outrageous on prices)

though i like the sound of it
With the MTX-3, it locks up, but i am also using the stock pads, and they need to be sanded down a little more.

My RS4 also braked well, but if you can not lock up the car with a standard servo, then there is probably something else wrong too..

Have you put more fuel tubing on the linkage between the brake arm and the servo? ( not sure exactly how ae has the linkage setup) or put more tension onto the fuel tubing? or spring if thats what ae uses...
Old 05-10-2003, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

well, I know some people have had some luck with Hitec stuff, but I never have. Ive owned a few of them, and their Lynx 3d radio but was never happy with the quality of their stuff.
Id say try to pick one up off the sell/trade forum. If you have a budget, im sure there is the right servo there for you, you just have to look.
Now, I believe in supporting your LHS, but if they price gouge on everything, forget about it, go elsewhere.

as for engine sealer, I use the permatex ultra copper. its o2 safe and has a temp threshhold of 700F.

I run an Airtronics 94738 for my throttle servo, its the slowest and weakest servo I own, but it is a great servo for the power end of the NTC3.

I try to look for a servo that has between .15 and .17 for throttle @6V. So far seems to work ok

but as for my steering, I have a few servos that are .06 - .09
Old 05-10-2003, 12:35 PM
RCTech Member #2

Originally posted by Fastburn
well, I know some people have had some luck with Hitec stuff, but I never have. Ive owned a few of them, and their Lynx 3d radio but was never happy with the quality of their stuff.
Id say try to pick one up off the sell/trade forum. If you have a budget, im sure there is the right servo there for you, you just have to look.
I have 2 HS-303's laying around somewhere, 3 HS-605bb's (steering and throttle in my old RS4, and I brought my spare x-s steering servo out for throttle on the MTX3 ), and one HS-5925(steering on both x-s and mtx3). I have not had a problem with any of the servos, ever.

I did own a Lynx 3D radio, which looking back, selling it was the best thing I ever did with it, although taking a hammer to it would have been tempting. The 3D i sold was actually radio #3, after sending them back and forth to hitec.
Old 05-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

thats what I was getting at, inconsistancy in their quality control.
I had a few hs 81's that were ok, my one 605 was crap outta the box and the other one was so so. my buddy bought a digital servo of their, the 5925 or something like that, was quite happy with the performance, but didnt like the fact that they kept blowing up and he had to keep getting replacements under warranty.

Ill stick with my Jr and Airtronics/sanwa servos.

currently, I have Jr's 4750 and 4131 and Air/sanwa Erg-RR 94257 and 94738.
all great servos.

the 4131 ive had for over 10 years. I ran it in my 3d RC10T back in 92.
all ive ever had to do is replace the case for it.
Old 05-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Tech Adept

well i got back from the lhs, never in my life have i ever been so insulted. i reference checked the 605 before going there and tower had it for 25.99 what was it gonna cost there? 54.60

i looked over at their 625 and 645 and said "how can only 10 bucks more make those servos so much better?" then walked out.

highway robbery

anyways, i gotta ask, what about running a 645? too much you think? i can get them for 30 bucks at my other lhs(hour away) and my pirate is out of commission for awhile(uses 2 645s)

thought id ask...even though i think im gonna get a yes too powerful considering my pirate will lock up at full speed(and its running an xtm)

the linkage on my tc3 i have is what it had from the factory(since i bought rtr thinking i wouldnt have time to build it)

i dont support my lhs, unless its the other 2 have to drive an hour to get to. they bring a new meaning to rip off and assholes(were gonna charge me retail on parts if i bought a 9.5 from someone else)
Old 05-10-2003, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Where servos are concerned you can never have enough. Especially the steering. To be honest I never use anything other than KO servos.
They are ultra fast and will last a lifetime. My first 2 KO's lasted 13yrs before they even stripped a gear. Had to get news ones this year as I couldnt find replacement gears for my old ones

They might sound expensive at over $100 but in the long run they will save you maybe $400+ if you are in RC longterm. Futaba servos are good also but they are prone to breaking/bending the centering pin.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

Default Hitec "Junk"

Guys;

A few Cents of opinion:

1) From personal experience, I would stay away from the Hitec (5)625/645 Servo line. Mucho Problemas! The High End (5)925/945's seem to be much better (no problems yet).
2) I have a total of 8 R/C Cars/Trucks and 5 of them have Hitec receivers (this says alot)
3) The Hitec 525BB and 605BB seem to be very reliable and perform decent for the price. (no problems ever)
4) If/when the Budget permits, a High Speed Digital servo is the way to go. (I prefer JR 8450's myself)

(Sorry was about $0.50 worth)
Old 05-11-2003, 01:46 AM
Tech Master

I have like a total of like 7 or 8 hitec servos. Their cusomer service is great, and fast too, but like I inferred, I have had to use it a bit. At one time, I sent in 4 servos. 2 died in one day. I've also had 2 or 3 servos that have never failed for 4 or 5 years.

No problems with my Lynx 3D, and the DCX reciever is very good in my opinion (with execption to its hard to obtain Dual Conversion crystals). With Hitec, my experience has been a flip of the coin as far as the servos go. Presently, I'm running Futaba and JR. Not a problem yet, and the gears are made better in my opinion. I've had a 3003 for 4 or 5 years and used it in everything I own. Still a great performing backup servo. You get what you pay for, so get the best you can.

Oh yeah, the 645, is a bit too slow IMO for touring. Its like running a standard. The 605 would be better. Also, look at the JR 590 (?)? It is the servo they are now offering with the XS3, and XR3i. It is about $39.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:28 PM
Tech Adept

i own 2 hitecs, never had a single problem, both 645s....got them for 30 bucks somehow

mabe ill order that 605bb servo from tower. where its price is still 25 bucks(instead of 50 sumin)