Wiki Posts
Search

Pitting Trick to blow the competition

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

Default Pitting Trick to blow the competition

Hi all,

As we all know in a main, the pitt man is just as important as the driver and every bit of time saved in the pitts is a great factor towards wining.

Here is a trick that I worked out on my own and after successfully testing it in PR this this weekend gone, would like to share with the RC world.

If the guy you are pitting for needs to do a tire change or you need to do a quick repair that will have him (or her) in the pitts for more than 30 - 45 sec, you may either choose to blip the throttle at intervals during the pitt stop to keep the engine from stalling (which in itself can also slow you down) or you may just allow the engine to stall and choose to restart when needed.

Well now, you may not need to do any of the above. Simply place your glow stick on the plug and let the engine idle. It will not stall. When you are ready to get back out, then have your driver blip the throttle to burn off the excess fuel, remove the glow stick and hit the road!!!!

The increased heat of the plug from the glow stick will keep your engine running. When you blip the throttle, it will burn off the excess fuel without stalling your engine, saving you those extra laps to take the win, while everyone else is "fighting up" wtih their starter box.

It is advisable off course, that you run a new plug in your main. (obviously)

Try this trick at home in your spare time and see how much extra time your engine can run for and not cut off. I am sure you will be surprised.

Hope this tip helps in some way to give you the win.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

something to consider, might burn out glow plugs faster though.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Here's a example: The technique can be also used off the start. Watch the yellow/black 1/8th car starting off in the 3rd position. If you watch very carefully, the pitman keeps the glow ignitor on right-up to the start of the race. This was the 1/8th scale on-road world championship held in Messena Italy last year.

http://www.rams-club.com/Pictures/ma...&g2_itemId=469
Old 07-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Tech Addict

Sweet, I'll try that next time!
Old 07-17-2007, 02:16 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by XNXIXTXRXOX
something to consider, might burn out glow plugs faster though.
There is a possibility, but the odds are still in your favor. Going with a new plug for the race will help. Also, I would not recommend using a HOT SHOT 2 or any other high capacity stick. Just a standard stick will do to avoid burning the plug.

I would like to get feed back from others when you try this to let us know how it worked for you, before it's considered an "official" trick.

For example in PR this weekend gone, we needed to repair the 2 speed shoe which came loose during the main. The car pulled in, we quickly removed the body and dropped on the stick. We worked on it without the driver having to blip the throttle (which in itself was not possible in this case) nor did we need to let the engine stall. When we were finished with the repair, we removed the stick, placed the body back on, and then put the stick back on again as we worked to get the body clips back on.

When complete, blip the throttle, burn off the excess fuel and smoke, removed the stick and off we went. The engine stayed on all this time.

I did not inform the driver of this trick before the race. I just thought I would go ahead and confirm what I have already tested. He did not understand what we were doing but was really calm during the main and allowed us to work. When we asked him to blip the throttle, he could not believe the engine was still on....
Old 07-17-2007, 02:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

very good idea, never thought of this before...and its practical too, esp. before starting on the grid....
Old 07-17-2007, 03:22 AM
Tech Addict

You guys coulda told me this a week ago, before my engine stalled on the grid!
Old 07-17-2007, 03:37 AM
Tech Regular

This trick worked excellent this past wknd here in PR. Thanks to V1-RRR-WC for sharing with us and helping me in the pits with Angel's car. When you have 1 hour mains, more than likely there will be some pit time to either repair or change tires, this is an excellent tip that is a time saver. As far as burning out the glow, I would thing that if the engine is tuned well, should not be a prob. If not tuned well, you will loose the glow plug anyway.

havy
Old 07-17-2007, 03:41 AM
Tech Champion

I would prepare another car on the bench.

If shits happens to car #1, my pitman car throw in car #2 ( assuming you have identical cars ) .... and don't forget to transfer the transponder.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:47 AM
Tech Regular

Most big races, changing cars is not alowed.

havy
Old 07-17-2007, 03:51 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by havy

havy
True.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:01 AM
Tech Regular

this very good idea...should have used it this past weekend as car stalled at pit..will remember next race...thank's for tip!
Old 07-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by havy

havy
Not all big races mention about the spare car.

When the rules don't mention it, assume not forbidden
Old 07-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by V for Victory
You guys coulda told me this a week ago, before my engine stalled on the grid!
fo real that happened to me in vegas and it costed me the race that is sweet
Old 07-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Pitting trick

Originally Posted by asw7576
Not all big races mention about the spare car.

When the rules don't mention it, assume not forbidden
I Always go to the track with at least three cars set up the same.
So many time when you run two classes, you dont have time for repair of any damaged parts, or even chassis set-ups. By the time you qualify, then turn marshall, then run you other class, and then turn marshall again, you have just enough time to catch your breath before you go back out again.
Club races of course dont hold you to one car, but for the big events, I would have to say that the car you qualify with, is the car you run the main with.
Two wweks ago, just as my qualifying time was called, one car took a sh--.<receiver>
So I crabbed another car, only to find out that as soon as I started the second car, the front belt stripped. So I crabbed the third car, stuck in the transponder, and made it just in time.<maybe I should start taking four cars>

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.