R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-01-2003, 10:20 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Still trying to find the right exhaust manifold......gaskets keep on blowing out!
Old 05-01-2003, 11:07 AM   #32
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to ice-wolf Send a message via Yahoo to ice-wolf

Quote:
Originally posted by RedScorp

BTW I think my hamster on a high complex carb. diet will spank your Richey Eagle.

Is it 3port or 5port turbo or non-turbo?lol
ice-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 04:17 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by patelladragger
well I've ran the richey rtu mt12...wasn't impressed. Wanted to be, tried to hard to be, wasn't. The motor had power better than stock only way up top. The biggest complaint is the engine did not hold a tune well at all. No, I'm not the best tuner, but long-time experienced racers couldn't keep the richey running good over a main. It cost me two races before I gave up on it.

I have also ran a smeltz sirio, and while it's still new (never seen a main) and not fully broken / tuned in, it has some of the same characteristics as the richey though it is stronger off the bottom. The j-tech rossi pixie so far is the fastest roar modified I've ran. It's got gobs of yank top and bottom and the thing is getting faster every time I run it. We tuned one to 260 and the thing was a rocketship. The engine has always been incredibly reliable and tunable to top it off.

All that said I agree with some others there are a bunch of folks who can make an engine scream, but far, far fewer who win/lose races because of them.
The RTU motors were putting out JP RS12 s3 type power 2 years ago. That is why they are/were so respected at the time. Now the RTUs as you pointed out are not as impressive as they were back then.

I agree about your pixi findings mine is standard is is getting quicker each time I use it. Very very nice motor.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 04:34 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Quote:
well I've ran the richey rtu mt12...wasn't impressed. Wanted to be, tried to hard to be, wasn't. The motor had power better than stock only way up top. The biggest complaint is the engine did not hold a tune well at all. No, I'm not the best tuner, but long-time experienced racers couldn't keep the richey running good over a main. It cost me two races before I gave up on it.

I have also ran a smeltz sirio, and while it's still new (never seen a main) and not fully broken / tuned in, it has some of the same characteristics as the richey though it is stronger off the bottom. The j-tech rossi pixie so far is the fastest roar modified I've ran. It's got gobs of yank top and bottom and the thing is getting faster every time I run it. We tuned one to 260 and the thing was a rocketship. The engine has always been incredibly reliable and tunable to top it off.

All that said I agree with some others there are a bunch of folks who can make an engine scream, but far, far fewer who win/lose races because of them.
I've also been very impressed with my J-Tech "hamster". Although it took quite a while to procure it, I think I may be glad I waited.
kevink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 04:51 PM   #35
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to RedScorp Send a message via AIM to RedScorp Send a message via Yahoo to RedScorp

Quote:
Originally posted by ice-wolf
Is it 3port or 5port turbo or non-turbo?lol
hehe rofl
RedScorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 04:53 PM   #36
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to RedScorp Send a message via AIM to RedScorp Send a message via Yahoo to RedScorp

Quote:
Originally posted by laro
people with 0.S. engines should'nt even be allowed to post on any engine forum. there Dogs.
lol WHATEVER! I think snoids shouldn't be allowed to post on any forum thread but somehow you continue to, so I suppose it's alright for me to as well.

Now, back to the more intelligent portions of the thread shall we?
RedScorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 08:15 AM   #37
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to moshmxpx

Quote:
laro "people with 0.S. engines should'nt even be allowed to post on any engine forum. there Dogs."
LOL, what engine won the 1/8 off-road worlds?

as far as .12's go, the OS 12-TR is an awesome engine. on a short track it will handle any nova engine. it just doesn't have the top-end. Maybe you should check one out on a track that is tuned properly.
moshmxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 08:38 AM   #38
Tech Fanatic

i am not posting to bash OS engines but i have a v01b ive had problems with and i will probably never buy another OS engine

but one of the fastest onroad racers in my area uses a OS engine in his ntc3 and it flys
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 03:54 PM   #39
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
well I've ran the richey rtu mt12...wasn't impressed. Wanted to be, tried to hard to be, wasn't. The motor had power better than stock only way up top. The biggest complaint is the engine did not hold a tune well at all. No, I'm not the best tuner, but long-time experienced racers couldn't keep the richey running good over a main.
Patella I suggest you look at The RCRCNT series points in your neck of Texas for 2002. Seems Chris Roundtree whooped everyones ass every race last year with one of those mediocre RTU's that wont hold a tune.

Seems he's doing very well this year too as is Al Gurerra, and Richard Reiger. Their running meidocre motors too.

