R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-11-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default car cleaning

Hi,

I'm new to rc and i just got a used car and it's kinda (really) dirty. I was wondering if someone could post some tips on cleaning the car, or post a link to a website where i can find all the information.

PS: It's a Kyosho V-One RRR Evo WCE
stephen_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to entitymugenmtx

Hey whats up use Denatured Alcohol dont spary contact to bearings and let it sit for 2 min and use a air compressor to blow it off.
entitymugenmtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
Tech Regular

pull the car apart and get the srpent cleanning putty i used to use denatured but i quit using it it drys the plastic out and its hard to not spray it on the bearings plus when you spray the air where do you think it goes right down into the bearings no alcohol
Old 07-11-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

oke
how about soaking the parts in hot water...would that help??
stephen_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Default Car cleaning..

Mugen dude is right, dont use denatured alcohol it does dry out the bearings and your plastics, and you dont want to make a mistake and get anything wet on or in your reciever, the serpent cleaning gum is the way to go, just got some and used it on my 1/8th scale and that stuff gets in nooks and cranny's like i've never seen before great stuff( p/n 1690 serpent cleaning gum.) just blow your car off really good before use.

"Free your mind, and your ass will follow"...
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
Tech Adept

First off if your car is getting real dirty and oily make sure you don't have any exaust leaks as unless you spill fuel most of the car should only get dusty with rubber etc. which will blow off or use serpent gum.
Also I generally take off the top deck and motor out and clean with alcoholto remove any oil/fuel residue just keep make sure you don't get any in the motor or tank.
ShrekNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:38 AM   #7
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

A buddy of mine sprays wd 40 on the car and then blows it off he swears by it ,though I never tried it. I mostly use the serpent gum its amazing

AWESOMATIX USA-SANWA--BSR--TEAM SCREAM --SWEEP RACING USA--TQ WIRE--ROCHE USA--LRP

Last edited by Sal Amato; 07-12-2007 at 02:09 AM.
Sal Amato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:41 AM   #8
Tech Adept

While we're on the subject of cleaning, How does one get all the gunk(grease, oil, fuel, dirt etc) caked onto the exhaust pipe off? It used to be nice and shiny, but now you can hardly see the shine?
Have tried polishes,degreasers, jif and other differnt solvents . There must be something that gets it off -- easily!!
Wild Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:01 AM   #9
Tech Elite

If the car is too dirty, you only have one option to clean it: Complete teardown and clean the plastic parts with warm soapy water (use a good degreaser) for the plastics and some denatured alcohol for the bearings and metallic parts.

This teardown will help you to inspect which is the general condition of the whole car and what parts need replacement (all the cars need replacements).

If the car was too dirty could indicate too a less than optimal cleaning and care from the previous owner along some broken rubber seals. In doubt, change all (manifold, pipe, pressure and fuel lines).

Saw many abused and dirty cars, a dirty car means a lazy owner regarding the maintenance of the car.

After this complete clean, yep, you could use Serpent putty just to remove small quantities of dirt after using and blowing with compressed air your car.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:19 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Tiger View Post
While we're on the subject of cleaning, How does one get all the gunk(grease, oil, fuel, dirt etc) caked onto the exhaust pipe off? It used to be nice and shiny, but now you can hardly see the shine?
Have tried polishes,degreasers, jif and other differnt solvents . There must be something that gets it off -- easily!!
boil your pipes in antifreez it will come off and the pipe will look brand new just dont breath the smoke
Old 07-12-2007, 06:35 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For cleaning my car i strip the whole car down, take apart the bearings clean and oil them and spray the plastics in simple green mixed with metho and scrub with a toothbrush and then blow down with the aircompressor. Cleaning gum and a paintbrush in between heats makes cleaning your car oh so much easier when you get home!

For cleaning pipes get an old ice cream container, nitro fuel and a toothbrush, i use my original RTR nitro fuel ive had for a couple years put a little fuel in the container and scrub the pipe with the toothbrush and keep dipping it into the fuel. Then for that shiny look, learn to polish! I use brasso for an awesome deep shine, it may take a little longer then some other products but looks awesome! Otherwise i've found for a quick incredibly bright shine a bit of car 'cut and polish' and a dremel polishing bit and it comes up like new
Old 07-12-2007, 07:44 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to V for Victory

mugendude can you please explain the process of the pipe in antifreeze? Sounds interesting.
V for Victory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:04 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Antifreeze in pot (outside), pipe in pot, BOIL AWAY .
LogiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:48 AM   #14
Tech Regular

well its verry easy not much to explain put antifreez in a pot on a hot plate and go out side t u r n it on and start boiling
Old 07-12-2007, 08:53 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Tiger View Post
It's a really simple process .... you'll be shocked when you
see the results!

Just go buy a cheap $10.00 - $15.00 crock pot at Wallmart
or Target, also buy a gallon of cheap / any brand antifreeze.

I generally start the process in the evening on a Friday.
1. Put all of your pipes and headers in to the crock pot.
2. Poor Antifreeze over the pipes and headers to where
you have covered them by at least a 1/2 inch.
3. MOST IMPORTANT! Keep the setting on the lowest
heat possible. If you raise the temp to High or Med
it will only put Black Stains on the pipe and will not
accelerate the process.
4. It is best to let them cook on the lowest setting until
the next morning when you can grab the pieces and
wipe them off with a rag which 95% of the gunk will
wipe off. For Best Results, put them back in for 2 hours
and then use a tooth brush to remove the tiny pieces
inside of the heat sinks ..... should be clean aluminum
again. I then wipe them off with denatured and then
rub Mother's aluminum polish for the Shiny touch.

Take care!

Terry