R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   removing tires from rims? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/17153-removing-tires-rims.html)

AndrewtheRCman 04-27-2003 12:59 PM

removing tires from rims?

i have my rtr TC3 that i need new tires for, because the old ones just magnify torqe steer....i mean, i like torque steer when im powersliding, but i want my car to drive right whn i peg it

anyways i wanna kep my rims. what do i do to ake off my tires?

XtremeMDX 04-27-2003 01:27 PM

Boil some water.

Once it's boiling drop the tire and rims, do this 2 at a time. It's hard to watch all 4. The heat should soften the glue without melting you rims. If you peel the tires and some rubber is left over on the rim that's okey. Use an Xacto knife to get most of the rubber out. Sand down the sides where the new rubbers will be attached to so you can get better adhesion. You're done. The only drawback to this is that the rims might be a little softer than it was originally since the heat will tend to soften the plastic or nylon rims.

cybertoolzz 04-27-2003 05:14 PM

or just switch to foams - foams run better and cost less...

Old Skool 04-27-2003 05:54 PM

Acetone works wonders on removing old glue. Let the rims soak for awhile (preferably a few hours), the rubber pretty much falls off the wheel like well-cooked meat off the bone.

Foams: the only disadvatage is faster and uneven wear, compared to rubber tires.

me43 04-27-2003 06:14 PM

Originally posted by cybertoolzz
or just switch to foams - foams run better and cost less...
you can also say good bye to the stock class when you switch to foams:nod: :D :nod:

AndrewtheRCman 04-27-2003 07:20 PM

id raher say by by to foams. they do 2 things i dont like, hook up too well for my driving style and they wear too fast

RandyT 04-27-2003 07:41 PM

I found this in Nitroreview.com, and works great.

This works like a charm. Preheat your oven to 400 - 450 F, TURN IT OFF!!! Then place your tires/wheels in the oven and let set for about 45 minutes. As the oven cools, it crystalized the CA and you can simply POP the tires off of the wheels. No the tires won't melt and the rims won't either. I didn't believe it at first either but it works beyond your expectations. CAUTION: Use oven mitts when you take the tires out of the oven unless you let it cool right down. The key is 400 - 450 F, TURN OFF THE OVEN, place wheels/tires in oven for 45 minutes and WALLA! Try it!

sausage_link 04-28-2003 01:09 AM

if u have nylon rims u can use nail polish remover to take the glue off

Old Skool 04-28-2003 10:07 PM

Originally posted by sausage_link
if u have nylon rims u can use nail polish remover to take the glue off
Nail polish remover = acetone :lol:

I'd rather buy a big can of acetone at a hardware store, than be seen at the local makeup counter trying to score some nail polish remover...:p

Speed De 04-29-2003 12:04 AM

While I was cleaning my RC I accidently found that ethyl alcohol disolves the glue I use for my tires. Well I actually found it rhe next day on the track on the first hairpin where I lost my rear left tire.:) I don't think acetone is realy appropriate to use with foams but with rubber tires it might work.

RClover 04-29-2003 02:35 AM

Originally posted by Old Skool
Nail polish remover = acetone :lol:

I'd rather buy a big can of acetone at a hardware store, than be seen at the local makeup counter trying to score some nail polish remover...:p

this way you can have a good chat with the Make-Up counter chick...and ask for her phone number...:D :D :p

shortyboy 04-29-2003 02:58 AM

then i'd get slapped in the back of my head by my girlfriend!hahaha.btw,thanx for the tips,i think i'm going to try the oven trick.

RandyT 04-29-2003 08:00 AM

Hahahahahaha :lol:

esham 04-29-2003 08:11 AM

Tried in Oven

I did tried put in my tires - it burns! Aaaaghh!

RandyT 04-29-2003 08:13 AM

I also forgot to add...when you do this..make sure you leave open the windows, unless of course you like the smell of burnt rubber. But it works really well, and you can do a bunch at a time.