R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-30-2003, 10:04 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

i think if the off the shelf unmodified winner is the novarossi s3 i have a friend who runs one and its really very fast he has told me all the measurements are pretty much the same as the legal limits

now if we are talking modified but still legal i have a smeltz mod sirio .12 that im willing to bet is as fast as an RTU maybe faster
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 10:56 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

IMHO

The fastest motor is
1 one that starts and finishes every race
2 one that does not hit boards and dots
3 one that does not abuse tires, bodys or A-arms

Now where do I get one of these motors?
Skip109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 10:59 AM   #18
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Skip109
IMHO

The fastest motor is
1 one that starts and finishes every race
2 one that does not hit boards and dots
3 one that does not abuse tires, bodys or A-arms

Now where do I get one of these motors?
you are talking about "fingers" instead !
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 11:53 AM   #19
Que
Tech Adept

Default any info on the Pixi .12

How is that motor compare to a Nova s3
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 12:46 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

i think the nova s3 would be faster and easier to tune
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 04:39 PM   #21
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

well I've ran the richey rtu mt12...wasn't impressed. Wanted to be, tried to hard to be, wasn't. The motor had power better than stock only way up top. The biggest complaint is the engine did not hold a tune well at all. No, I'm not the best tuner, but long-time experienced racers couldn't keep the richey running good over a main. It cost me two races before I gave up on it.

I have also ran a smeltz sirio, and while it's still new (never seen a main) and not fully broken / tuned in, it has some of the same characteristics as the richey though it is stronger off the bottom. The j-tech rossi pixie so far is the fastest roar modified I've ran. It's got gobs of yank top and bottom and the thing is getting faster every time I run it. We tuned one to 260 and the thing was a rocketship. The engine has always been incredibly reliable and tunable to top it off.

All that said I agree with some others there are a bunch of folks who can make an engine scream, but far, far fewer who win/lose races because of them.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 07:10 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to RedScorp Send a message via AIM to RedScorp Send a message via Yahoo to RedScorp

Quote:
Originally posted by Number9
True enough, but if you haven't run the creme-de-la-creme of the high end motors, then you shouldn't opine on them. I have driven them, BTW...
Being that most people either aren't capable of getting the creme-de-la-creme motors or just aren't willing to spend the money outright for one doesn't mean that their OPINION of the fastest motor they know is any less valid. After all, they are only opinions. If I run my OS .12TR and gear it tall on a medium track and spank someone's Rossi, this of course is conditional but to me, it may be the faster motor....for that track and those conditions. Fastest motors are based on many factors. Track, traction, weather, driver, tires, setup. Any of these conditions can determine a faster motor. But just because someone says that ITO a certain motor is the fastest is most likely coming from their experience and doesn't mean that they're wrong right.

BTW I think my hamster on a high complex carb. diet will spank your Richey Eagle.
RedScorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 07:22 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Wink RAW POWWRAAAA

HPI 15FE

Ooohh yeah, .12 ROAR legal motor......
PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:13 PM   #24
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

RTU is incredible fast so is the sts, and the nova mega ms race motors.. ricky quite the rtu program because the rest of the manufacturers finally balanced the field by putting competition capable motors in our hands.. they are all capable of winning at the big show and i have drivin all i have mentioned at the big show and they are all in par with each other.. it is more about the driver now..

best of luck
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:22 PM   #25
Tech Initiate

i think the new rb rody .12 is the fastest!
niffken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 10:26 PM   #26
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by RedScorp
Being that most people either aren't capable of getting the creme-de-la-creme motors or just aren't willing to spend the money outright for one doesn't mean that their OPINION of the fastest motor they know is any less valid. After all, they are only opinions. If I run my OS .12TR and gear it tall on a medium track and spank someone's Rossi, this of course is conditional but to me, it may be the faster motor....for that track and those conditions. Fastest motors are based on many factors. Track, traction, weather, driver, tires, setup. Any of these conditions can determine a faster motor. But just because someone says that ITO a certain motor is the fastest is most likely coming from their experience and doesn't mean that they're wrong right.

BTW I think my hamster on a high complex carb. diet will spank your Richey Eagle.
If we assume fastest means literally fastest terminal velocity in a given car (holding the car parameters other than gearing constant) then the engine with the biggest peak HP (where Dennis' engine do pretty well, BTW) wins as long as it's geared to reach its terminal velocity right at the HP peak - just simple physics. If we mean fastest on a tight track, then something like your OS-12TR might be fastest because it has a better torque curve than say, for example, a stock MT12 even though the latter has slightly better peak power. But I think that merely proves my earlier point that even amongst high-end engines, there are substantial differences, because the shape of the power curve is a design parameter fraught with engineering compromises.

As for your hamster, it might win, but after ingesting some 30% nitro, it'll be one sick critter...

Last edited by Number9; 04-30-2003 at 10:57 PM.
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 08:28 AM   #27
Tech Adept

Many of you are correct. There are more determining factors than just a modified engine that composes a fast vehicle on a back straight or through the infield. Has anyone noticed the person that origanally asked the question never came back on the thread? Whomever said that if you have to ask, it would not make a difference is the person that I have to agree with most.

BTW, I think that the hamster has a winning chance with the right clutch work.
sook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 09:04 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have a modified hamster for sale....incredible speed and torque!
Old 05-01-2003, 09:18 AM   #29
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to moshmxpx

does your hamster have piston pullback springs or muffler bearings?
moshmxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 10:16 AM   #30
Tech Adept

people with 0.S. engines should'nt even be allowed to post on any engine forum. there Dogs.
laro is offline   Reply With Quote