R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2007, 04:03 PM   #166
Tech Champion
 
Team Kamikaze's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 我的名字是沈先生。我是中国人, 居住美国
Posts: 8,868
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentd View Post
Yes I did. I used 30% Blue Thunder "Race Blend". This is the fuel that I have ran for those 10 years I was telling you about. This is the more popular fuel for Colorado (Where I live) becaude of the Hobby Towns and our Race Club not associated with HT. I've always been very happy with this fuel as far as performance. I know it's good because the "fast" guys at our club have used it forever and they can stay right up there with the "Swagers" of the US and like I said before, I have NEVER had an issue with killing an engine. My engines usually get about 6-7 gallons through them on the same Piston and sleve. They never die, but they definately loose their power. although they still run good. Just not great!

The only "wierd" thing with this fuel is it makes your parts turn a little blue inside the engine. But this has no effect on the parts. Also, it doesn't say, but I think it uses a 12% castor/synthetic oil blend. But don't quote me on that. I also mention that I live in Colorado because of our altitude, which is around 5000 ft above sea level. So I am use to having to retune my engines when I travel. This is obviously the very first thing I do. And this race was at the 301 raceway in Maryland which I believe is pretty much sea level or maybe 500 ft. Just a guess.

And yes, I did shim my head clearence apropriately for the altitude and Nitro percentage I ran. I think I ran either 20 or 25% tornado. This was the ONLY fuel available for this race at the track.

The other thing to note about the engine that died, was the top of the piston was pitted very severly. This has me a bit stumped. It was fine after the qualifiers, as the engine died during the main. So maybe I did have a shimming issue, but I honestly don't think that was it. I would have to get that engine and measure the shims. I believe I used two silver (thick) and two copper (thin). I know that probably doesn't mean anything to you, but since I always run RB, this is how I have learned to do it. I don't know the "actuall" head clearence including the head button and all. But I have all the parts in a bag still, because I someday want to understand what happen to that engine. I'm still guessing it was the fuel.

So any ideas there Wally bro? Thanks for taking the time here. OH yea, SAM...if you read this again, maybe you can shed some light here since you were pitting for me when this happened. This was the Capital Classic race in Maryland.
Yup, I was indeed the one pitting for you at that time, all I notice is when I richen it an hour the engine just don't have enough power that is why we did lean it out 1/2 an hour at a time up to the point where it has decent power, but still have smoke trail, but about at the 12 minute mark your motor just died leaving no compression at all, it feels like spinning only the crankshaft on ball bearings, but I don't know what head clearance you have on that engine.
__________________
Home of the Kamikaze Driver's Development Program = guaranteed podium finish
Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies Inc.
Follow us here on Facebook!
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:17 PM   #167
Tech Elite
 
wallyedmonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brampton ont canada
Posts: 3,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze View Post
Yup, I was indeed the one pitting for you at that time, all I notice is when I richen it an hour the engine just don't have enough power that is why we did lean it out 1/2 an hour at a time up to the point where it has decent power, but still have smoke trail, but about at the 12 minute mark your motor just died leaving no compression at all, it feels like spinning only the crankshaft on ball bearings, but I don't know what head clearance you have on that engine.
what did the engine sound like when it did not have much power.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:47 AM   #168
Tech Adept
 
hkboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 133
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I think it is all because of the head clearance, that is why there is this problem.
__________________
ARC, Tornado Fuel, Sanwa, CRC
hkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:16 AM   #169
Tech Elite
 
wallyedmonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brampton ont canada
Posts: 3,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkboy View Post
I think it is all because of the head clearance, that is why there is this problem.
yes and more.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:09 AM   #170
Tech Fanatic
 
Serpentd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Evans, CO. USA
Posts: 798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds View Post
yes and more.
Yes about head clearence I do believe. I think I overlooked and presumed I had already made the head clearence alterations, however this appears to not be the case. I will post pics soon here.
Unfortunateley I cannot be 100% sure what my clearence was, because I ALWAYS have 1 thick (silver) shim and 2 of the thinner (copper) shims. In my bag where I put the dissasembled engine, I noticed only the 2 copper shims. I'm not sure if I took out the silver one for another engine or not? But I will lay out the parts and take some close ups and also be more specific on the shim thicknesses. Rather then 1 silver, 2 copper etc, no one knows what the heck that means without #'s. I still appreciate your guys input and am curious to hear what you have to say after you see the pics. Yes, head clearence is the most obvious, especially if I only had the 2 thin shims in that thing. Anyway, check back soon please for your feedback. Thanks guys. The ONLY thing I am certain about, well at least 99.9% is that I did not run lean. Pleanty of smoke and temps 220-240 max. Not even sure if I hit the 240 mark, but I only use the temp as a secondary tunining guide It's easier to tell if your lean or rich by the "feel", "sound" and smoke. But nevertheless, I like to check temps regardless.

