R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-21-2007, 05:03 PM   #31
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
Amazing how people can use the same stuff and get very different results. My results are quite different than that of the previous post.
well then again the setups have a huge impact, like running a spool up front would make tires wear more no matter what brand.

I personally like GQ's cuz they come with sidewall decals!

but also i prefer them cus the rims hold up great, the new rim that jaco is usin for its nitro shoes (im told its a new rim) just breaks easier and since im a noob its more important to stay in the race than to go fast. But other than that the jacos are good. the tires grip welll and last reasonably well. And what about Kawahara's?
Little_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 05:17 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Twister- I have not had great luck with these on my 1/8th scale in the past, but they were great in my sedan. The 1/8th Mugen/Kyosho style rear rims were way too sloppy and caused them to wear very quickly around the rear axle. It was impossible to set my car up using Twisters. I hear they have changed the rim design and they fit Mugen and Kyosho better on the axle now. I would run them again if the rims were truly fixed and I had a cause to switch from Jaco's. Omar is great to deal with..... just not during hurricane season..... LOL

Twister is now run by Kevin H. (the owner of the track in Kissimmee, Fl.)

Regards
dj apolaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 05:38 PM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj apolaro View Post
Twister- I have not had great luck with these on my 1/8th scale in the past, but they were great in my sedan. The 1/8th Mugen/Kyosho style rear rims were way too sloppy and caused them to wear very quickly around the rear axle. It was impossible to set my car up using Twisters. I hear they have changed the rim design and they fit Mugen and Kyosho better on the axle now. I would run them again if the rims were truly fixed and I had a cause to switch from Jaco's. Omar is great to deal with..... just not during hurricane season..... LOL

Twister is now run by Kevin H. (the owner of the track in Kissimmee, Fl.)

Regards
Thanks for the update DJ. Like I said it was in the past.... 2005 Nationals and before. I pretty much stopped using them after the '05 Nats. Like I said- if I had a cause to switch from Jacos, Twister and then ATS would be next in line.

I'm always up for a few free trial sets... LOL
BYRON'S FUEL/TWISTER TIRES
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:50 PM   #34

t
speedygonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:06 PM   #35
Tech Rookie

its funny how people try to get in here and start bashing. First of all if you have never put a set of kyosho on your car you should not even be posting. and if you are sponsored even less reason for you to post about any tires because you have agendas behind what you write.
watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:43 PM   #36
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
its funny how people try to get in here and start bashing. First of all if you have never put a set of kyosho on your car you should not even be posting. and if you are sponsored even less reason for you to post about any tires because you have agendas behind what you write.
The original poster asked for an evaluation of tires Scott had run......

maybe you should have read the entire thread before posting your 1st post on the forum.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:53 PM   #37
Tech Adept

watchdog - the only person that has bashed anyone has been Jack Rimer (and he was just standing up for his product). That being said, everyone has had their own experiences with different tires (including sponsored drivers) and deserve to give their 2 cents.

Tire grip and wear is based on car setup, the surface you run on, and you're driving style. So different brands WILL differ between tracks and people.

My experiences:

GRP - I like GRP rubber/wheels but find them too expensive for the average club race.

Kyosho - Haven't run them but have friends that do. Again, too expensive for me to run them.

Jaco - For me, the best tire/wheel combo for the price. Good wear and decent traction. I do have problems with the new wheels fitting on my Delta XP4 in the rear, but the solution is easy.

Twister - Won't touch them. One set lasted me maybe 1 qualifing run compared to all day + with Jacos.

GQ - besides the rim being orange. good traction and durable rims. Problems with distribution.

Other makes I can't say as I can't get a good supply of to try.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:42 AM   #38
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelong View Post
Thanks for the update DJ. Like I said it was in the past.... 2005 Nationals and before. I pretty much stopped using them after the '05 Nats. Like I said- if I had a cause to switch from Jacos, Twister and then ATS would be next in line.

I'm always up for a few free trial sets... LOL
I used ATS tires this season. About 25 sets for 1/8 and 20 set for my 1/10 car. My big problem was ,the wheels (on s960 -1/8) dont fit very well. It has always a play. Exspecially on the rear. This is not what I liked. For fix this problem I changend my wheel axel with "serpent qc fixed wheel axels". This option help me to fixed the play. Because of the nut with o ring you can get this play. But this is a expensive option. I used the Andrea Christiani edition tires which has the new lighter rims and new foam componaud. Its a little bit expensive than the standart version but has much much better grip. But its nut better than Jaco! Jaco have much better grip and same tire wear and no play on the wheels.
The 1/10 A. Chritiani editions tires have the lighter rims too. This helps a lot off for reducing rotating mass. No problem with the whells. Rubber is harder than other brands. I read they are using the 1/8 tire companaud on the this wheels. Grip is not better than GQ, JAco, grp but less tire wear.
The standart version from ATS my frends and I had very bad experience. To get set up is very difficult. Its to hard!
CIMRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:58 AM   #39
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIMRI View Post
Rubber is harder than other brands. I read they are using the 1/8 tire companaud on the this wheels. Grip is not better than GQ, JAco, grp but less tire wear.
The standart version from ATS my frends and I had very bad experience. To get set up is very difficult. Its to hard!
Anyone who is remotely serious about racing should use a durometer to rate their own tire stash. Don't rely on the manufacturer to rate your tires for you. Not every manufacturer may use the same type of durometer or the same measurement method. They may use an Acker C, or a OO durometer- close, but not the same. One manufacturer may hold the tire by hand while the other uses a stansion setup.

