R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-27-2003, 07:57 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Car is unstable with body.....

I recently got a Yokomo GT-4 RTR and Ive been driving it around pretty well while I have been painting the body for the past few days. Without the body, the cars stable as all hell. As soon as I put the body on, it was like a whole other car. definitely twitchy and unstable at high speeds. If I even get off a straight line a little bit while going fast, it starts an unrecoverable (for me anyway) swerve and begins to roll. Anyone have any advice? The body is sitting about a quarter inch from the ground and I have one 2 or so inch hole in the front another in the back which is slightly smaller ( maybe by 1/2 an inch). Everything is stock, including the body. Id appreciate any help.

Kyle
Khlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 08:06 PM   #2
Tech Master

When you got the car did you check all the suspension settings (camber, toe-in, caster and whether the pillow balls on each side are adjusted evenly) and did you take the shocks apart and put oil in them?

Yokomo produce quality cars but they suck when it comes to building RTR's.

Check the set ups and look on the Yokomo Forum for different ones that might help your problem. I have posted several different set ups there using different diffs and solid axles in the drivetrain.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 08:46 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

modellor is right, your car is probably out of tweak, so when you put a body on it, the increased downforce created by the body and wing magnifies anything that is not correct.
RandyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 09:24 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Send a message via ICQ to JusDamFast Send a message via AIM to JusDamFast Send a message via Yahoo to JusDamFast

.......Or the Tires could be rubbing against the body at high speed!
Do you run rubbers or Foams?? Rubber tires tend to balloon up at high speed so it could be rubbing against the body!
Make sure that the Body is on straight!
Hope this helps, have fun!!!
JusDamFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 07:14 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson

also depending on what body it is, the wing could be smaller than the back bumper of the car. espically in nitro where air goes through the front of the car and goes out the back of the body, a large, or any real bumper for that matter acts like a wing (but it pushes in the opposite direction, and lifts the rear end up), and if you have a tiny wing (i think the 911 body does) then you basically have more force pushing up than down. so try using a real racing body if you dont already have one, but also check what the others suggested, since they are probably true as well.
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 08:11 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

Default few more questions

If you havent already guessed im fairly new to the rc world (cars anyway). It was suggested that I go over the car to make sure everything is adjusted correctly. What exactly am I looking for? I am just need information on what adjustment will have what effect. Is there an accepted standard to start as a baseline? Also I was under the impression that the wing on my 911 body was purely cosmetic. It ripped off the first time the car rolled and i havent bothered with it since. It doesnt seem large enough to make a difference. Do I need to reattach it? Sorry for so many questions but Im just trying to learn all this stuff. Thanks
Old 04-28-2003, 08:31 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

If you look somewhere in your manual, usually in the back, there is something called a set-up sheet. This sheet will tell you what everything should be set at. Camber, toe-in, ride height, droop, etc. You should also check to see if all the measurements are correct on your rtr. Pillow ball settings, shock lengths, and whether or not shocks rebound evenly. If you want to have your rtr running well, you would basically have to remeasure your entire suspension
RandyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 11:15 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson

i would suggest getting a proper racing body like a protoform stratus (orignal or 2.0) i would aviod getting HPI bodies since they fall apart (Although they are very detailed, they just dont hold up) same goes for the tamiya bodies. i would recommend a proline
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 11:48 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

I can assure you from experience that HPI bodies are crap. My Diablo didn't last one race before it cracked in several places. Get a proline but be original and buy a honda or a Vectra they are also nice racing bodies.
Speed De is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 03:38 PM   #10
Que
Tech Adept

Default What!!!!!!!

Hpi bodies are good bodies they are the most realistic and detailed lexan bodies out there! Although they can be a little weak, you can fix this 2 ways. 1 use a lot of paint!! or 2 my personal favorite. paint the body however you want then go and get some shoe goo, and some mesh drywall sticky tape.
Put the drywall tap on the inside of the body every where except the windows then cover with a thin layer of shoe goo when all is dry you have a super reinforced body with out a lot of weight. you can push that slow blocker out of your way with out any problems!! and your body doesen't lose shape at any speed!!
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 03:53 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to V-One S
Default The Wing

Definetely re attach the wing, it it is sliding the tail out, i would most definetely re attach it, no matter how small it may seem, put it back on.
V-One S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 04:02 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

i had a HPI AMG32 body, this body lasted my lots of hard crashes before it was torn. But this body doesnt work the way i like, little downforce and no steering...
If you are looking for a body for shelf display purpose, HPI is the way to go as you can get some stunning bodyshells. But if you are looking for good bodyshells that give you good handling for your car, Protoform bodyshells are the way to go...

here's the link for your reference...
http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publ.asp?pid=3086
RClover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 04:12 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to V-One S

is the actual chassis of the car 1/4 inch of the ground, or the body.

the best way to prevent slide and rolling is to have the car as low as possible.
so i'd drop it so that the body/chassis is around 5mm - 8mm from the ground.
and get the porsche body around the same.

if u know how to adjust your droop, i'd try and limit the rear droop, and stiffen the front suspension a little if it is still understeering.
but FIRST lower the car.
V-One S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 01:27 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Location: Black Diamond, Washington- its a little redneck town about 30 miles south of seattle

make sure your body is on the right way. the way to tell if it is backwards id when you hit the throttle, the car takes off down the road backwards. hope this helped
Hpi dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 02:49 PM   #15
Tech Rookie

Default oh yeah

That was brilliant HPI Dude.