R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-30-2003, 09:03 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default Finally!!!

Well, i finally got my TC3 kit done tonight. Now, after it stops raining i'll go see if it will actually run
alucard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:20 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Location: Black Diamond, Washington- its a little redneck town about 30 miles south of seattle

Good luck!
Hpi dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 10:33 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to RedScorp Send a message via AIM to RedScorp Send a message via Yahoo to RedScorp

Now you gotta change your sig and do AE right.
RedScorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 11:32 PM   #4
Tech Adept

good luck and what engine and radio did you put in it?
buggyman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 08:21 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by buggyman81
good luck and what engine and radio did you put in it?
For the radio I have a JR XRS3i

For the engine I have a Mugen MR12 SG Short Stroke

For the radio, what is an EPA? also, how should i program that?
Old 05-01-2003, 08:38 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

EPA = END POINT ADJUSTMENT

Scroll thru your menu and find D/R, adjust it to be the absolute highest you can get I think 125 on the JR....
Now scroll thru the menu and look for STL and STR....... make sure you have wheels and tires on the car and prep it as if it was race ready.... Steer to the left and adjust it until the steering doesn't bind ad the wheels/tires don't hit anything, now adjust the STR to the same point (numerically on the screen) Now when you steer to the left and right they should have the same throw......

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 01:11 PM   #7
Tech Adept

sounds like a great setup for your car
buggyman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 05:45 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

impactplayr,
thanx for the help. I will set the adjustments according to your post. I also noticed that when i turn the wheels, when it goes back to the straight position i sometimes hear a clicking noise coming from the servos. is that normal?

buggyman 81,
the engine i got from a friend for $120 and he broke it in and only ran it for one weekend. he bought another engine and sold me the mugen.

I ran it a little today and everything looks good. i couldnt get it up to speed since my street has those stupid reflector things.

thanx again for the help
Old 05-01-2003, 08:03 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Default pics

let me know what you think. my two concerns are the 2 speed clutch and the fuel tubing. i hope i have it set right for the clutch and the fuel tubing to the carb i had to switch to the other side of the carb because of the ait filter.

http://www.alucard.cc/rc/ntc3
Old 05-01-2003, 09:50 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to RedScorp Send a message via AIM to RedScorp Send a message via Yahoo to RedScorp
Default Re: pics

Quote:
Originally posted by alucard13
let me know what you think. my two concerns are the 2 speed clutch and the fuel tubing. i hope i have it set right for the clutch and the fuel tubing to the carb i had to switch to the other side of the carb because of the ait filter.

http://www.alucard.cc/rc/ntc3
Try to keep the fuel tube as level as possible. I wrap mine around the handle. Also, make sure you have about 10" of fuel tube from your pressure fitting on your tank to the pipe.

I wish I could enlarge this picture of my car some without distorting it but I can't. I think you can see my fuel tubing wrapped around the handle and tied off as level as possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scott ntc3.jpg (16.3 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by RedScorp; 05-01-2003 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:55 PM   #11
Tech Regular

here's an attempt at enlarging it...a little distorted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scott ntc3 enlarged.jpg (63.8 KB, 72 views)
Old 05-02-2003, 07:30 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

i can see it a little. I do have 10" of line going into the pipe so i think i should be good on that. For the 2 speed how does it engage? Because the pinion gears on the bell move BOTH spur gears at the same time. Now i know that the 2 speed cluth will engage at a certain speed depending on how tight i tighten the screws and push the metal balls closer to the shaft or loosen the balls. But if both spur gears are spinning isnt it already enagaged? I followed the directions very close when installing and i made a couple mistakes but i corrected them while building so i'm pretty sure i have the gears on right. also for the gear mesh it says to align it so that when you hold the pinion gear you can rock the spur gears back and forth with light pressure. I am able to do this so i should be ok with the gear mesh right?

Thanx for the help.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:46 AM   #13
Tech Regular

What they're trying to tell you about the mesh is that if you hold one side of the gears and rock the other gears there should be a little play.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:59 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

This can be kinda tricky to explain.....

Yourtheory would be correct, but you forgot the one-way bearings inside the clutch....

each gear gas it's own independant one-way bearing , both facing opposite directions. As the engine starts to rev-up gear ones bearing locks to the shaft and begins the acceleration process, weanwhile gear 2's one-way locks in the other direction allowing the gear to "freewheel" on the shaft not being engaged, infact that bearing never engages......

Now as the RPM's come up the 2 dspeed clutch engages gear 2 at a shaft RPM level you determine, in trn this locks gear 2 to the shaft increasing the prm's of the shaft. at this point the shaft starts spinning at higher rpm's than gear 1, so the one-way bearing disengages or unlocks and allows gear 1 to turn at lower rpm's than the shaft is turning.....

The Nitro 2 speed is quite complicated if you don't understand how the inner working parts actually do their thing, but quite simple once you understand how it works......

The nitro 2 speed would be totally mpossible if it weren't for one-way bearings......

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote