R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-09-2007, 01:55 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Throttle Delay???

First off, this issue just started yesterday at the race.

I just changed from an OFNA CD3 to a G4s. All of my electronics were switched from car to car, no changes, not even the fail safe. The battery is the only difference, from a 1200 mah to an 800 mah.

I am noticing that when I hit the throttle, there is a delay, especially during slower speeds or from a stand still. While running and I keep my finger on the trigger, I don't notice it as much. I can't tell if it is happening or not. I'm pretty sure it is come to think of it because it seems sluggish coming out of the turns.

Any suggestions, please help????????????
Ex-One Eighth Racers of Toledo member :( no mo money
trumpster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

have you actually witnessed the throttle servo being delayed, or does the engine just not react quickly while the car is driving? Does it get worse after 2-3 minutes?

If the engine is reacting slowly you might want to richen the low end needle to cure a lean bogging condition.
brianhatesnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
Tech Addict

I'm pretty sure it's not the motor, but again, not 100% on anything. I need someone to stand out by the car and yell at each other to see if there is a delay because standing next to the car, there doesn't seem to be an issue.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

I would check your linkage make sure everything is kosher.

Last edited by lil-bump; 07-09-2007 at 02:44 PM.
lil-bump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just some troubleshooting ideas and questions ...

With the car off, remove the air filter from the carb, turn on your tx/rx and look inside the carb. Does the carb open properly when you pull on the throttle?

With the car on the starter box, how long does the car idle before the engine dies or does it just continue to idle?

You might want to take the engine out and disassemble the entire clutch to make sure nothing has loosened itself. That's happened to me before.

What engine are you using and what is your clutch nut set at?
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #6
Tech Addict

The linkage is pretty solid. The only thing that bothers me is that the linkage to the carb is on an angle, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

RMD - I'll check out all of your comments this week and see what happens. Thanks for the tips.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:57 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Oh I see now - you're running the CRF. razzor and ZOOM are running the G4S with the CRF, so those guys should be able to help you with the clutch setup.
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:51 PM   #8
Tech Adept

I'm in agreement with RMD, in that your clutch is off. Check with the guys in the G4 threads for a good starting place for your engine/clutch.

If I'm not mistaken the CD3 has a shoe clutch, where the G4 has a centax style clutch. A improperly setup centax clutch will make the engine seem "delayed" in reaction time.

If the engine is really trying to rev up without moving, you need to back off the clutch nut until it starts to move at approx. 1/4 throttle.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:06 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

I also think the problem is in your clutch.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:04 AM   #10
Tech Addict

I had upgraded my clutch on the CD3 to the power clutch, so I have had experience with setting up centax clutches. It seems to be engaging about right. When close by the stand it revs fine when taking it easy on the throttle, then takes off smoothly.

It seems like coming out of the corner and hitting the throttle (full) it hesitates before I even see smoke.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:11 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Throttle delay

If you are running the CRF, you need to use the clutch set-up for that engine.
I have two CFR engines at the moment, and they both were dogs from a stop.
When I installed the clutch set-up for the CRF engine, I could not believe the difference.
Also, check your radio to see if you have any expo. dialed in. This would also delay the throttle
brc358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #12
Tech Addict

BRC - I have used the CRF for almost a year now, and it just started. Yes, it is a different clutch, but it is the same concept. It worked great with the power clutch from OFNA. So, maybe it is the UFO clutch that is giving it hell. But then again, the clutch seems to be engaging fine, it's just that when I pull full throttle, nothing happens for like 1 second, no smoke, no sound, no nothing!!!
Old 07-10-2007, 12:38 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Throttle delay

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpster1 View Post
BRC - I have used the CRF for almost a year now, and it just started. Yes, it is a different clutch, but it is the same concept. It worked great with the power clutch from OFNA. So, maybe it is the UFO clutch that is giving it hell. But then again, the clutch seems to be engaging fine, it's just that when I pull full throttle, nothing happens for like 1 second, no smoke, no sound, no nothing!!!
Did you check your expo on your radio.
It sounds more like it is a delay from the radio to the receiver, which would be the expo on the radio itself.
brc358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:48 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Okay, here's the deal. I raced again yesterday and there was NO delay what so ever. It was actually insane power for the entire throttle band. I found that my problem was actually the carb. For some reason the tightening screw kept coming loose and when I would pull the throttle, the entire carb would move and give a delay. What a crock. After about 20 minutes working on the carb, I finally got it to stay in one place. Now I just need new tires because I pretty much was running on plastic by the mains, which I had no traction (because of running on plastic) and still placed 3rd in the B main with 20 laps in 15 minutes. The traction was so bad that I was doing donuts on every turn with a front spool!!!! I tell everyone, I am there for "Entertainment purposes only". I did a complete barrel roll and slid half way down the back stretch on my lid, hit the wall, flipped over, and kept going!!! This G4S is taking one Helluva beating!!!