R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-24-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default advice on starting rb matrix speedline rw .12

I have not fiddled with the factory settings yet on the carbuerator but it really is hard to get the engine to start. after a try or two it would get flooded. I could tell because when I tilt the car side ways a puddle of fuel with flow out instead of just droplets. At one point it did start for about 10 seconds but when i gave it a little throttle it died. basically it gets flooded at every try so my guess is to lean out the low speed needle a bit and high speed needle a just a tad 1/8 of a turn, am i right? any comments or tips would be greatly appreciated.

judd
john dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to va_connoisseur

I have the RB Concept V12 R3 and I can tell you these engines are tight to start. To aid in starting, left the glow ignitor on for a few seconds after the first start. Once it got through the first tank, starting became a breeze.

Video here, click on the video image on the left side
http://teamkhaos.com/buildingkhaos/daynine.html
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I always use a heat gun (blow dryer) to warm the head up to like 140 F before trying to start. That always works well on hard to start motors.

I wouldn't lean it at all until you're done breaking it in. Next time you get it running, don't give it any throttle, just let it idle. Good luck.

MINO Racing
JetMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

thanks for your inputs fellas. turning the flywheel is no problem though it just would not start and floods the engine quite easily. i will try what you guys say though.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:32 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

use a heat gun to start , it is ok to lean it out a little to keep it running,
try to break it in by keeping heat in the motor , wrap some blue painters tape around the head, get the temp up to 185 -200 at no more then 1/4 of the rpm .do this for at least 5-7 tanks letting it cool between tanks before trying to tune it
Old 07-25-2007, 10:13 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Hi,
I had the same thing with my RB. My needle was 5.5 turns out and the thing just wouldn't start.

I screwed the high speed all the way in and then backed out 4 complete turns and started my break in from there. I 'v e had no problems as i was heat cycling the engine. Even with 4 turns out, i had droplets on unburnt gas coming out of the pipe.
charlesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:18 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to va_connoisseur

Not sure that the tape is needed. We idled through 6 tanks without touching the needles and it maintained a constant temp. I was using MAXY 25% fuel with the #6 Turbo plug. Also, I am using the recommended RB Concept pipe/header for it.

I'm sure it doesn't hurt to have the tape and if the temps rise you can richen it or remove the tape. Let us know how it works out
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

now i do not feel bad as i have seen people with the same predicament My engine was also way off base settings. I went to the RB site and got the base settings 5 turns from closed on HSN and 2.5 turns from closed on the LSN. Started right up and idled it for one tank and drove it for 4 tanks. I do figure 8 driving at partial throttle just so i do not back up the muffler. i noticed that the engine wasnt having ah hard time warming up and stayed at 187f on top of the head and 205 on the side of the head where the manifold bolts up too. the temp reading may seem high but i think it is safe since it was really running rich....

thanks again fellas!