R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-12-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Default Bad turn marshaling

I had to say something about my experiances this past weekend. I drive both on and off road. This problem is the one that takes that cake for me.. I have to keep thinking these are just toys.... but this jackass pissed me off!!! My car flipped over. This idiot comes up and just looks at it... Then he tries to pick up my car from undernieth the body.. Finds out that turning parts and exaust are HOT!! Mind you I was in the leed and there were 45sec left in the third qual! He looks up at me and by now I'm giving him help by motivating him to do his job.. Then he bends down again to touch my car and jumps back!!!! By now, the traffic is coming by and passing him and my car... He then flipps my car over, then gives me the off hand signals... He stalled my car. I got my DNF because of this fool...

I did not do bodly harm to this marshal, but he did it again with another racer...
Old 08-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

In a word... Education

Every race day at the drivers meeting our race director runs thru marshalling technique, including runaway cars... after that there's no excuse
Capelracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:17 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Maybe he was new. I've seen guys at the track that didn't even know what marshaling was. Just talk to him next time.
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:28 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Easy solution, don't crash.

Every once in a while this stuff happens. Not much you can do about it. Have a calm talk with the marshall (yelling only makes things worse) and tell him the correct way to marshall. He might appreciate it.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #5
Tech Elite

The guy had to be new to nitro. I was calm up to the point that he just stood there looking at my car. There were others off the drivers stand yelling "MARSHAL!!!" and signaling for him to do something. The standing there looking at and jumping back for what felt like 10 sec was the part that got me. In the end, I did talk to him civily and asked him to tell me what happened..... I did win my main though.. Being pissed is good motivation to not make mistakes!!!
Old 08-12-2007, 09:06 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

While I understand that it can be frustrating, I never get mad at turnmarshals. If I didnt crash, I wouldnt need them in the first place. Get my point?
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 09:18 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
While I understand that it can be frustrating, I never get mad at turnmarshals. If I didnt crash, I wouldnt need them in the first place. Get my point?
Sometimes you get taken out by the doings of other people. Even the marshals themselves can be the cause of your crash. That is not an excuse for poor marshaling. Marshaling is an important job and it needs to be done competently like everything else. Sounds like the guy just didn't know what he was doing. A bit of training and education as mentioned earlier will probably help.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:31 PM   #8
Tech Elite

This type of marshalling goes in line with a marshall talking on the cellphone rather than watching his section on the track. Or, smoking while marshalling or talking to a fellow racer or girlfriend instead of paying attention to his area. If a marshall is going to be timid while performing the duty of marshalling, then they do not need to be near the track, because it is an accident waiting to happen.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:21 PM   #9
Tech Adept

last week i saw the worst turn marshalling i have ever seen in my life unfortunately they where marshalling my car . get this they pick up the car put it on the wrong side i the wrong lane the announcer was telling him where to put the car i drove the car to where it should be he pick it up run off the track the anounce tell him to put the car on the track where he was he turns and drops it near the end of astraightawy then drops it in the racing lane just in time toget distroyed by an on coming car at full speed because everyone knows you have to look before you place the car in the fastest area of the track. this was as disharting as i have ever been in racing this distroyed 2 cars for nothing more than a turn marshall is an idiot. they weren't paying attenion to there job it is expensive an very furstrating. weneed a lot more instrujction at the club level before many fights start to break out
Old 08-13-2007, 12:27 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capelracer View Post
In a word... Education

Every race day at the drivers meeting our race director runs thru marshalling technique, including runaway cars... after that there's no excuse
Well said!

The race director should make sure that the new guys understand the basics. It's in everyone's best interests.
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:54 AM   #11
Tech Elite

I hate the marshalls that just throw your car down, ie pick it up by the wing and just "flick" it back.

I always put cars down on the track and in the same motion move my arm in the direction the car should be going...

Even though I'm a fat bastard and can't run, no-one has ever complained about my marshalling...
Ashley Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:41 AM   #12
M7H
Tech Elite

bad marshalling?, don't you racers need to marshall in the heat/final after you finished your heat/final?
That way, the best possible marshalling is done......

Or is the discussion about fellow racers, who just don't give a heck when marshalling.....
M7H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:22 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:

Ditto
Old 08-13-2007, 02:47 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Yea, but if you do make a mistake that gets you stuck or flipped over somewhere on the track, you would at least want the marshall to flip, put, or turn your car in the right direction as quickly and cleanly as possible, right?!? Most of us aren't Asushi Hara or Ralph Burch and will ocassionally make a mistake that will get us stuck or flipped somewhere. However, you expect to at least get marshalled the proper way.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Do you know whats painful?

You know how when you flip and the car is on its roof... and it just seems to slide forever... it seems like a million years that time it takes to come to a stop...

lol not that I make a habit of doing that all the time...
Ashley Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote