Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by g-wan
may i know where can i get those part,mrx4 brass battery tray?thanks
You can get it from YBSlow,

http://www.ybslowinc.com/products.php?item_id=3
Old 05-18-2013, 12:06 AM
Tech Master

Sorry for lifting up this 1 year old thread, but I've recently got myself this car.

My friend bought it last year from a local racer who now races 1/10 nitro TC only and my friend didn't have a chance to run this car so I bought this from him.

I've since run a gallon and could not be happier.

Some of you may know I raced GT in the past and last year tried also 1:8 electric onroad. I don't know about the recent electrics but getting really fast was a bit of a pain because of the overheating. Plus the constant charging is something I don't propably ever get comfortable with.

So getting back to nito has been great. Ok, the 5 min tank feels a tad short when running alone (without a pit man) but still the long run times and going really fast is something that I enjoy a lot.

I will run this car this season and let's see if I get the latest model for 2014 then.

I did seriously think new GT models like the Cobra but I din't want spend another 1K to get it up and running. So this was a cheaper alternative and I can't say I'm dissapopinted - on the contrary - though this class isn't widely adopted. But we do have a racing class for this called "8th scale track" that allows also electrics along nitro. Hope we can keep it alive.

I run spektrum DX3R and radipost servos (green in gas and blue in steering) plus a lipo 2300 mAh RX pack.
I feel this is a good combination and enjoyable to drive. GRP Ninja seems to produce a good power still.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Mika,

I was surprised to see you post here, based on what I have seen of the GT8 cars you have done. I still run this car, as I did not feel that I was driving better than the car. They are still very quick, good taking hits and parts are still around. I've made a few modifications which really helped on the track that I've run on here in the US. If interested PM and and I can give you some options to try.

Mark
Old 05-18-2013, 08:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grenade10
Mika,

I was surprised to see you post here, based on what I have seen of the GT8 cars you have done. I still run this car, as I did not feel that I was driving better than the car. They are still very quick, good taking hits and parts are still around. I've made a few modifications which really helped on the track that I've run on here in the US. If interested PM and and I can give you some options to try.

Mark
Let us know what changes you have made. I have this car too and may run it for a few races this season. thanks, jason
Old 05-19-2013, 01:20 AM
Tech Master

Thanks a lot Mark!

I noticed the rear sway bar has been dremeled on the top to lessen the tension on our small to mid-size tracks from my car.

Yeah I did quite a bit of GT's but eventually I kinda quit because belt cars wasn't allowed in the class. I was thinking of rejoining with Cobra GT to try it out, but it would have out of my budget at this point.

One thing I noticed is that I can get foam tires with the half of the price of rubber tires. Rubber tires can get quite expensive. GT used to be a relatively cheap class but it seems 1:8 scale onroad is now actually cheaper since you don't necessarily need to have the leatest and greatest gear like I do.

Both are nice classes but I had the opportunity to do this again (I tried this before GTs in mid 2000) and I can say now I'm enjoying this a lot. Cars are extremely pleasantful to drive and fast!
Old 05-19-2013, 03:19 AM
Tech Master

Mark, which clutch are you using?

stock or something else?
Old 05-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MikaR
Mark, which clutch are you using?

stock or something else?
I'm using the standard 4 pin clutch that was out of the MRX-4. Same clutch for the MTX-3 which I still run at times. The 3 pin clutch from the MRX-4x/5x should be a little better. Issues with the 4 weights coming out, but I know how it works and set up is OK.

My car has the lower rear suspension arms shortened 3mm by cutting the front off by 3mm and then putting a 3mm spacer behind. I am also using the upper 4R rear arms, which gives the car more drive out of the corners. (I can send you a picture if you need)

In my parts, I have several Kawahara Chassis, which have carbon inserts and weights that can be moved around on the car. Not sure if they will be better, but nice to have the options.

I know a few who have made the top deck move with bearings side to side similar to the MRX-5. Seems to give better side bite in and out of the turns.

Big piece for me was getting a ProtoForm 909 body mounted in the right spot and correct body supports. Pretty heavy rake front to back.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MikaR
One thing I noticed is that I can get foam tires with the half of the price of rubber tires. Rubber tires can get quite expensive. GT used to be a relatively cheap class but it seems 1:8 scale onroad is now actually cheaper since you don't necessarily need to have the leatest and greatest gear like I do.!
Boy do I understand this.

Here in the USA, we are heading towards open full mod engines ....... One run tires ....... away from everything that I liked about the class. Only thing is your chassis set up is not affected by tire wear. But foam tires would fix that
Old 05-20-2013, 01:27 AM
Tech Master

Thanks a lot again Mark, appreciated!

Yeah, I see what you mean!
Old 05-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Had the 1st race this year on Sunday.
We raced along the national 1/10 nitro touring class.
Only five racers but we had a blast!
In the 25min final run 81 laps.
Winner was nine laps ahead, he was also running MRX4.
Second MRX5, then two new serpents 977 and myself.
In best laps I was on par with the other serpent.
Winner was 1 sec faster (correction). Others 0,5s or less.
It was a rather small track, looking forward for larger
tracks in a few weeks time.

Last edited by MikaR; 05-27-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default Just picked one up

I just picked a well loved MRX4X this weekend up and ran a few tanks through it yesterday.

Fantastic car.

I do have a question(which may just be a general 1/8 nitro question)

After warm up, the clutch was still requiring a lot more rpms than I would have expected. The car has no wheel spin on the starter and requires no brake to stand still on the ground after warm up. Is it possible I need to adjust the clutch?

If so, is that the clutch springs or the bell shims? This is for the three shoe clutch.

I'm looking forward to a summer of racing with this car and hope to become much more knowledgeable in 1/8 nitro onroad in general.

Thanks for any advise.
-Tommy

Last edited by tommy911t; 05-27-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:02 AM
Tech Lord

When the shoe wears the gap will be larger and so more rpm is needed to engage and it will create moe slip.

Most of the time it is safe to keep the gap at 0.7mm. with a new shoe set it to 0.6.
If that is still normal then yes, a small turn on the spring pre-tension nut can make a difference. Not more than a 90 degree turn is needed.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Congrats Tommy, it's a great car and a fine class!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default Clutch

Thank you for the answer.

That is what I needed to hear. I will do more tuning at the track and find a happy medium.

Mika,
I will begin posting my wins as they come!

Thank you both.

-Tommy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.