Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
removing damaged screws >

removing damaged screws

removing damaged screws

Old 07-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default removing damaged screws

I put a bit of threadlock on the screws which hold my engine in place as standard and now one screw won't come out. The metal on the screw is so soft that the screw head is badly damaged and won't move. Does anyone have a way of removing these damaged screws ?

Thanks for your help,

32819toon
Old 07-25-2007, 02:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 32819toon
I put a bit of threadlock on the screws which hold my engine in place as standard and now one screw won't come out. The metal on the screw is so soft that the screw head is badly damaged and won't move. Does anyone have a way of removing these damaged screws ?

Thanks for your help,

32819toon
im thinking of just putting the driver in and put a little glue on it. Then just unscrew it like normal and use a pliers to take the screw off
Old 07-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You've already tried the standard Dremel cut-a-slot approach? I'm assuming you're aware of that approach but just in case... Put a circular saw type of bit on a dremel and then cut a slot into the screw head. Then unscrew it with a standard flat-head screwdriver.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:04 PM
Tech Regular

Default Easy removal..

Use a #1 screw extractor with a #40 drill or 1/16th drill bit. and never ever, ever, ever, use loctite on your car any place, that stuffs horrible even if its removable loctite...
Old 07-25-2007, 11:33 PM
Tech Addict

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've tried the dremel slot cutting technique, but the screw is so soft when I try to unscrew with a flat head screw driver, the head just carries on disintegrating. There is not much of the head left now.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:01 AM
Tech Adept

Drill the head of the screw out - but just enough into the coutersink - hopefully there will be enough left on the motor mount to get a pair of pliers on it to undo. Some heat may also help as ali expands qicker than steel an it may soften the locktite. If you can't get the reminder of the screw out you may just have to replace your mount but at least you can get the motor out.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:05 AM
Tech Adept

I just though of another trick that has worked for me before as well if you can get the motor out by removing the top screws and get the mount so there is only the stuck screw - turn the mount from the top it may just be enough to get it moving.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 32819toon

Thanks for your help,

32819toon
...for future reference, if you find installed screws too tight because of thread lock, heat will help to liquify the thread locka nd make removal MUCH easier......soldering iron.....small pencil torch.........
Old 07-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the help guys. I got it out in the end. I removed all parts from around the engine and rotated the engine to loosen the screw. I had already tried heat to soften the threadlock without success.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default Thanks

Went to Sears and purchased the items listed, and sucessfully removed the striped screw from the alum tray mount. Saved some $$'s.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

For the top motor mount screws never use loctite. Instead use a 3mm lock washer and it'll never vibrate loose but will easily come out with a ball tip driver. For the screws don't use anything but Grade 12.9 alloy steel especially on screws that go under the chassis and thread into aluminum or steel (such as the motor mounts or steering posts). On these screws you have to use loctite to keep them in but you should only need blue loctite here.

Best regards,
Old 07-28-2007, 04:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (94%+)

goto home depot an buy a little extractor called GATORBITE then put it in your screw gun on reverse an just put pressure all the guys at my local track love the tool it removes all screws its chamfered an actually cuts into the screw then backs it out its awesome