R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-26-2003, 05:04 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Nova Rossi

I'm buying an NR RS12S3 for my NTC3. While talking to my LHS, he said that OS engines are much more reliable and easier to tune. He said the NR engines are unreliable. Looking through these forums, it seems like the concensus is that the NR based engines are the top engines.

Are the NR engines easy enough to tune? Do the run as well and reliably as the OS engines? I already know that they blow the doors off of them.

Thanks!!
nitrocannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 05:16 PM   #2
Tech Master

Well, I would say he is talking the truth to an extent.

The Novarossi is a very reliable engine. But with all racing engines at top level they are bound to have a failure at some stage. But Novarossi engines are easy to tune.

The OS is more reliable and easier to tune than the Novarossi based engines but then again they dont produce the same power and the result is a slower engine that will run forever
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 07:41 PM   #3
Tech Regular

I wouldnt buy another os engiens if you paid me they are not as near a novarossi, but remember novarossi are racing motors, where as the os aint as power full and the quality in the os arnt up to scratch, because ive had aluminium dags in the carby.
buy a novarossi you wont regret it!

jeremy
rrgt_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 11:02 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Default Novarossi and OS...

I have an OS, A Top(Novarossi based engine) and a Novarossi S5. The S5 is similar to the S3 except for the 5 port and Turbo but HP are identical. My OS and Top has the same HP and are both side exhaust and I can tell you that Top can blow the doors off the OS anyday. Tuning was actually easier on the Top. For some reason it was a pain in the #@% to get the carb to hold the setting on the OS. The Top was just more consistent and faster. If you get the S3 you probably will never go back to an OS, I know I won't. The Novas also respond very well to mods. Just remember these 2 motors were built for different purposes. The OS is more for the regular consumer with daily reliability as the priority while the Novarossi is more for racing in mind. Tuning the Novarossi is a little harder than the OS but it does not take a nitro expert to tune it. If you have tuned nitro engines before then tuning the Novarossi engine should be easy. The S3 will be a little harder to break-in compared to the OS. If you follow a few tips then you should be ok. The fit of the pistons and sleeve are really tight, it has tons of compression compared to the OS and the S3 will need a little more prepping before you start up the S3 the first time.
XtremeMDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 02:35 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Cool

My JP S1 is a lot better than the OS TR 12 the novarossi has alot more power at the bottom and the top end and rev a lot harder so I think the novarossi is the best buy for Pro Tourers.
VoneRkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 11:46 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

extreme..what are the differences between the s1 and s2 versions that Trinity shows on their web site..also,where did you find the s3?...
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 01:53 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
extreme..what are the differences between the s1 and s2 versions that Trinity shows on their web site..also,where did you find the s3?...
The S3 & S3 JP are just the same in Hp 1.5 each only differences is the JP has more power on the bottom end. But S1 JP has only 1.35 Hp thats is a big differences.
Old 04-27-2003, 01:55 PM   #8
Tech Elite

they don't even have a JP s3 listed..just s1,s2,and s3..
Old 04-27-2003, 02:01 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Default S1 and S2 difference....

I'm not too sure let me check on that, I only know the particulars on the S3 and S5, but if I'm not mistaken the S1 is a 4 port(non-turbo), 36,000 rpm @ 1.35 Hp while the S2 if you are referring to the RS12T5S2 then this is I think is identical to the S5(it's full model name I suspect)in that case that would put the S2 within 1.5 HP (turbo)@ 38,000 rpm, and lighter at 215 grams vs 240 for the S1. My LHS has the S3 in stock, and the Sirio with the blue head as well. I'm saving up to get the S3 since I will buy a package with the Dynamite manifold and a X12 non turbo pipe, clutch bell, MIP clutch, flywheel and pinions, and motor mounts. I want to have the convenience of just swapping out the whole set as one unit to ease the change over since I only have one NTC3 in the meantime.
XtremeMDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 02:38 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Cool

We can't run the S5 in Aust because of our rules but we are running turbo plugs in our motors that makes a differnces.
the S3 to the S5 are the only differnces is it 5 ports and it RPM 38,000.Novarossi web site.
Old 04-27-2003, 03:06 PM   #11
Tech Master

It goes as follows

S1 - SG Crank
S2 - Standard Threaded Crank

Now, newer models come with S3 or T5

As follows:

RS12 S3 S1 -stands for non Turbo 3-port with SG shaft

RS12 T5 S1 - stands for Turbo 5-port with SG Shaft

RS12 S5 S2 - stands for Non-Turbo 5-port with standard shaft

Last edited by modellor; 04-27-2003 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-27-2003, 04:35 PM   #12
Tech Initiate

Thanks Guys! I'm ordering an RS12S3. Here's the link if anyone else is interested. He has a dozen of them coming in. Should be there in a week or so... I'm not sure how many more are available.

http://www.gasrccar.com/
nitrocannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 05:02 PM   #13
Tech Elite

thanks modellor...as usual,trinity has everything wrong..hers their listing.

RS12S1 NovaRossi .12 NovaRossi .12 RS12S1 - Slide Carb SG Shaft,3 ports, ABC piston and sleeve. Fits most 1/10 touring cars, ROAR legal. $359.99
RS12S1TR NovaRossi .12 "Long Stroke" NovaRossi .12 RS12S1TR - Slide Carb, Bigger head, SG, 3 ports, ABC piston and sleeve, long stroke. Replacement for Mugen 1/10th off-road trucks. ROAR Legal. $359.99
RS12S2 NovaRossi .12 NovaRossi .12 "ROAR Legal" RS12S2, Slide Carb, Threaded Shaft, 3 ports, ABC piston and sleeve. Fits most off-road trucks, ROAR legal. $359.99
RS12S2TR NovaRossi .12 NovaRossi .12 RS12S2TR - Rear Exhaust, Slide Carb, Bigger head, Threaded Shaft, 3 ports, ABC piston and sleeve, long stroke. Fits on-road or off-road cars that use slide

what exactly is the difference between a TR version and a std...

also,are any of these the short stroke motor like the MR 12...and what stroke version are the RB x 12's?...

thanks..your my hero..
Old 04-27-2003, 05:08 PM   #14
Tech Master

The TR range are designed for Trucks. They have a longer stroke to produce more torque to turn the larger truck wheels. The head is also slightly bigger to help keep the engine a lot cooler while churning out all that torque under high load.
Old 04-27-2003, 05:11 PM   #15
Tech Elite

does that mean that the rs12s1 is a short stroke motor comparable to a MR 12?.....and if so,how would they both compare to a std 3 port RB RE(is that short stroke also?)..thanks