R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-28-2003, 11:52 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default engine break in set up

hi eevrybody again , i was given a hpi .15 ss motor was looking to trying it out does anybody know the set up specs for break in, the instruction sheet that came with the motor say high end neddle 6 turn from closed , the idle needle 2 turns from closed left the low end at factory but when i start it the idle is screaming i took off the linkage and tried that the same result i try to adjust the idle screw no change i feel the high end needle setting is wrong in the instruction sheet can some one please help i like my 12 ss motor but figure for free a 15 why not try it
nitroblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 11:56 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

p.s. the 15 ss motor has a slide carb
Old 04-28-2003, 12:15 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

I checked the instructions for your engine, and you are right in your settings, however if you did not buy the engine new your low speed may be off. Factory settings on the low speed is 7 turns ccw from closed. Also check your idle. Remove your air cleaner, and make sure your carb is not open more then 1mm.
nitro dipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 12:37 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

nitro dipstick you dont think that hpi could have made a mistake if the low end is set correct because i recieved the motor from a friend he never even open the box it was sealed it also is a non pull start you really think the high neddle supposed to be that high 6 turns, im comparing it to the 12 ss motor it break in setting are 3 on the high end neddle but i can be wrong on the 15 ss motor
Old 04-29-2003, 05:55 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

If your engine is screeming it means you are either running to lean or your carb is open to far. This is why I ask you to check your idle. You can also go a little richer on the low end. All engines are different. My son has an HPI evo II, his break in settings are 7 turns on the high side. Your Idle should be about 1mm open, do not go by the number of turns, check the carb.
nitro dipstick is offline   Reply With Quote