Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fuel filters

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 11:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Fuel filters

Is thiere any difference between the different brands of external fuel filters? Also how does a built in fuel filter compare to an external one? I have an hpi rs4 rtr3 and an ntc3 that i need to get fuel filters for. Any suggestions?
Old 05-08-2003, 12:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

There is very little differance in fuel fiters. Some go with the one in the tank, I run both on my cars. It's cheep protection, to keep dirt out of the engine.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

do you know if thier is a replacement fuel tank with built in filter for the hpi rs4 rtr3 and ntc3 nitro cars?
Old 05-08-2003, 01:03 PM
Tech Adept

off topic, but do you have both cars?
Old 05-08-2003, 02:11 PM
Tech Adept

what's your recommendation for external fitler???
Old 05-08-2003, 02:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Not sure if the racer tank (built in filter ) would fit the rtr3. On the external filter, They are all the same. The important thing is not which one but that you use one.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

I believe that the RS4 racer tank does not have a built in fuel filter, but it does fit in any present nitro vehicle- exception being the savage- built by HPI.

There is some difference between external fuel filters. Some use a fine mesh to filter, while others use what I believe is called a 'sintered' fuel filter. It is basically a pourous rock material, and I feel that it filters slightly better, and it is the type of filter in my gas tank (MTX2).

If you want a cheap fuel filter, look at the Dubro lineup. They have a very uncomlicated design that is easy to clean and comes in silver, red, blue and purple. It is only like $2, and very small and compact.
I have seen some of the long and skinny mesh filters create fuel flow problems though. If you tighten them too much, the barrel-like filter can get smashed and slow fuel flow. The big fat ones like the Kyosh o filters don't have this .problem
OFNA has the only 'sintered' fuel filter that I know of. You would kind of have to go searching for it, because they make other models of fuel filters, and I don't know which is the right one.

If I said anything wrong, please tell me.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

i went ahead and went to my lhs and they gave me one from a company called Sullivan. its called the Double screen filter fuel tank to engine. its clear with two filters. looks pretty good. i'll let you know the results sometime tomorrow. thanx again.