Oh yeah, Wally-bro, I don't recal totally as to the sound with lack of power. 10 cars on the field and my hearing sucks. But I don't recall it blubbery as too being way too rich, but it was very evident that it was only running at about 80-85% power. Felt slow and too much smoke like it wouldn't clear itself out. Make sence? Sorry, since this happened 3-4 months ago it's hard to remember the details. I might have to call upon SAM your "HUDY Truer" buddy to see if he recalls any specifics. That dude I swear has a photographic memory sometimes. And even if the 2 of you don't agree about stuff all the time, doesn't make either of you a bad guy. Sam has become a GREAT friend of mine over the coarse of a year and I have been very appreciative for his help on and off the track. Regardless, Thankyou to everyone!!

Now let me see if I can't get some pics up for all to poke at. Later all!
__________________
Blessed are the SIC
Serpentd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:10 PM   #171
Tech Adept
 
hkboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 133
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Hey Serpentd

Not a problem. We did not do much. Glad that we can help out
__________________
ARC, Tornado Fuel, Sanwa, CRC
hkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:15 PM   #172
Tech Champion
 
Team Kamikaze's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 我的名字是沈先生。我是中国人, 居住美国
Posts: 8,868
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentd View Post
Yes about head clearence I do believe. I think I overlooked and presumed I had already made the head clearence alterations, however this appears to not be the case. I will post pics soon here.
Unfortunateley I cannot be 100% sure what my clearence was, because I ALWAYS have 1 thick (silver) shim and 2 of the thinner (copper) shims. In my bag where I put the dissasembled engine, I noticed only the 2 copper shims. I'm not sure if I took out the silver one for another engine or not? But I will lay out the parts and take some close ups and also be more specific on the shim thicknesses. Rather then 1 silver, 2 copper etc, no one knows what the heck that means without #'s. I still appreciate your guys input and am curious to hear what you have to say after you see the pics. Yes, head clearence is the most obvious, especially if I only had the 2 thin shims in that thing. Anyway, check back soon please for your feedback. Thanks guys. The ONLY thing I am certain about, well at least 99.9% is that I did not run lean. Pleanty of smoke and temps 220-240 max. Not even sure if I hit the 240 mark, but I only use the temp as a secondary tunining guide It's easier to tell if your lean or rich by the "feel", "sound" and smoke. But nevertheless, I like to check temps regardless.

Oh yeah, Wally-bro, I don't recal totally as to the sound with lack of power. 10 cars on the field and my hearing sucks. But I don't recall it blubbery as too being way too rich, but it was very evident that it was only running at about 80-85% power. Felt slow and too much smoke like it wouldn't clear itself out. Make sence? Sorry, since this happened 3-4 months ago it's hard to remember the details. I might have to call upon SAM your "HUDY Truer" buddy to see if he recalls any specifics. That dude I swear has a photographic memory sometimes. And even if the 2 of you don't agree about stuff all the time, doesn't make either of you a bad guy. Sam has become a GREAT friend of mine over the coarse of a year and I have been very appreciative for his help on and off the track. Regardless, Thankyou to everyone!!

Now let me see if I can't get some pics up for all to poke at. Later all!
As far as I can recall, during the main the motor sounds normal not screaming lean, it has smoke coming out of the exhaust with a nice grunt everytime it passes in front of the pits, all of the sudden the motor flamed out at the middle of the infield and it won't restart again, and when I check the compression by spinning the flywheel, I did not feel any compression at all, it was so smooth that I even made a joke to Darren by asking him "does this motor have a ceramic bearing in it"? I also did checked the temp reading and it is at 207 degrees.
__________________
Home of the Kamikaze Driver's Development Program = guaranteed podium finish
Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies Inc.
Follow us here on Facebook!
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:14 PM   #173
Tech Elite
 
wallyedmonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brampton ont canada
Posts: 3,662
Default

i had this years ago
my motor was running slow and with alot of smoke,so i thought it was rich so i leaned it up a bit.
it sounded like it was not cleaning out but then it just died and the same thing,the flywheel just spun free.
the motor was a novarossi
the piston did have pitting so i think the head clearance was not right or something.
and i was running that evil blue thunder stuff.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:51 AM   #174
Tech Apprentice
 
Tornado Fuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 80
Default

Josh and Scott,

We thank you very much for a good results at the Sedan Nat.
We are all very happy here. Thank you.

Tornado Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tornado Fuel Exclusive USA Distributor Tornado Fuel Nitro On-Road 79 02-24-2012 12:29 PM
**Tornado race blend fuel, $15 a litre** TomB Australia For Sale/Trade 16 07-14-2008 03:47 AM
Tornado fuel 16% 25% and 30% buggy TomB Australia For Sale/Trade 2 05-17-2008 09:52 PM
Tornado fuel Pooh2 Nitro Off-Road 1 08-20-2007 08:31 AM
Tornado Fuel Allan Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 2 11-09-2005 01:46 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:47 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net