Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bearing maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Default Bearing maintenance

I have purchased a set of Acer bearings to use in my MTX4. I am interested in how often people maintain or replace their bearings, stock bearings or original.

With bearings like the Acer bearings I have found that cleaning them is of little use unless they have gone gritty as sometimes the shields do not replace sometimes correctly.

How long before you would feel a performance loss on bearings such as the Acer bearings?
Old 07-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AMGRacer
I have purchased a set of Acer bearings to use in my MTX4. I am interested in how often people maintain or replace their bearings, stock bearings or original.

With bearings like the Acer bearings I have found that cleaning them is of little use unless they have gone gritty as sometimes the shields do not replace sometimes correctly.

How long before you would feel a performance loss on bearings such as the Acer bearings?

that junkbox Mugen will be in the garbage long before those bearings.......(the r40,of course,would outlast those beaings......).....

Hi Buddy!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

When I had the MTX4 and put the ACER bearings in it, I cleaned the bearings after every 2 racing days, unless the track conditions were dusty.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:43 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by AMGRacer

Hi there,

I'm still using the same original bearings from MTX3 and MTX4.

My recipe :

When the car is new, I put lots of tamiya ceramic grease inside all bearings.

Every 4 or 5 times worth of racing : I open the seal, soaked it in WD-40, spray with air or motor cleaner, put lots of tamiya ceramic grease in it, and put back the seals again.

Every 2 times of race meetings : I do the above cleaning process only for main shaft bearings ( the brake pulley ) and rear diff bearings.

After 2 years, my MTX3 get very few bearings replacement ( some bearings feel minor gritty or need new seals ).
Old 07-30-2007, 05:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have been running ceramic since i got my first mtx 3.

all we have ever done is remove the seals, clean them with a air brush full of white spirits and we use to mix the smallest amount of white silicone grease in white spirits (30 to 1). which just leaves a fine amount of the white silicone grease which you can not even see.

you do this every race day if you want them to last.

now we use the acerracing bearing cleanner tool and oil.

dont pack them with grease this makes them go slow.

ceramics are ment to be free so way would you pack them with grease.
are you coming up to the titles
Old 07-30-2007, 05:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fastharry
that junkbox Mugen will be in the garbage long before those bearings.......(the r40,of course,would outlast those beaings......).....
i have worn out the acer bearings before the mtx 3 . i replace parts on the mtx3 but have you ever had a go at putting the balls back in the bearing
Old 07-30-2007, 10:33 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

you guys are removing the seal on an acer nitride ceramic?
Pleas tell me how and how to replace
Old 07-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Heard its not good to put ceramics on the wheels but well worth it for the tranny and diffs.Is this true ???
Old 07-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Having used acer & other high priced bearings in the past I would recommend against them for use in nitro cars or on dusty race surfaces.

In my experience the best option is to use decent low cost metal shielded bearings like those from Yeah Racing(light oil for less drag) or Avid RC (grease pack for longer lifespan) and replace them as soon as they start to get gritty.

All the bearing cleaning processes described will only remove grit from the bearings preventing further damage but will do nothing to repair the damage already caused by the debris. Oil them when the dry out but proper cleaning takes too long and just isn't cost effective.

When brand new those expensive ceramics may be a bit better but after a few races they will be far worse then a $15 new set.

The best cleaning process I have found is to remove the seals (only if you can do so without damaging them), throw the bearings in an ultrasonic cleaner (the cheap integy one works fine) submerged in a cleaning solution like motor spray, nitro cleaner or even nitro fuel for 10-15min. Blow them out good, oil them up and let sit overnight before before reinstalling the seals putting them in your car.

mark
Old 07-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm not sure of what you guys are doing to ceramic bearings...I've got a set of sealed ceramics from Boca in my r40,....the bearings have TWO seasons of hard racing on them.....I use a compressor to blow the car off,raced with boards and without,and the bearings are as good as the day I bought them.,...

at the HPI challnege in oct 06,I broke the pillow balls 4 times on the boards,the bearings were fine.......
Old 07-30-2007, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fastharry
I'm not sure of what you guys are doing to ceramic bearings...I've got a set of sealed ceramics from Boca in my r40,....the bearings have TWO seasons of hard racing on them.....I use a compressor to blow the car off,raced with boards and without,and the bearings are as good as the day I bought them.,...

at the HPI challnege in oct 06,I broke the pillow balls 4 times on the boards,the bearings were fine.......
I think it has more to do with how clean the track is and how critical you are of your bearings. At the outdoor tracks where I live you wont find a single car of any scale or class that has run a full summer season without either replacing or running crunchy bearings. I only run silently smooth super free bearings. Indoors I have never had to replace a bearing in my sedans but in both my NT1 and G4S my wheel bearings are only lasting about 3 hours race time before they slow or get gritty. On the x-ray I switched to I haven't broken a single part but I am on my 2nd set of bearings.

It sounds like the tracks you see are much easier on bearings and possibly foams that what we have in WA.

Mark
Old 07-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Tech Adept

I run Acer bearings in my 720 and never really have problems. After every two races I take the whole car apart and take all the seals off the bearings, spray them out with denatured alcohol, and I get the stubborn dirt out with a toothbrush. You may have to repeat the process a few times if the bearing is pretty dirty, but in the end it doesn't seem like the dirt damages them. The Acer seals are good...you don't have to worry about damaging them when taking them off and replacing them. And of course, to take the seals off just get an razor blade or something up under the seal and pop it off.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I run AVID bearings on my 720 and they are pretty good and last a long time. I know this thread is about bearing maintenance, but the Avid bearings are $1 each so I just throw it away when it gets gritty and that's how I do my maintenance .
Old 07-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

buy a $30 ultrasonic tank at harbor freight and use that to clean your bearings. i use denatured alcohol and then let them basically air dry. i soak them in MMO for about 10 minutes before i put them back in the car.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default Bearings

What i have found is that blowing your car off with compressed air is not a good thing for the bearings. I quit doing this and my ceramic bearings have a couple hours on them and still are like new. I just use an assortment of brushes and cleaning putty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.