R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-06-2007, 09:21 PM   #16
Tech Elite

i have a ko ex1 mars and the sm 1000 tx and 3000 rx in my mugen and iv never had a problem so far.
but i always have my tx batts charged as full as they can be.and im thinking of going lipo.

now the 3pk thats a nice radio.thinking of getting it coz my ko is getting old.
but it still works so its had to change.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:40 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlosi79 View Post
I did try rebinding, multiple times.It unfortunately did not help.The radio is brand new so it may come to sending it in,I dont know anyone personally that has a z1, if i see someone with one I will ask them.I did notice that where the pins are soldered to the board that plug into the module were not soldered very well, so that may have been the problem, i Cleaned up the connections to the board to ensure a good connection..I cant figure out how they would not have been soldered properly to begin with, everything else looked good in the tx and tx module.
you don't have to find someone with just a Z1 to test your rx's.... anyone with a Spektrum can bind to your rx's. The KO Helios and the Z1 use the same tx module so you could test your tx module with a Z1 or a Helios, although if I was you I'd be sending the Z1 back to JR on Monday morning.
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:31 PM   #18
Tech Regular

check the solder of the antenna to the board. Mine had the same symptoms and when I opened the reciever, the antenna was barely hanging on the board.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:27 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnitro View Post
check the solder of the antenna to the board. Mine had the same symptoms and when I opened the reciever, the antenna was barely hanging on the board.
I have a Helios which I did the antenna mod on as well. The antenna wire on the Spektrum tx and rx modules are not soldered on the pcb board. They snap on just like a snap type button on a jacket- only on a very small scale.

madlosi79- if you send the Z1 back to JR, personally I would send everything back to Spektrum as well at the same time. You may be down for a few weeks, but everything will be in good repair when you get it back. It sucks being down, but it would be even worse if you plowed your car into a wall at 50mph and trashed your chassis and engine as it revved to heaven. For kicks check each cells voltage in your battery packs.

Currently I wish I bought a Z1 instead of the Helios because JR has a three year warranty and KO will only warranty your $250 radio for 90 days?? It's the same radio with a different badge??
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:24 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelong View Post
I have a Helios which I did the antenna mod on as well. The antenna wire on the Spektrum tx and rx modules are not soldered on the pcb board. They snap on just like a snap type button on a jacket- only on a very small scale.
cdelong,

The antenna on the Tx snaps on the board, but the antenna on the Rx is soldered on.... If the rx antenna is just hanging on by a few wires, I would imagine the signal will get weak, and cause delays.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:56 AM   #21
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
I did try rebinding, multiple times.It unfortunately did not help.The radio is brand new so it may come to sending it in,I dont know anyone personally that has a z1, if i see someone with one I will ask them.I did notice that where the pins are soldered to the board that plug into the module were not soldered very well, so that may have been the problem, i Cleaned up the connections to the board to ensure a good connection..I cant figure out how they would not have been soldered properly to begin with, everything else looked good in the tx and tx module.

You should come to LST forums

Last edited by Maximo; 07-13-2007 at 09:01 PM.
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Send the radio and receiver back to Horizon with a note. They will repair it and send it back to you quickly. There repair service is superb.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #23
Tech Master

Hi

I am trying to increase the range of my radio equipment and found out some interesting things.

Firstly I tried running my car and I only got like 200 ft so I tested the range by taking the receiver out of the car, connecting one servo and a battery and tesing the distance.

IF you put the antenna on the receiver AND the antenna on the Transmitter parrallel you can get 2000ft (yes 2k) range. Now if there is any kink in the wire the range drops dramatically.

I suggest you take the receiver out and re rout the antenna so it comes out of the case and is routed in a straight line vertical. I used a 1/12th pan car ridged aerial for this.

Heres what else you can do. The antenna on the TX is a 1db large E-plane antenna. You can replace this with a 5,7 or 9db antenna. You need one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pigtail-cable-RP...QQcmdZViewItem

and then one of these

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/24g...na_7dbi_sm.php

Take the RX apart and unplug the lead from the mother board then replace it with a pigtail. Plug in the new 5,7 or 9 db antenna and there you go

Only problem is the e-plane. If the tx and RX antenna are not within 25 deg of each other you loose the signal

I tested the radio to 3000 ft and ran out of space and it was still working 100%

Cheers

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have the same problem with my for the 3PK. Found out that the wire on my RX came loose from the circuit board.

Come and think about it, I have to send it in and get it fix both my RX and TX module. Cuz..my TX module have a broken antenna.
superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:12 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Quote:
I have a jr z1 with the pro spektrum module I am using all grey recievers, no "pro models".One car is a delta xp4 the other a mugen mrx4-r they both have the same radio issue.I am only getting about 180-200 feet before I loose contact with the nitro powered car, the failsafe is not kicking in the car just rolls to a stop.I know the failsafe is programmed right because when i test it on the bench it works fine.The last time the car disconnected I left the radio on my tailgate and walked the 200 or so ft distance to get the car I noticed the failsafe not engauged,the green light on the reciever was on and solid both servos were also in thier neutral positions..no humming jittering no nothing.so i set the car back on the ground and walked back to the truck and there was no connection to the radio.I grabbed the car and brought it back to the truck and everything worked as it should, and it does untill the 200 foot mark or so.I have a dx3.0 aswell and when that radio was installed it never disconnected but at 300 or so feet the signal would get really really delayed.I would pull the trigger and about a half a second or so later the car would recieve the signal i sent it.I called horizon about it and they just gave me the"I dont know" and said to send in the radios, I find it hard to believe that 2 different modules in the jr radio and the 6 recievers i have all being defective..all the gear is brand new also.Im using a 1200 mah batt pack in one car and a 2000 mah pack in the other car at this point i have ruled out the batteries as a possibility.There is a really big race in like 2 days im going to and im hoping to fix this whatever it is before then any advice is appriciated.

Thanks for your help in advance.
i need to ask you some questions. if this occurs and you happen to be at full throddle and full turn and you are using fet servos you may be experiance what spektrum calls brown out. My guess is that you use a standard1400 pack in your car. the fix spektrum makes a 6.00 diode that hold a charge to keep you at 6v because under 6 volts spectrum receivers die out if you get through the area it should come back if not try torebind your radio.