I've had some 35's that I measured as 32's and others 37's. I don't consider that out of spec, but I will always stick the harder tire on the "outside", or higher wearing side of the car. If the track wears even I can match pairs from many sets of tires.

I'm not sticking up for, or representing ATS. I did not experience your finding with my durometer in Ft. Myer's at the WinterNats when I ran a few sets for practice. They were rated quite well out of the box.... as well as anyone else in general.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:34 PM   #40
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelong View Post
Anyone who is remotely serious about racing should use a durometer to rate their own tire stash. Don't rely on the manufacturer to rate your tires for you. Not every manufacturer may use the same type of durometer or the same measurement method. They may use an Acker C, or a OO durometer- close, but not the same. One manufacturer may hold the tire by hand while the other uses a stansion setup.

I've had some 35's that I measured as 32's and others 37's. I don't consider that out of spec, but I will always stick the harder tire on the "outside", or higher wearing side of the car. If the track wears even I can match pairs from many sets of tires.

I'm not sticking up for, or representing ATS. I did not experience your finding with my durometer in Ft. Myer's at the WinterNats when I ran a few sets for practice. They were rated quite well out of the box.... as well as anyone else in general.
It's posible you had other experience. I have a durometer too. On my durometer give me the same result(shore) what of the box printed is. There is no problem with the shore. But dont forget, the compound of the rubber has other components or chemicals thats help on your grip. I thing thats why has some Brands more grip or not. The character of this tires is a little bit different as Jaco and Grp. But I dont mean its a bad tire! Most of famous Italien dirves Domainen, Fantini , Christiani use this tires and have big succes. But the play on the wheels is really a problem. Its is possible that only 960 wheels have this problem. I wrote to Ats an email but havent any answer for this.
CIMRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:13 AM   #41
Tech Regular

Red Box for 1/8 Scale is Multiring tyre?
What is the difference between single and multiring tyre?Which is better?
What tyre do you prefer PMT or Kyosho?

Nick
nikoskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:35 PM   #42
Tech Apprentice

Hi

Can you use these tyres on a 710/720

Thanks
V1R racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:45 PM   #43
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1R racer View Post
Hi

Thanks
I don't think you can since the 720 uses a 1mm offset but if you do you have to readjust your track width the kyosho comes with a rear 2mm offset & a 0 offset for front or rear
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:50 PM   #44
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1R racer View Post
Hi

Thanks
Yes you can.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:23 PM   #45
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIMRI View Post
Hi,

This is my experience with my V one RRR

GRP :Very good grip. But is a step softer than other brands. 40 s. GRP is
equal the 37 S. GQ. The DTM rim is breakebile and the rim is to
soft. But the Serpent rim is ok.

GQ : Very good strong hard rims. It is 2 step harder than GRP. Grip is
good.But not better than Jaco!

ZAC : Rim is soft too. Acctually I dont like soft rims. Becauce you lost your
shock settings! The tire grip is same as GRP but you have less tire
wear in same shore

PMT : Have got very little experience. But this was one of the best tire
I have ever tired. Very good grip and tire wear. Only the rims are
breakebile because there are thinn but not soft! Here in germany
I couldnt find none offset tire from pmt! All the tires is offset

ATS : This tire is to hard. There is a new version avaible. "Andrea Christiani"
This tires have a special lightened rims but very strong. Has better grip
than previous version. But not enough. Its hard to the find the right
setting for this tire. With the standart version I had very bad
experiences.

JACO :I found that , the jacos are very duralable.It has better grip than GQ
and less wear than GRP. Good tire wear and enough grip. The rims are
strong . I'll try the 2 stage tires and let you now.

Kyosho : I have orderd some and want test nex week.

I did my test on european style tracks. Grip is generall mid. and the tracks was low to mid bite tracks. Asphalt temp. 50-60 c. Air temp. 30-35 c.
you missed one enneti tires i personally believe they are the best because with them i have superior grip even in bad conditions also superior steering. and i have run the twisters out of europe they are very good and seem to be better than the ones from the usa. i would love if ufra's where back again. it is also a very good tire. and also microsystems i love the way they wear in 1/8th scale. very good grip. and yes i use tire companies to tune with. to kill steering use jacos, gq on sedanhave incredible wear and you can go a shore harder on most track. enneti's are a qualifing tire