R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds View Post
i have 3 gun's
raytek
atomik
ofna
and they all give different readings,i dont know what one is true.
Temp gun is like a Clock/Watch, every Clock/Watch shows a different time. (excluding atomic clock)
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 09:35 AM   #17
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to fraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelong View Post
a good way to see if your gun is in the ballpark.....

* Place a piece of BLACK electrical tape vertically on a pot.
* Fill pot 3/4 full w/ water and place a lid on it so that steam can barely escape.
* Now boil the water.
* After the water is boiling place your gun against the pan on the electrical tape just below the surface of the water......

it should read pretty darn close to 212F.
I would think you would pick up way too much convection heat to get an accurate reading. Also, 212is where water "starts" to boil and one person might think water started boiling at different points.

Best way... I sent mine to Exergen and had it recalibrated
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:06 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

it's obvious when water is boiling it doesn't matter if it just started boiling or has been boiling for 30 minutes..... water boils at 212F. Don't knock it till you try it. It's amazingly accurate and a quick test recommended by Exergen before you send the gun in for repair. keep the gun within 1/2 of the surface of the water and you'll get good results.
BYRON'S FUEL/TWISTER TIRES
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelong View Post
it's obvious when water is boiling it doesn't matter if it just started boiling or has been boiling for 30 minutes..... water boils at 212F. Don't knock it till you try it. It's amazingly accurate and a quick test recommended by Exergen before you send the gun in for repair. keep the gun within 1/2 of the surface of the water and you'll get good results.

How Is the Air Different at High Altitudes?

Above 2,500 feet, the atmosphere becomes much drier. The air has less oxygen and atmospheric pressure.

The reason is the lower atmosphere pressure due to a thinner blanket of air above. At sea level, the air presses on a square inch of surface with 14.7 pounds pressure; at 5,000 feet with 12.3 pounds pressure; and at 10,000 feet with only 10.2 pounds pressure a decrease of about 1/2 pound per 1,000 feet.

Water and other liquids evaporate faster and boil at lower temperatures.
As atmospheric pressure decreases, water boils at lower temperatures. At sea level, water boils at 212 F. With each 500-feet increase in elevation, the boiling point of water is lowered by just under 1 F. At 7,500 feet, for example, water boils at about 198 F.

Check your altitude to find your boiling temp.
Tire Chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:25 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

M.O.T.O.

I figure everyone knows altitude effects boiling point....
BYRON'S FUEL/TWISTER TIRES
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:48 AM   #21
Tech Adept

What about emmissivity? Most of the temp guns have the e factor adjustable. The experiment described above is accurate when the e factor is set to 1, which represents the black body (black electrical tape) emmissivity. But when we measure the engine temperature, it has to be set to the e factor of the glow plug metal, which by the way I do not know what is it. If you search in the net for the emmissivity table then for each type of metal, you will find the e factor.
So, you may have a very accurate temp gun, which shows wrong measurements, because the e factor is not set correctly.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:28 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

The other thing to keep in mind is. What is the actual temperature of the gun itself. I left my gun out on my pit table in direct sunlight for about 1/2 hour I wasn't able to use it until it returned to ambient temperature. This comes into play if your store your gun in your pocket (like I do). I'm not sure which temp guns have an automatic temperature compensation circuit.
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:57 AM   #23
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have chosen to pull out the stops nd stop being cheap about it and get the exergen. After all We spend a few hundred on the engines and a few of them are in the thousands range and it is better to be safe than sorry. I waited until I had a little extra $$$ to spread so I can at least be in the ball park.

I made this choice after working on my partners car at GLC and having Scott shoot the engine and then I shot the engine with my ofna and it was off by a whopping 50 degrees. So when I was using it on my ninja and the temp said 325 I was more-like 275 range. I richened my engine up and performance suffered. Most of the time I dont even go by temp if I have a nice line of smoke but I broke my own rule and screwed up my lap times major. Then to have the rain come and not be able to fix my position in the quals and it hurt. All that from a TEMP ! ! ! A lesson learned.....

If you plan to be in the sport for some time just take like 10-20 bux at a clip and put it towards your temp gun fund and soon you will have the funds to get the more expensive temp gun. There are plenty of good higher priced temp guns but some not practical with size and all...

"Failure Is Not An Option"
kcrunchone is offline   Reply With Quote