R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2007, 01:08 AM   #1
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 723
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default setup tips/theory about front overdrive

Hi guys,
i dont know it has been ask b4, i would like to learn more about front overdrive...
what is the effect of more/0/less front overdrive??
will this front overdrive affect more front tire wear??
thanks in advance...

cheers,
ck
ck960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:30 AM   #2
Tech Master
 
thamjk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck960 View Post
Hi guys,
i dont know it has been ask b4, i would like to learn more about front overdrive...
what is the effect of more/0/less front overdrive??
will this front overdrive affect more front tire wear??
thanks in advance...

cheers,
ck

front overdrive mean front wheel turn faster then rear.

to increase front overdrive, reduce the front side pulley's teeth. ie from 22t to 21T

frontover drive increase on trottle steering. but some cases it will reduce off trottle steering.

increase front roll center because you need to run front tyre smaller from the start.
__________________
Serpent 710
Nova MAX
3PK
thamjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:46 AM   #3
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 723
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

thanks for the reply... i'm still very new to this setup...
when u say front rotate faster... is it during acceration or during full speed...
becos if change front side pulley 22 to 21 i think during accer will be slower then when top speed will be faster???
ck960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:06 AM   #4
Tech Regular
 
pramac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 319
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Front overdrive means that for every revolution the rear tyre makes the front tyre will rotate more than one revolution, and will be a constant ratio ie. will not change depending on whether you are accelerating or at top speed.
__________________
Gavin.
Bayside - http://www.wynnumrc.org.au

Kyosho V One RRR Evo
Novarossi Plus 12-3SCT
pramac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:25 AM   #5
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 723
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramac View Post
Front overdrive means that for every revolution the rear tyre makes the front tyre will rotate more than one revolution, and will be a constant ratio ie. will not change depending on whether you are accelerating or at top speed.
thanks for the explanation...
i'm trying to make my ride (S710) to get back a std front overdrive cos i change the rear drive already from 24t/45t(std) to 22t/47t. mainly due to belt tension and better accer....
the front is 19t/35t and the side is 22t/22t...
any suggestion... anyone thanks...

cheers,
ck
ck960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:05 AM   #6
Tech Elite
 
duneland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NW Indiana, USA
Posts: 2,403
Default

Increased overdrive will DECREASE steering on power. Reduce or eliminate overdrive to increase on-power steering, speed, and efficiency. Increase overdrive to make car more forgiving on corner exit.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:09 AM   #7
Tech Adept
 
Simon M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 189
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

serpent has a drive calculator you can download from
http://www.serpent.com/product/803005/downloads/
__________________
Serpent 960
Serpent 720
Serpent S400
Serpent S120
Tamiya M03-R
www.serpentradiocontrolcars.com.au
www.smaracing.org
Simon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:13 AM   #8
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 723
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

wow... i'm abit lost here,
by using the serpent drive calculator... when change the front to 18/35 and side 22/21 with rear 22/47 the front overdrive is 3.16% with tire 60F and 61R.
is this a good starting point???

or should i go with...
19/35 front, 22/22 side and 22/47 rear =14.07% front overdrive???
ck960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:44 AM   #9
Tech Elite
 
Corse-R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Madrid (Spain)
Posts: 2,121
Default

Sorry... but somewhat escapes to me in this chain of posts (nothing wrong... everything is correct) but... why need someone mess with the pulley teeth numbers if he runs foams and he can freely cut at whatever he wants just to test it?.

Rather than start a search for suitable pulleys belts I feel that's much practical to play with some tyre split sizes and is a fine a quick way to test for itself is he wants more or less overdrive.
__________________
Cheers,
Corse-R
---
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:06 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic
 
Julius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Amsterdam Netherlands
Posts: 980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck960 View Post
thanks for the explanation...
i'm trying to make my ride (S710) to get back a std front overdrive cos i change the rear drive already from 24t/45t(std) to 22t/47t. mainly due to belt tension and better accer....
the front is 19t/35t and the side is 22t/22t...
any suggestion... anyone thanks...

cheers,
ck
use 24/47 rear 35 19 front and 21 on the 2speed 22 on the mid shaft.
This is the stock ratio on the 720.
1mm smaller fronts will give 1:1
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #11
Tech Elite
 
duneland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NW Indiana, USA
Posts: 2,403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck960 View Post
wow... i'm abit lost here,
by using the serpent drive calculator... when change the front to 18/35 and side 22/21 with rear 22/47 the front overdrive is 3.16% with tire 60F and 61R.
is this a good starting point???

or should i go with...
19/35 front, 22/22 side and 22/47 rear =14.07% front overdrive???
That is a lot of overdrive! I would reduce it.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:22 PM   #12
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 723
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius View Post
use 24/47 rear 35 19 front and 21 on the 2speed 22 on the mid shaft.
This is the stock ratio on the 720.
1mm smaller fronts will give 1:1
thanks all for the comment...
i'm using 22/47 rear cos i cant get a good belt tension cos it's a 710 when using the gear diff(47)... the belt is too tight...
what will too much overdrive affect the car handling?? is it not recomended??
is it the best to get clost to 1:1??
i'll try the smallest overdrive pulley configuration... then play with the tire to get close to 1:1...

cheers,
ck
ck960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
front diff overdrive ewallace Nitro On-Road 1 07-23-2008 01:34 PM
SETUP TIPS FOR TX/RX rcabj Malaysian R/C Racers 41 01-13-2008 01:55 AM
Sedan setup tips/theory for technical track... rmdhawaii Nitro On-Road 22 07-04-2007 12:33 PM
B4 setup tips dado11g Electric Off-Road 28 07-26-2005 11:21 PM
Setup tips for XXX-NT igkyoa Electric Off-Road 10 11-02-2003 02:21 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:07 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net