R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-01-2003, 11:38 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default exhaust stinger length

what difference does the length of the stinger do for or against your engine?

i know there is a roar rule about it

what advantage does a shorter stinger have

the reason im asking is i cut one of my exhaust pipes stinger because the end got smashed when someone t-boned me
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 08:55 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

I don't know but I'm guessing that you get lower backpressure when you shorten the stinger? I notice most outlaw pipes have very long stingers so it must somehow enhance performance.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 09:17 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Jason, since your pipe has been T-Boned by someone, go ahead & cut the stinger. Afterall, your pipe has been deformed slightly due to the crash. The slight deformation will affect or alter the intended original performance more than the stinger itself anyway!!!

So go ahead & cut it. Hey, don't forget to comeback & tell us the changes, cheers...

Regards
doctorj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 04:53 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to V-One S

The stinger has no performance advantages, since it cant rebound back pressure waves or anything, plus its at a 90degree bend, thats why the are straight out, not in a cone of somesort, alls the stinger does it get the exhaust clear of the body
V-One S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 07:18 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

i hope your right i have cut it already and i cant really tell if a difference was made because i at the same time had changed my clutch setup

but i put in a new engine last night and wanted to make certain i was in no way going to hurt or affect my new engine
Old 05-02-2003, 08:35 AM   #6

Stinger lenght and id. are used to control the temp. of the pipe. A higher temp. pipe usually is better perfoming but you still need to expell exhaust gases.
JCTC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 08:49 AM   #7
Tech Master

Actually, the stinger does affect the performance of your engine.

Due to rules being set about the internal diameter many people have just regarded it now as a bit that helps the gas clear the shell to stop the build up of oil and dirt on the shell.

However, the internal diameter of the stinger plays an important part in the engines power. Due to the restrictions with rules it has been a while since I thought about this so I am rusty myself but I think it is as follows:

The smaller diameter stinger helps create more power in your engine. It gives a higher back pressure build up. The downside is that it also creates more unwanted heat and so a happy medium is required.
A bigger diameter stinger allows more gases to escape allowing for a lower temperature in your engine (which allows the engine to run more lean) but at the same time creates less back pressure and thus decreases the power of the engine.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 10:26 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

i understand about stinger diameter dennis ritchie explained it on here that a larger diameter stinger would give better top end and a smaller stinger diameter would give better bottom end power

my question has to do strictly with the length of the stinger

modellor please respond i figure you know
Old 05-02-2003, 11:02 AM   #9
Tech Master

The same situation applies. A longer stinger will have basically the same effect as a narrow inner diameter as it will take longer for it to clear the spent gases. Therefore, by cutting the stinger (allowing the gases to escape quicker) you will decrease you botton end power.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 11:30 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

thank you

it makes perfect sense

i had to cut about 5mm of the end off due to unfixable damage

it was a 053 pipe for my 1/8th buggy so loosing some of its bottom end power would not be so bad

but say if it had been a 086 top end pipe it might have actually hurt my engine performance
Old 05-04-2003, 02:18 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to V-One S

unless u r closing up the end of the pipe diameter a bit there should be zero effect since u r not adding something to slow it up or add pressure.
Alls u r doing is moving it further away from the pipe with no form of other turbulance or resistance unless u get wind gusts coming into the end of the stinger.

Other then that no performance is lost or gained.
UNLESS u restrict the exiting end of the stinger.
V-One S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 05:50 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

i think i am going to have to go with modellor i know he has many years racing experience something like 16

i also hear what your saying but i think it does make a change but probably a very very small amount

i know the physics of the situation would back up modellors statement

the fact these little engines rev so high makes things that seem almost impossible possible

i ran the car yesterday for a couple tanks for break-in and this new rx21 p5 is a very very fast engine with great idle characteristics even after 15 seconds of idling it jumps right back into the throttle so well in fact i was worried that i had the low end needle too lean but i richened it up and stilll idled very well still temps under 200 idles at 150 or less i am really impressed