Seems Brad Toffelmire and Tennessee Brown do real well to with those untunable motors. Just go to crystal park or revelation in california and ask.

It also seems Team Mugen UK is doing well also.

You may have run one and possibly it did not work out well for you but I chances are very good you had it in an associated car but I bet you'd never admit it. I don't know who you are, and if you had an issue evidently you never called me. It is also highly likley if you purchased it in Texas it was not a True Richey RTU.

On the other hand it was stated that the RTU is not as much of a standout as it was two yearts ago. This is an accurate statement as production motors are beginning to catch up and equalize things. This is good as my origional mission is almost complete, most of you don't understand the origional intent of the RTU and never will. It was created to flatten the field and push the manufacturers to turn loose the 3 port technology. IT DID EXACTLY THAT!

Dennis

Last edited by Motorman; 05-02-2003 at 04:01 PM.
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 04:52 PM   #40
Tech Master

I can vouch for the Team Mugen UK engines.

Even in Ireland their engines are being talked about and they are brewing one heck of a storm.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 05:01 PM   #41
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorman
Patella I suggest you look at The RCRCNT series points in your neck of Texas for 2002. Seems Chris Roundtree whooped everyones ass every race last year with one of those mediocre RTU's that wont hold a tune.

Seems he's doing very well this year too as is Al Gurerra, and Richard Reiger. Their running meidocre motors too.

Seems Brad Toffelmire and Tennessee Brown do real well to with those untunable motors. Just go to crystal park or revelation in california and ask.

It also seems Team Mugen UK is doing well also.

You may have run one and possibly it did not work out well for you but I chances are very good you had it in an associated car but I bet you'd never admit it. I don't know who you are, and if you had an issue evidently you never called me. It is also highly likley if you purchased it in Texas it was not a True Richey RTU.

On the other hand it was stated that the RTU is not as much of a standout as it was two yearts ago. This is an accurate statement as production motors are beginning to catch up and equalize things. This is good as my origional mission is almost complete, most of you don't understand the origional intent of the RTU and never will. It was created to flatten the field and push the manufacturers to turn loose the 3 port technology. IT DID EXACTLY THAT!

Dennis
No personal disrespect intended towards you Dennis. I was just stating my experience. Didn't know you still posted here.

Rountree from what I've seen is one helluva driver and would be at the front regardless of motor. However the comp in 200mm class jumped up a couple of notches this year in RCRCNT and chris has got his hands full by a few drivers with stock engines. The last track was huge, wide open str8 in San Antonio. If the richey were so much faster than stock on that track Chris would've ran away with TQ and race as good as he is. I know he was one of the top 4 or 5 but I don't think he was dominating.

In any case, like the others have posted here, there are so many variables - weather, pipe, clutch, gearing, yadda yadda, the modified motor is just one piece and with the quality of some of the stock motors only a very few will win/lose a race because of their motor. Just my .02. Again - no disrespect intended.

No ntc3 for me and the RTU I had came from ohio but I suppose it very well could have been a fake.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 11:23 PM   #42
Tech Initiate

Quote:
In any case, like the others have posted here, there are so many variables - weather, pipe, clutch, gearing, yadda yadda, the modified motor is just one piece and with the quality of some of the stock motors only a very few will win/lose a race because of their motor. Just my .02. Again - no disrespect intended.
I don't recall that anyone here ever doubted that the other variables were important or that the driver variable was the dominant factor. Nonetheless, if you take those variables as fixed, then having a better engine will be an improvement. Would you not agree?
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 05:20 AM   #43

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

Hey Dennis, glad to see you are back!!
I have my RTU and RTO running very consistant in my NTC3 now. Its took a ton of work and modifying buts its perfect for us now. When we gonna see the Gen 3? Email me . BB
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 07:29 AM   #44
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

Quote:
Originally posted by Number9
I don't recall that anyone here ever doubted that the other variables were important or that the driver variable was the dominant factor. Nonetheless, if you take those variables as fixed, then having a better engine will be an improvement. Would you not agree?
Sure I would agree. That's why I buy modified engines. Those variables are hardly ever fixed though so for most (and me too) it probably isn't that smart with the performance of some of the stockers. If the modifiers had the effect of forcing the factories to release more power and we can thank them for that - so be it.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 08:00 AM   #45
Tech Regular

Default Mod Engines

Has anyone ever had A$$dragger bring any constructive discussion. Seems like everytime I get on the forums and see whats going on, he's got his mouth involved in some controversy !!

With 1900 + posts on this forum, the dude needs to get a life !!!
JABRONI is offline   Reply With Quote