R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-17-2007, 02:20 PM   #16
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Depending on the dent, if your lucky, it'll look like the dent wasn't even there. There are times when the dent comes out with a few blimishes. And, sometimes, there are times when the dent doesn't even un-dent itself just because of the location of the dent. Here's a dent that may be beyond repair. This is Andrew Ellis' car back at the 2004 1/8th scale nationals.
JEEEEEEEEEEEEZE!!!!!! that was one heck of a hit! wow

and cool! and to keep its size just zip ties, or something under the zip ties? so its completely covered?
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:49 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Nah, with those dents it doesn't look like its worth doing the freezer trick. Water is abnormal in that it is one of the few materials that will expand on solidifying (along plutonium and a few others).
It's to do with the way the hydrogen bonds interact with each other (without H-bonds water should be a gas a room temperature, so it's lucky we have them!), water undergoes a 4% expansion in volume, so you may need to do the freezer trick a few times.

REMEMBER! - water will expand along the whole pipe, not just where the dents are.
bozla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:37 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozla View Post
Nah, with those dents it doesn't look like its worth doing the freezer trick. Water is abnormal in that it is one of the few materials that will expand on solidifying (along plutonium and a few others).
It's to do with the way the hydrogen bonds interact with each other (without H-bonds water should be a gas a room temperature, so it's lucky we have them!), water undergoes a 4% expansion in volume, so you may need to do the freezer trick a few times.

REMEMBER! - water will expand along the whole pipe, not just where the dents are.
well then how dented is dented?

how much does the powerband change with dents in the pipe?
Old 07-17-2007, 07:41 PM   #19
Tech Adept

I dunno about powerband effects but it has to be damaged enough to risk damaging it further - if that helps.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:43 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozla View Post
I dunno about powerband effects but it has to be damaged enough to risk damaging it further - if that helps.
yeah that does

how simple do pipes dent?

i guess they dent from cars hitting u, because i dont think u could crash and hit the pipe... doesnt seem possible anyways lol
Old 07-18-2007, 06:17 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Pipes can dent real easy. If they didn't they'd be too heavy for racing! It's not unusual to see people using old beat up pipes and winning races. Sometimes you can get one nasty knock and they cave in, then you wanna freeze it.

Remember, the more you work metal, the stronger it gets (notice how a ring pull gets tougher before it finally gets too brittle and breaks). So your pipe will probably a bit tougher for the battle scars.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:30 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Default Dented pipe.

Hey guys that freezer thing really works, had a couple of bad dents in my pipe, filled it with water plugged all the holes, put it in the freezer a whalla the dents where out, but one word of caution i put it in for the first hour, then checked it every 1/2 hour after that, didnt want it to expand to much..

"Free your mind, and your ass will follow"...
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have been heating the pipe at the ding or dent with a propane torch and then pushing the dent back out from the inside. It works on the stinger also. You just need to find something the same size as the hole in the stinger. I use a drill bit the proper size and then clamp a pair of Vise Grip pliers onto the stinger, heat it very hot and then you can pull and bend the stinger back to it origonal location and angle. I have been very suprised the pipes that I have saved that I was sure where trash.
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveless View Post
Hey guys that freezer thing really works, had a couple of bad dents in my pipe, filled it with water plugged all the holes, put it in the freezer a whalla the dents where out, but one word of caution i put it in for the first hour, then checked it every 1/2 hour after that, didnt want it to expand to much..
thats a good idea!

ib just be paranoid while it was in the freezer lol

whats the diff of milk over water?